News   Jul 11, 2024
 105     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 503     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 626     1 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Does anyone know if Teatro Verde has anyone taking over its Hazelton Lanes spot yet?

eleven has opened on Cumberland in the old rk store. I think it originally was supposed to be Lundstrom, but it's now carrying other brands as well.

ETA: Part of Sassafraz is currently under renovation. They're turning half the place (what was once the bar) into a more casual "cafe" style place.

Last edited:
Sally Ann comes to Yuckville?

Not quite!

But it certainly looks like the future:

dsc00195e.jpg

Bloor Street Retail Update

1. Telus - closed
2. Ice Outlet - closed
3. Burberry to open Fall 2009
4. Bang & Olufsen to close and Calvin Klein to open in same space Aug 2009.
5. Watchcraft Jewelers is closing
6. Metro Grocery store to go at 1 Bloor St E project (3rd floor I believe); subject to many things coming together I guess.
7. Hugo Boss opening Fall 2009
8. Cole Haan now open (great interior work)
9. Puma is leaving.

1. Telus - closed
2. Ice Outlet - closed
3. Burberry to open Fall 2009
4. Bang & Olufsen to close and Calvin Klein to open in same space Aug 2009.
5. Watchcraft Jewelers is closing
6. Metro Grocery store to go at 1 Bloor St E project (3rd floor I believe); subject to many things coming together I guess.
7. Hugo Boss opening Fall 2009
8. Cole Haan now open (great interior work)
9. Puma is leaving.

Dear God... I knew of a couple closing, but this is completely gutting Bloor!

More like culling the herd.

Considering everything I would have thought we'd see more closings

To be honest, it's mostly the midmarket stuff that's closing.. The luxury brands seem to be doing well, not to mention all the opening we're seeing.

Right, but there are only so many luxury well known brands in the world - even if every single one of them came to Toronto and all the midmarkets disappears you'd still have a lot of closings.

Right, but there are only so many luxury well known brands in the world - even if every single one of them came to Toronto and all the midmarkets disappears you'd still have a lot of closings.

Actually that shouldn't affect Toronto's scene at all. Compared to even low tier American cities, we have very little to offer in terms of luxury shopping, aside from the monster Holts and Harry Rosen. (I'm talking about Bloor-Yorkville here, not the rest of the city which is doing just fine).

Dallas, which doesn't strike me as any sort of fashionable city, has far more labels than Toronto could ever get.

Actually that shouldn't affect Toronto's scene at all. Compared to even low tier American cities, we have very little to offer in terms of luxury shopping, aside from the monster Holts and Harry Rosen. (I'm talking about Bloor-Yorkville here, not the rest of the city which is doing just fine).

Dallas, which doesn't strike me as any sort of fashionable city, has far more labels than Toronto could ever get.

What are you arguing ? :) You said the midmarket sector is more vulnerable followed by stating Toronto is dominated by the mimarket sector in Yorkville verse big labels.

That's true, I remember my visit to Houston -the prices in the shopping mall were quite a bit higher then what you find in Yorkville itself!

What are you arguing ? :) You said the midmarket sector is more vulnerable followed by stating Toronto is dominated by the mimarket sector in Yorkville verse big labels.

That's true, I remember my visit to Houston -the prices in the shopping mall were quite a bit higher then what you find in Yorkville itself!

I'm not quite sure.. LOL! Long day, long day.... Anyway, Bloor itself is still strongly dominated by midmarket retailers. Now, we're finally seeing that final shift into stores that can afford the exorbitant rents. I always mentioned Yorkville, and not Toronto itself, which from what I can see is doing decently.

What's the situation in other cities, you don't really see too many articles regarding it but hows the luxury scene in say New York, Chicago, Dallas, Miami?

Back