3K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 612     1 

Brampton Transit/Zum

screenshot01.jpg

Zoom zoom!

From the Züm Facebook page: the difference between the two is the size of the stop. A major stop has interior space for a three-person bench and exterior four-person bench and a minor stop has interior space for a two-person bench.

Maybe this is already known, but Züm will start September 20, 2010.

I went home to Brampton last weekend, and I did not see much evidence to show Zum will be operating by September 20. The BCC terminal is shaping up nicely, though.

The Queen Street construction is complete, at least the City of Brampton's section (west of the 410) and half of Peel's section (Torbram to 410). The shelters seem to be installed quickly, all the Xcelsior buses have been delivered, it will happen, though the Highway 7/McVean intersection may not be ready. They still have almost six weeks, I see it happening, but not all the details in place.

In the meantime, there will be a temporary express bus, route 177, between York U and Bramalea City Centre, and Route 1 will be extended for September 7, when YRT takes control of a shortened Route 77 that day. Though as I hear, the other service improvements will take place once Zum is ready.

I sent this idea to YRT/Brampton

After the introduction of Zum, a combined 7.5 minute frequency is a bit too much for the western leg of Highway 7.

York Region and Brampton should work together to see how they can structure both routes to optimize service efficiency. At the moment, it looks like they're just dumping resources down the drain by sending buses down every 7.5 minutes on a corridor that currently doesn't justify that level of service.

ZUM should provide service from Brampton to Downsview Station.
Benefits:
-There is no loss from the current service levels operated by VIVA Orange.
-The route would provide a direct connection between Brampton and the subway. After September 2010 service changes, there is no longer any direct connections between Brampton and the TTC subway network. The subway is a major trip generator for Brampton buses heading to Toronto.

VIVA Orange should provide service from Martin Grove -> Promenade Terminal or Richmond Hill Centre
Benefits:
-Connects western Vaughan to the rest of the VIVA network. Western Vaughan is currently the only section of the system that seems to be disconnected from the rest of the VIVA network, as one can't make a direct trip there without having to detour to York University. At the moment, YRT 77 is the route of choice to get to Vaughan.
-Closes the awkward gap between Jane and Keele that is devoid of rapid transit service. Passengers cannot make a direct crosstown trip across Highway 7.

Attached is an illustration of what I am suggesting

v
viva-2.jpg

I sent this idea to YRT/Brampton

Why not just connect the Zum route to Downsview? That would seem logical to me. In the long term the route would stop at VCC station or Steeles West station on the expanded Spadina line.

Anyone else wondering why these services are getting such distinct branding/marketing? I mean can you imagine if the TTC marketed the Subway as a completely different service "The Red Rocket" with separate marketing campaigns etc?

I kind of agree with the comment on the shelters looking like gas station. Here's a new (unfinished) shelter at Rutherford, that looks entirely in place with the GM dealership behind it.

4902644701_7cfaff60e5_z.jpg

Why not just connect the Zum route to Downsview? That would seem logical to me. In the long term the route would stop at VCC station or Steeles West station on the expanded Spadina line.

Anyone else wondering why these services are getting such distinct branding/marketing? I mean can you imagine if the TTC marketed the Subway as a completely different service "The Red Rocket" with separate marketing campaigns etc?

Seems logical to me as well. Direct access to the subway I would think would be nearly essential for the Zum service to be successful.

Seems logical to me as well. Direct access to the subway I would think would be nearly essential for the Zum service to be successful.

Since it is going to York and the York Busway alllows good, quick access to Downsview, it really would make more sense to take this route to the subway....anyone know why they are terminating at York U?

Since it is going to York and the York Busway alllows good, quick access to Downsview, it really would make more sense to take this route to the subway....anyone know why they are terminating at York U?

Will TTC be allowing access by other agencies to the Bussway? IIRC VIVA orange currently DOES NOT use the busway between York and Downsview. Either way it Zum really should go to Downsview, there are literally thousands of riders that go from Brampton all the way across to Finch station. This would be a marked improvement in their travel times.

