News   Apr 18, 2024
 244     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 406     0 

Brampton Transit/Zum

^ I wish there was a priority signal at the Malton GO Station entrance at Derry. It can feel like a long wait when your sitting on the bus waiting for the light to change. Also, it's a terrible walk from the station building to the buses that stop on Derry. There is no sidewalk. Lots of opportunities for improvement at Malton.
The Airport Priority Bus made it into the high category for Metrolinx's report, hopefully that will include priority signals for Malton GO.

Written deputation submitted to the Metrolinx board meeting from Brampton's CAO includes a map of future Zum routes that mostly aligns with the routes in the "Advancing Transit Priorities" map.

Here's a rough comparison (feedback welcomed) between the last slide from the City of Brampton's presentation in the above-noted letter, and the Brampton portion of the map from the Advancing Transit Priorities presentation.

1582570427346.png

Today Brampton City Council at the budget committee today did a motion to fund the transit service expansion proposed as an option in the 2020 Budget, this features funding to extend the 505 to Pearson Airport with 10,400 hours (which GTAA expressly delegated and requested be done), as well as fund 16,600 hours of Zum service, and 25,000 conventional transit hours. They also apparently rejected Brampton Transit's recommendation to increase youth fares by 5 cents, this may cut into the service hours slightly, This is rather positive news for Brampton Transit as it is a continuation of the steady year after year service increases.

CORRECTION: The increase was extending the 505 to the Airport, and $1.5 million net for additional new service hours.

Last edited:
1582999618005.png

January Ridership has been posted, up 16% year over year. Last year had more bad weather in January, but that can't account for anywhere near 16% ridership increase. It appears those hours that were placed in September have now taken full effect. I am still currently unclear where in the system this ridership has been accommodated.

EDIT: I have performed some further statistical analysis, the average difference between January and the monthly average is 9.1%, with a standard deviation of 2.3%. If I drop the major outlier of 2013 where it was only 4.4% higher (next lowest was 2007 with 7.2% higher), the standard deviation becomes 1.8% on an average increase of 10.1%.

So what does that mean?
With outlier: Average of 37.2m rides with the 95% confidence range being 34.6-39.3m
Without outlier: Average of 37.0m rides with the 95% confidence range being 35.5-39.1m

Either way, I have serious concerns about the capacity of Brampton Transit to handle this potential increase

Last edited:
^ How many traffic lights (if any) are coordinated with Brampton Transit buses? In the immediate short term, that might provide some assistance.

Have there been any recent discussions about extending BT to Georgetown?

Not that I'm aware of. I'd expect that Halton Hills would contract its own transit if it ever did, much like Caledon did for its Bolton service. There's not yet a logical BT route to extend into Georgetown. I could see the outlet mall at 401/Trafalgar as being a priority for a BT connection, given the amount of workers there. I could see Milton, BT, and a HH route connecting there at some point.

Back