News   Aug 28, 2024
 715     3 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 388     0 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 434     0 

Candidates and their subway plans... The Star tells you which one is more credible

Which Subway/Transit plan do you support

• Sarah Thomson

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Rocco Rossi

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Joe Pantalone

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • George Smitherman

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Rob Ford

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters
You know you keep bringing up how certain lines are "already funded and construction is ready to begin" as if there's no turning back. Ironically I seem to recall mayor Miller not having a problem with canceling the island airport bridge, which was approved and construction ready to begin. Miller ran on a platform of eliminating the bridge so, right or wrong, I can't imagine why a candidate running on a platform to cancel TC (including those lines that are funded) would not follow through once elected.

Seems only Miller is allowed to halt (at the expense of millions of dollars) capital projects.

Another anti-Miller rant?

Assuming Rob Ford wins, why would Metrolinx even listen to him,considering he is clearly anti-transit? Metrolinx holds the cards, not the next Mayor. Like it or not, they are going to have to convince Metrolinx why cancelling TC is such a good idea.

But it is the City that decides where transit goes ie the planning dept. Metrolinx may have the authority and money to build but it is Toronto that deides what streets it will allow where the lines go.

No kidding.

The SOS website looks like pretty basic and uninspiring!
"I can't take them seriously because their website isn't as nicely designed as one designed by a publicly funded transit agency!"

Maybe you should tell Al-Quaida that they might become more popular if people had an easier time finding their mission statement on their website. :rolleyes:

But really, the biggest reasons that the LRTistas have for TC being good is that Miller liked LRTs. The TTC reports that already assumed we'd be building LRT and just needed verification, the fact that we're planning to build TC and not subways, the fact that TC has a pretty site, it's all because one person said "you're building LRT."
The people behind subways have pulled up data from everywhere, old reports that said that Sheppard had demand for subway, calculations we've done to the best of our ability that pretty clearly shows that we should be building subway instead of LRT, and some simple logic that totally discredits TC's initial assumptions. The most that I've seen from the TC supporters is hiding behind reports that were specifically made to exclude any other transit mode, and then calling everything else a farce.

BTW....................seeing a western leg of the DRL would certainly use atleast some of the Georgetown rail ROW how is the much higher frequency of the GO line effect a possible subway not only in terms of construction but also using the corridor?

It's true. Latest polls show Pantalone is 3rd, behind Smitherman, and Ford. He's at 10%, Rossi polled a bit lower, and Thomson is way back at 5%

http://jackandcokewithalime.blogspot.com/2010/06/latest-poll-rob-ford-takes-lead-in.html

Juan is correct.
I was talking about the fact he assumed that TC is what the public wants, after 90% of the public would seem to not support the plan, and that he's well behind one candidate who wants to rip TC to shreds, and another who is making pretty drastic changes to the official transit expansion plan.

"I can't take them seriously because their website isn't as nicely designed as one designed by a publicly funded transit agency!"

Maybe you should tell Al-Quaida that they might become more popular if people had an easier time finding their mission statement on their website. :rolleyes:

Well then, all the more reason why the SOS website should be more professional looking!

If it's gonna be designed by a wookie, then I will consider you nothing more than wookies! :D

Another anti-Miller rant?

Assuming Rob Ford wins, why would Metrolinx even listen to him,considering he is clearly anti-transit? Metrolinx holds the cards, not the next Mayor. Like it or not, they are going to have to convince Metrolinx why cancelling TC is such a good idea.

Don't skirt the issue. If the Island airport bridge could be canceled than who's to say that the next mayor couldn't cancel parts of, or the whole, TC plan? Hmmm? Since you support the continuation of plans that "are funded and approved" than you must have been against the cancelation of the Island bridge, is that not a logical conclusion.

I think the SOS website is actually really nicely designed.

Honestly, though, both Smitherman and Pantalone are running on transit platforms that essentially amount to building the TC lines already under construction. At this point it's obvious that not all of Transit City is going to be built, but I don't see even the most diehard "LRTista" is surprised or all that broken up by that.

I do appreciate some of what Keith was saying above about letting the SELRT get built. It's a huge test for the TTC, the City and Metrolinx. If they bungle the operation of it than it's pretty much the death knell for any future surface-level LRT routes in this city.

Don't skirt the issue. If the Island airport bridge could be canceled than who's to say that the next mayor couldn't cancel parts of, or the whole, TC plan? Hmmm? Since you support the continuation of plans that "are funded and approved" than you must have been against the cancelation of the Island bridge, is that not a logical conclusion.

Miller ran on the platform of cancelling the bridge. It got him elected. So he did it.

Any candidate who runs on the platform of canceling LRT lines under construction will be branded as anti-transit.

Back