The idea is to create the brand impression of a premium product that would be attractive to people who have their own cars and wouldn't ordinarily consider riding the bus. From the looks of it, Viva's actually been quite successful.

I got this from a VIVA driver, he said the TTC will not allow VIVA to use the Busway for some reason. I guess Brampton Transit figures there is not enough demand to extend Zum to Downsview using the current VIVA routing. Kind of silly, to be honest.

I posted this info about a while ago in the York U BRT thread, but it might be useful here.

In Report No. 1 of the Rapid Transit Public/Private Partnership Steering Committee,
It is recommended that:
1. Council provide budget pre-authorization of up to $100,000 out of the proposed 2007 budget of $440,000 for the planning, design and construction of the associated works necessary for the Viva Orange Route to utilize the new TTC Busway, relocate existing plant, and provide station locations along the new TTC Busway and at the Downsview Station facilities.

2. Council authorize staff to continue to participate in the planning and design of the TTC Busway as it pertains to the implementation of station stops and facilities within the Downsview Station and the relocation of current station locations on Sheppard Avenue and at the Keele-Finch intersection, and if appropriate to negotiate the necessary design-construction and operating agreements with TTC officials.

3. Council request staff to bring forward a report in Spring 2007 that outlines the proposed modifications to the Viva Orange Route infrastructure within the City of Toronto, as well as principles pertaining to draft cost and operating agreements.

Because...
TTC staff estimate that the TTC Busway between Downsview Subway Station and York University will dramatically improve the reliability and speed on this route, reducing a one-way trip to 13 minutes. The TTC has characterized the busway as an important element to maintain and build ridership in the future subway corridor in the immediate term of 2-3 years.
With dedicated bus lanes from the Downsview Station to the York University portion of the Viva Orange Route, significant route travel time savings are expected. These savings could be as much as $250,000 in annualized operational time savings.
These capital costs, along with an allowance for design are budgeted at $440,000, and are part of the rapid transit budget request for 2007. The anticipated operating saving associated with use of the new terminal and busway would result in these costs being recovered within 2 years.

From the TTC's April 2009 meeting:

Other Transit Services
The York University Busway will also be used in its entirety by York Region Transit’s VIVA Orange route, which links Downsview Station with York University and York Region. The Busway is also available for use by GO Transit or Brampton Transit, and by York University’s campus transportation service.

And when I emailed YRT about Viva Orange and the Busway in April 2010, they said

The proposed Viva Orange routing along the York University busway has been delayed as YRT is waiting for the final agreements for review and signing. As you may be aware the busway was constructed on Imperial Oil property. The delay is due to obtaining permission from Imperial Oil to amend the current agreement with the City of Toronto and TTC so Viva vehicles are permitted to travel on their property. Once the agreements are finalized, our Viva services will begin service along the new busway.

Yet Viva Orange still shows no signs of being rerouted, though they did build a new Viva platform at Downsview station, which is currently unused.

Last edited:
What Brampton Transit is doing is very impressive. They're really going a long way to improve service, both on the local bus routes and through introducing a premium BRT service like the successful VIVA. Brampton is going to have a very respectable transit service in a few years.

I kind of agree with the comment on the shelters looking like gas station. Here's a new (unfinished) shelter at Rutherford, that looks entirely in place with the GM dealership behind it.

4902644701_7cfaff60e5_z.jpg

It took me a good 5 seconds to realize what I was looking for lol

What Brampton Transit is doing is very impressive. They're really going a long way to improve service, both on the local bus routes and through introducing a premium BRT service like the successful VIVA. Brampton is going to have a very respectable transit service in a few years.

I agree. I remember when I first moved to the province 13 years ago, they had like 10 routes and no Sunday service so they have certainly come a long way. Hopefully Brampton (and what Mississauga is planning to do) can keep it up.

Back