154     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

from gifts-and-tablewares.com....

Teatro Verde Opening New Flagship Store

TORONTO, ON -- Shawn Gibson and Michael Pellegrino, the founders of Teatro Verde, a popular Toronto home and garden lifestyle shop, will open their new flagship store in Yorkville on May 15th, 2009.

Teatro Verde, which opened in 1997, is moving from its current location in Yorkville's Hazelton Lanes to a new building with an iconic and historic structure. The regal Georgian mansion was originally a private home. In the 1930s, it became the first Mount Sinai Hospital. When the hospital moved to University Avenue, it transitioned into a nursing home. In the 1960s, it was one of the focal points of the city's hippie movement, becoming a ragged but beautiful flophouse before falling into disrepair and closing.

Gibson and Pellegrino, who are well-known in Toronto as designers, florists and television personalities, have kept the building's historic exterior and transformed its interior into 9,000 square feet of retail space on two levels. It will house three exclusive Teatro Verde collections, the names of which will be revealed at the opening; six designer rooms; and an expanded floral section. Other departments include Textiles, Garden, Home Keeping, Stationery, and Les Enfants. It will also be home to the complete line of Fresh bath and beauty products and to the third Assouline boutique in the world after Paris and New York.

I thought it wasn't supposed to open for another year.

Anyone know who's taking over the old store?

Looks like Burberry in Yorkville wants to open ASAP. The temporary Cole Haan store has closed due to "unforseen circumstances" (or something to that extent), meaning that Cole Haan won't open again until the renovated store is ready to open in May.

Last edited:
Interesting.. There used to be a Giorgio Sport on Old York Lane, but I'm not sure if they were at all affiliated with Armani, or if this Giorgio is one of his many labels.

^I took a photo of Giorgio yesterday afternoon. Really this location might be better suited for a wine bar or cheaper cafe.

dsc00284x.jpg

Ha! that's rather peculiar ... when I asked someone in a store (granted this was a long time ago) regarding the closing of the store they mentioned they weren't reopening anywhere.

I spoke to my Italian buddy and he has no clue what this Giorgio is. They use the same font/logotype as Giorgio Armani so he's surprised about that. He claims it's not Armani since Giorgio isn't a label of theirs.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

DSC09885.jpg

This is the Giorgio Armani boutique in Kolonaki, Athens. Same font, guys.

Last edited:
Maybe they are using the rather generic Giorgio name in order to sell several Armani labels under one roof, foregoing the expense of opening individual stores under different Armani banners.

Labels4Less isn't history, it just moved to cheaper digs around the corner--Bay and Cumberland area.

dsc00310n.jpg

Is this where Dior could be going?

As for the "Giorgio" question, isn't that a rather small space (around 1,500 sf)? I believe the front of the Hazelton Hotel was always that way.

Last edited:
Is this where Dior could be going?

As for the "Giorgio" question, isn't that a rather small space (around 1,500 sf)? I believe the front of the Hazelton Hotel was always that way.

Nop, the Labels 4 Less is going to be the new Hugo Boss flagship.

The Telus at Bloor and Avenue Rd. has closed.

Back