News   Jun 17, 2024
 96     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 290     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.7K     1 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

I don't think Noir is part of a chain. It is too bad Bloor is losing it's independent boutiques, You don't get the same service with the big corporate chain stores.

I don't think Noir is part of a chain. It is too bad Bloor is losing it's independent boutiques, You don't get the same service with the big corporate chain stores.

Bloor (between Avenue and Yonge, anyway) lost its independent boutiques a long, long time ago.

jordy7 said:
It is too bad, that was a nice store, they apparently had prblem paying their rents, and there was a notice on their store door for customers to get their orders at a different location. The sad thing is that Bloor is becoming occupied with big retail chains only, no room for exclusive specialed stores along that strip, even though I believe Noir is also a chain. Has Noir closed permanently or are they relocating?

What do you consider the big corporate chains? Aren't the high-designer brands taking up more space, pushing the big, mid-level chains out?

It's just that you can expect the same from all big retail chains, like Prada,Armani, etc.. These specialized stores carry different variety of goods, rather than just one label, and there is better customer service. I mean hemingways leathers was booted off bloor, Hazel went bankrupt, Zola shoes, is now history. It's just apparent that specialized stores are being pushed out by chains who can afford to lose profit for periods of time, and pay the high rents. It's just sad that Toronto does not have the wealth base in Population, which is what Hazel alluded to, even though they believe there is potential.

I'm Down!

A lot of you are saying that all the "independant boutiques" are leaving and being taken up by high fashion desginers. Uh, isn't that a good thing? How does that mean Toronto has a weak wealth base? Doesn't that mean the wealth base is increasing, seeing that despite an economic crisis Burberry is building a flagship on bloor and dior is coming too. I welcome these designer labels. There are plenty of places where these independant boutiques can go to. There are actually places in Toronto meant for these kind of boutqiues, and they can pay less rent than Bloor. How about Bayview Village? Yonge St. between Eglinton and Lawrence? Avenue Rd? Eglinton West? Even in Yorkville i.e. Cumberland and Yorkville Ave? These big designer brands mean more business for bloor, more interest in fashion among Torontonians and a better reputation for the street. It's disappointing to see Toronto on par with other Canadian cities (Vancouver mainly!) in terms of high fashion. I don't see how Bloor will get worse by the departure of these small boutiques.

There are plenty of places where these independant boutiques can go to. There are actually places in Toronto meant for these kind of boutqiues, and they can pay less rent than Bloor. How about Bayview Village? Yonge St. between Eglinton and Lawrence? Avenue Rd? Eglinton West? Even in Yorkville i.e. Cumberland and Yorkville Ave?

True enough for the snottier variety of Yorkville boutiques. But when it comes to today's version of the earthier, rootsier 60s/70s Yorkville boutique, don't forget the likes of West Queen West and Parkdale and whatever...

True enough for the snottier variety of Yorkville boutiques. But when it comes to today's version of the earthier, rootsier 60s/70s Yorkville boutique, don't forget the likes of West Queen West and Parkdale and whatever...

As I said earlier, those stores left a long, long time ago. I'm just a little under 30 and don't remember the "earthy" type stores in the Yorkville area.

A lot of you are saying that all the "independant boutiques" are leaving and being taken up by high fashion desginers. Uh, isn't that a good thing? How does that mean Toronto has a weak wealth base? Doesn't that mean the wealth base is increasing, seeing that despite an economic crisis Burberry is building a flagship on bloor and dior is coming too. I welcome these designer labels. There are plenty of places where these independant boutiques can go to. There are actually places in Toronto meant for these kind of boutqiues, and they can pay less rent than Bloor. How about Bayview Village? Yonge St. between Eglinton and Lawrence? Avenue Rd? Eglinton West? Even in Yorkville i.e. Cumberland and Yorkville Ave? These big designer brands mean more business for bloor, more interest in fashion among Torontonians and a better reputation for the street. It's disappointing to see Toronto on par with other Canadian cities (Vancouver mainly!) in terms of high fashion. I don't see how Bloor will get worse by the departure of these small boutiques.

Those stores were planed long before the economic crisis. Hopefully new stores will bring in business the restaurants in the area sure do need it.

As I said earlier, those stores left a long, long time ago. I'm just a little under 30 and don't remember the "earthy" type stores in the Yorkville area.

Though a lot of those pioneering Marilyn Brooks-type merchants who were plugging at it until recently (or still are) are definitely the sort who, were their youthful selves transposed into today, might set up shop westerly along Queen or even up Roncy.

I suppose the rule of thumb is: WWJBD (What Would Jeanne Beker Do)

Yeah, that too. She had to get to where she is today, somehow.

(Hey, it was the freewheeling 60s/70s/80s.)

from gifts-and-tablewares.com....

Teatro Verde Opening New Flagship Store

TORONTO, ON -- Shawn Gibson and Michael Pellegrino, the founders of Teatro Verde, a popular Toronto home and garden lifestyle shop, will open their new flagship store in Yorkville on May 15th, 2009.

Teatro Verde, which opened in 1997, is moving from its current location in Yorkville's Hazelton Lanes to a new building with an iconic and historic structure. The regal Georgian mansion was originally a private home. In the 1930s, it became the first Mount Sinai Hospital. When the hospital moved to University Avenue, it transitioned into a nursing home. In the 1960s, it was one of the focal points of the city's hippie movement, becoming a ragged but beautiful flophouse before falling into disrepair and closing.

Gibson and Pellegrino, who are well-known in Toronto as designers, florists and television personalities, have kept the building's historic exterior and transformed its interior into 9,000 square feet of retail space on two levels. It will house three exclusive Teatro Verde collections, the names of which will be revealed at the opening; six designer rooms; and an expanded floral section. Other departments include Textiles, Garden, Home Keeping, Stationery, and Les Enfants. It will also be home to the complete line of Fresh bath and beauty products and to the third Assouline boutique in the world after Paris and New York.

Back