News   Apr 16, 2024
 129     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

Brampton Transit/Zum

I'm really surprised that Valleywood isn't yet served by an extension of an existing Brampton bus route, given how close it is.

Bolton may be served by a contracted private operator, like how YRT is operated. Brampton Transit is hitting another wall: bus storage capacity. A third garage is planned in the northeastern part of the city, close to Bolton.

If York Region ever decides to provide the subdivisions in and around Kleinburg with transit service, then YRT could serve Bolton much easier than Brampton Transit could.

Btw, is it just me or does the Brampton Transit map never load.

Development is moving north along 50, and east along Mayfield. I'd imagine there will be BT service there within a decade.

Tweet from the City of Brampton about electric buses.

1579623076502.png

1579623085052.png

1579623090875.png

Brampton Transit ridership was up in 2019, but by a very modest 2.16% to 31.9 million. This pales in comparison to massive ridership increases in the two previous years.

I can think of two reasons for this.

1. Patrick Brown's promise to flatline property tax increases really minimized the planned service improvements this year. Most off-peak improvements planned were not implemented, with improvements to respond to crowding taking top priority.
2. Once again, there has been a plateau of easy ridership growth, with the subway connection in place. It will take major improvements to fix that.

I'm really surprised that Valleywood isn't yet served by an extension of an existing Brampton bus route, given how close it is.

Bolton may be served by a contracted private operator, like how YRT is operated. Brampton Transit is hitting another wall: bus storage capacity. A third garage is planned in the northeastern part of the city, close to Bolton.
There is now an 81 Mayfield starting at the Sandalwood Loop, north to Mayfield, east to Kennedy, then North to the roundabout. It runs peak only and started in September

Bolton is served by Voyago, and they are having serious second thoughts about it, because it is cash $4, no Presto, not transfers. moving to Brampton Transit would give them Presto, and integrated into the 905 transfer system. Yes, an issue is Brampton doesn't have enough buses.

If York Region ever decides to provide the subdivisions in and around Kleinburg with transit service, then YRT could serve Bolton much easier than Brampton Transit could.

Btw, is it just me or does the Brampton Transit map never load.
The Brampton Transit System Map is 25 megabytes, I'm pretty sure it is all vector graphics. I will talk to them about making it smaller. The benefit of it being vector is you can view it at 3200% and it still looks crisp.

Brampton Transit ridership was up in 2019, but by a very modest 2.16% to 31.9 million. This pales in comparison to massive ridership increases in the two previous years.

I can think of two reasons for this.

1. Patrick Brown's promise to flatline property tax increases really minimized the planned service improvements this year. Most off-peak improvements planned were not implemented, with improvements to respond to crowding taking top priority.
2. Once again, there has been a plateau of easy ridership growth, with the subway connection in place. It will take major improvements to fix that.d
0. Ridership in the first chunk of the year was terrible, especially February, but February ridership falls under Acts of God for ridership, the snow was terrible. In September things got a lot better, more service meant there was enough capacity to grow. They needed those 18 buses.
1. Senior management in BT promised to me that they are delivering the hours they approved. The reason it doesn't look like that much is because they budget for the entire year, but only roll it out in September, then the next year all those hours are applied the entire year. The chart shown earlier isn't all the areas they are improving service it is all the things that merit a service improvement.
2. Brampton Transit is operating substantially overcapacity on the core routes, it contravenes Section 22(1) of the Public Vehicles Act most of the time during peak directional service to York U and Humber. If it makes you feel better, MiWay, the TTC, and YRT all also have routes that violate said Act. Those routes get so full that the back raised part of the XDE60s is packed, all the way to the line at the front of the bus, and often over it, in contravention of 22(2) of said act. Ridership growth at this point is now largely constrained by physical capacity.

Budget is out, while it proposed a number of new and replacement buses, including some new articulated buses for regular service, it proposes zero new revenue hours. The system remains substantially short on service hours.

Budget is out, while it proposed a number of new and replacement buses, including some new articulated buses for regular service, it proposes zero new revenue hours. The system remains substantially short on service hours.

It also calls for up to 15% in service adjustments to meet demand and reliability, but I fear this will mean widening headways, or removing service on some routes to respond to overcrowding on other routes. That's not good. Neither is the plan for no additional staff in 2020.

Today GTAA delegated to Brampton City Council requesting more transit, specifically extending the 505 from Malton GO to Pearson, and to extend operating hours. They repeatedly noted that they have workers start as early as 3 am, and that more of their workers are from Brampton than Mississauga.

^ I wish there was a priority signal at the Malton GO Station entrance at Derry. It can feel like a long wait when your sitting on the bus waiting for the light to change. Also, it's a terrible walk from the station building to the buses that stop on Derry. There is no sidewalk. Lots of opportunities for improvement at Malton.

Back