News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 580     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Brampton Transit/Zum

In a "good news, bad news" kinda thing.....the 505 extension south on Airport will not be going East on Steeles to terminate at Bramalea GO.....instead it will continue on southward to Derry and into the Malton GO station.....that is the good news....the bad news is that at Malton it will turn around and head back north instead of heading further on Airport to Viscount Station.

Maybe one day.

https://www.inbrampton.com/brampton-moving-forward-on-major-zum-route-extension

It is intended as a customer service aid not a "to scale, exact depiction of the area" type map.....and it shows the 3 bus routes going through and connecting with the Pioneer Village station and bypassing the York U station......it is very much incorrect because the exact opposite, and what they were attempting to communicate, is true.

Some people will consider it a bit of a long walk from the Zum stop to York U Station (having to walk past a parking lot and the Archives building). The map accurately depicts that.

We asked the city. Malton is interim, it's expected to be extended to Pearson by 2020. They need more resources (aka buses). I remember seeing a PIC board once where the loop-de-loop roads lengthens the trip enough they need more buses.

http://bramptonist.com/airport-road-sum-malton-go/
yep...I just saw that in your story......it is just so tantalizingly close to getting to the airport and i really believe that the 505 into the airport is a far better airport connection for Brampton than the 115.....it would provide far more people a 1 (or less) transfer connection to the airport....whereas the 115 requires too many people to use that many just to get to the Bramalea City Centre to then start their journey to the airport.

The southbound portion of the 505 allows anyone near the E-W routes of North Park, Williams, Queen, Steeles to all connect easily to the airport.

The southbound portion of the 505 allows anyone near the E-W routes of North Park, Williams, Queen, Steeles to all connect easily to the airport.
Curiously enough, there isn't actually an E-W route on North Park, which seems like a very obvious gap in the network. I wonder if they're waiting for tge Cottrelle bridge between Goreway and Humberwest to be built (expected to start in 2019).

Curiously enough, there isn't actually an E-W route on North Park, which seems like a very obvious gap in the network. I wonder if they're waiting for tge Cottrelle bridge between Goreway and Humberwest to be built (expected to start in 2019).
yeah, I was not sure about NP when I typed it.....and yes, I am sure a route there would have to wait until the bridge was built....otherwise it is an awkward routing.

So a few things are clear that if transit systems wants to suceed, they need to
  1. Improve service on the main road grid network (30 min or better on ALL ROUTES).
  2. Have dedicated rapid transit cooridors with 10 min or better and limited stops.
  3. Build transit infrastructure including dedicated bus lanes or right-of-ways and proper pedestrian connections.
  4. Have better connections to universities, colleges, GO stations, and destinations in other municipalities.
I’d say number 4 is not achievable to the fullest extent until the City of Toronto and the TTC change the by-laws for other transit systems to pickup and drop off in Toronto (GO Transit can already do this, but others have strict limitations).

^I think it is much simpler than that and I think it and can be summed up in one sentence...."have frequent service that goes places people want to go".

The amount of infrastructure (your 3rd point) that BT has built is, really, quite minimal.......the Zum system has attracted passengers not with massive infrastructure to make the wait for the next bus more pleasant....it works because the wait is shorter.......as for your #4.....the fact that BT is limited in picking up within Toronto does not hurt them they can pick up at the termini in Toronto (york U and Humber) and that is fine.

As I have noted several times before, though, BT increasing frequencies is not limited to the more rapid buses in the Zum system.....many routes (like my local route) are not Zum but demand has been met (and nourished) with 7 minute frequencies during peak times.

Today, even more than in the past, we are a society of people that hate to wait........so reducing those waits is going to make the system more attractive.

So a few things are clear that if transit systems wants to suceed, they need to
  1. Improve service on the main road grid network (30 min or better on ALL ROUTES).
  2. Have dedicated rapid transit cooridors with 10 min or better and limited stops.
  3. Build transit infrastructure including dedicated bus lanes or right-of-ways and proper pedestrian connections.
  4. Have better connections to universities, colleges, GO stations, and destinations in other municipalities.
I’d say number 4 is not achievable to the fullest extent until the City of Toronto and the TTC change the by-laws for other transit systems to pickup and drop off in Toronto (GO Transit can already do this, but others have strict limitations).
As part of point #4, a branch of 505 Züm Bovaird could be added that goes to Vaughan Mills (and during the summer, Wonderland as well).

As part of point #4, a branch of 505 Züm Bovaird could be added that goes to Vaughan Mills (and during the summer, Wonderland as well).
Later this year, though, 505 will head in a different direction.....it will head south on Airport Road to Malton GO (in future years extended to the Airport itself).

Not sure I see the point of Brampton Transit providing direct service to Vaughan Mills and/or Canada’s Wonderland.

Today, even more than in the past, we are a society of people that hate to wait........so reducing those waits is going to make the system more attractive.

Yes, increased frequencies are important, but free wifi can also make a wait feel shorter. That's why I think free wifi can actually attract riders, as opposed to simply being a "frill".

Back