News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 415     0 

Brampton Transit/Zum

disagree.

Why though? Brampton seems so cut off from every place else, even in spite of the recent Zum route implements. Why not promote more inter-regional connections, not only a Vaughan Mills link, but ones to Georgetown, Bolton, Valleywoods, Caledon Village, Embleton, Milton as well?

Not necessarily all the way to Vaughan Mills, but a weekday limited stop route across Bovaird - let's call it the 105 - going as far east as the community centre at Islington and Rutherford Road would be useful, connecting to the employment lands at Highway 50 and the YRT 85 bus.

Why though? Brampton seems so cut off from every place else, even in spite of the recent Zum route implements.
Is Brampton cut off from everywhere else? really? Are those smaller centres not the ones that are "cut off".

Georgetown, Bolton, Valleywoods, Caledon Village, Embleton, Milton as well?

The first 4 of those are municipalities which have shunned the notion of local public transit (the 3 bolded ones are just different 'hoods in Caledon) in addition to the likely low ridership available to BT by servicing those neighbourhoods/communities....why would they not be serviced by a local transit system funded from their own property taxes as opposed to those in Brampton.

I suppose if Georgetown and Caledon came to Brampton and said "we want local transit, but it makes no sense to set up our own....so can you run routes to our neighbourhoods and we will pay for it".....it might make some sense.

Milton is so far from Brampton that linking them (if they need linking) is the job of an inter-city service like, say, GO.

Not necessarily all the way to Vaughan Mills, but a weekday limited stop route across Bovaird - let's call it the 105 - going as far east as the community centre at Islington and Rutherford Road would be useful, connecting to the employment lands at Highway 50 and the YRT 85 bus.

Still sees a local Brampton transit bus (supported by local Brampton taxes) going deep into York Region without any real chance of picking up riders/fares.....BT already has routes that get to 50/Castlemore.....maybe the two systems can build some sort of transfer system/location there but taking a bt bus along this stretch seems to be pointless exercise,

upload_2018-3-6_16-18-40.png

YT and BT have a pretty good history of co-operation.....if there was demand for any of this, it would have been addressed I think.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-6_16-18-40.png
    upload_2018-3-6_16-18-40.png
    827.4 KB · Views: 841
Is Brampton cut off from everywhere else? really? Are those smaller centres not the ones that are "cut off".

The first 4 of those are municipalities which have shunned the notion of local public transit (the 3 bolded ones are just different 'hoods in Caledon) in addition to the likely low ridership available to BT by servicing those neighbourhoods/communities....why would they not be serviced by a local transit system funded from their own property taxes as opposed to those in Brampton.

I suppose if Georgetown and Caledon came to Brampton and said "we want local transit, but it makes no sense to set up our own....so can you run routes to our neighbourhoods and we will pay for it".....it might make some sense.

Milton is so far from Brampton that linking them (if they need linking) is the job of an inter-city service like, say, GO.

Still sees a local Brampton transit bus (supported by local Brampton taxes) going deep into York Region without any real chance of picking up riders/fares.....BT already has routes that get to 50/Castlemore.....maybe the two systems can build some sort of transfer system/location there but taking a bt bus along this stretch seems to be pointless exercise,

View attachment 136506

YT and BT have a pretty good history of co-operation.....if there was demand for any of this, it would have been addressed I think.

It would be very easy to extend the Van Kirk bus into Caledon (Valleywoods) though as that route reaches the city limits already.

Likewise, Embleton is within Brampton city limits and yet does not have a bus route, closest transit being at Mississauga Road.

As for Milton, I should have been more specific and said that there should be BT transit to Toronto Premium Outlets at Trafalgar and Steeles.

There should be enough demand to get to all these places to allow for even one trip per hour service.

It would be very easy to extend the Van Kirk bus into Caledon (Valleywoods) though as that route reaches the city limits already.

In the past, Caledon did not allow anything other than a couple of buses a day to Mayfield SS to cross into their town.....if that has changed I am not aware of it.....but, sure, if Caledon was willing to contribute to the operating cost and allow BT to serve Valleywood, they could.

Likewise, Embleton is within Brampton city limits and yet does not have a bus route, closest transit being at Mississauga Road.

And when it is warranted, service will be extended to them....BT has a very good record on this.

As for Milton, I should have been more specific and said that there should be BT transit to Toronto Premium Outlets at Trafalgar and Steeles.

Those are actually in Georgetown.....and I am not a fan of Brampton taxpayers subsidizing transit to malls in other communities. We have retailers right in town who want to sell stuff....using our tax dollars to deliver shoppers to a mall in another community is counterproductive to attracting more retailers, jobs, taxation to town.

I would feel the same about Square 1 but it is more than a mall, it is that plus a regional transit hub plus a place of empolyment.....and riders can be picked up between Brampton and there......in the case of TPC and Vaughan Mills it is just an express route to take spending out of town with no other benefit.

Last edited:
I think Milton and Brampton will be connected by transit when the employment lands along Steeles become more filled up.

I think Milton and Brampton will be connected by transit when the employment lands along Steeles become more filled up.
Before that actually.

Steeles (that far west) won’t fill in before you will be able to take a LRT from Brampton to a GO train in Mississauga that goes to Milton.

Those are actually in Georgetown.....and I am not a fan of Brampton taxpayers subsiding transit to malls in other communities. We have retailers right in town who want to sell stuff....using our tax dollars to deliver shoppers to a mall in another community is counterproductive to attracting more retailers, jobs, taxation to town.

I would feel the same about Square 1 but it is more than a mall, it is that plus a regional transit hub plus a place of empolyment.....and riders can be picked up between Brampton and there......in the case of TPC and Vaughan Mills it is just an express route to take spending out of town with no other benefit.

Halton Hills to be accurate. But the bus wouldn’t necessarily deliver shoppers, more like employees who work there.

Proposed Brampton Transit service change for September 2018:
http://www.brampton.ca/EN/residents...nts/BramptonTransit_PICBoards_Feb2018_Web.pdf

Züm service on Airport Road will run between Bovaird/Airport to Malton GO (2018) and Viscount Station (2020).

Finally! They acknowledge that Embleton exists and needs transit. I also like the extensions to Mayfield in the northwest. 30 minute frequency on the 52 though? Maybe it would be better to keep the route in tact to sustain the greater frequencies.

I don't like the proposed changes to 9 Vodden. It means the loss of service completely along Central Park on the weekends.

The old Route 1B Queen - now the central part of Route 52 - will be downgraded to becoming a very local route, with service to match.

Service in the Ray Lawson area becomes an even bigger mess, with three routes - 53, 54, and 56 - doing what two routes should do. I would have liked to see a proper direct two-way full service route between Gateway Terminal and James Potter/Chinguacousy via County Court and Ray Lawson, with a secondary route providing the hyper-local connections on King Knoll, Oaklea, Cherrytree, and Havelock - for some reason, those meandering routes are what the neighbourhood wants.

I really wish the 505 went all the way to the airport to start. I get the Malton GO connection, but I think the connections to other Mississauga routes are better with the route going south to Viscount.

As for the new pedestrian connection to Steeles Avenue from Duggan Drive - I hope that's going to be a signalized crossing at Steeles, because that's a seven-lane road to cross to get the eastbound bus.

Back