News   Apr 18, 2024
 474     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     0 

Calatrava's Chicago Spire (Chicago)

Panoramic View

November 5, 2007

86528331vy3.jpg

Those townhouses are going to have a surreal view - although when you're that close its not even a view.

Curious, the Ogden Slip in the foreground is unusually wide in this SolarWind photograph.

Curious, the Ogden Slip in the foreground is unusually wide in this SolarWind photograph.
It's due to the perspective and from the distortion of stitching multiple photos together. It was the best I could do within a reasonable amount of time.

Newest Chicago Spire Renderings while U/C - the Black and White Version

Original Posted Renderings at the Official Chicago Spire Website:

Black and White Renderings - Changes at the Summit

SpireNew2.jpg
SpireNew3.jpg

Two images above, Courtesy SSP / Alliance

Black and White Renderings – No Change in Lobby Walls or Ceilings

SpireNew1.jpg

Image above, Courtesy SSP / Alliance

Newest Chicago Spire Renderings while U/C - the Colour Version

Original Posted Renderings at the Official Chicago Spire Website:

Colour Renderings – East View, through Skyscraper thicket

cs8ie3.jpg

Colour Renderings – North by Northeast View, across Chicago River in early Evening darkness

cs9vj6.jpg

Two images above, Courtesy SSP / spyguy

I know this is going to sound ridiculous but I thought it would look taller than that. Perhaps its just because they are preliminary renderings but I was underwhelmed by its effect on the skyline. Stunning building though...just stunning

Underwhelmed? To me it does the exact opposite. This is going to do to Chicago what the CN Tower did to Toronto. It will make the rest of the skyline seem shorter than it really is. Especially with it located right on the waterfront and not further back behind the skyline or mixed in with it.

An absolutely mind-boggling project....wish we had another Calatrava here..

Seeing the highrises going up in other cities is a poignant reminder of how conservative architecture in Toronto remains. Even the fins on the BA Centre were too much.

I'm actually not a fan of this tower. Chicago is full of great architecture and this mediocre design will take away from the rest of the skyline due to it's height. This building would be better at half the height.

Back