News   May 24, 2024
 8.2K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 467     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

I hope they don't destroy the mosaics. Nothing says '80s excess like the Versace mosaics ... they're priceless retail 'heritage' and workmanship of the highest quality.

I agree, that store reeked of 80s excess. The mosaics, btw, were removed when Indiva took over, they replaced the Versace medusa with their own lotus flower.

I hope they don't destroy the mosaics. Nothing says '80s excess like the Versace mosaics ... they're priceless retail 'heritage' and workmanship of the highest quality.

Any chance someone could get a picture before they are demolished?

Ah yes... but in the Eighties was it not the original Yuppie hangout Bemelmans?

Yeah, this so-called 80s retail heritage actually happens to be 90s retail heritage. And it destroyed genuine 30s-adapted-for-the-70s/80s retail heritage in the process...

ahh, I hope the Apple proposal doesn't go through, I'd prefer the Christofle pavilion there instead of over-rated crap any time, plus Apple already has stores in Toronto, I'd prefer something more exclusive to open there.

New Irish pub opening on Cumberland, just east of the Pilot. That's the third large bar/restaurant in that half block. Wouldn't mind seeing them close off Cumberland from the Green P to Yonge and turning it into a pedestrian mall.

Last edited:
New Irish pub opening on Cumberland, just east of the Pilot. That's the third large bar/restaurant in that half block. Wouldn't mind seeing them close off Cumberland from the Green P to Yonge and turning it into a pedestrian mall.

What are they taking over?

So by Fall,

we will have (another) Hugo Boss store on 83 Bloor - by fall ?
a new Diesel Flagship store at Yorkville/Bellair by Summer
a new Burberry 2F Flagship store at 144/6 Bloor by Fall
a potential Apple store at 150 Bloor
a newly renovated Cole-Hahn store
a new Cartier 2F flagship

So Bloor will now have even more well known high ashion designer brands with the following supplementing,

Gucci (recently renovated)
Lacoste Flagship (recently renovated)
Chanel (recently renovated)
Hermes (recently renovated)
Prada (recently finished renovations)
Louis Vuitton
Coach
Puma
MaxMara
Tiffany & Co.
United Colors of Benetton
cku
Ports 1961
Mont Blanc

Escada (renovated a couple years ago or so)
Rolex (opened not that long ago)
BCBG Maxarizia (newly opened)
Browns (newly opened)
Townshoes Flagship (new)
Zara

others:
Sephora
Guess
Marciano
Guerlain Paris
M.A.C.
Holt Renfrew
Birks
Godiva Chocolatier
Swarovski
banana republic
lululemon athletica
Harry Rosen

winners*
Ilori -store selling designer sunglasses/shades

If Holts and Harry suffer, then it must be even worst for the smaller boutiques. I expect more Yorkville stores to close in the coming months. An article from today's star mentions the closing of high-end stores Hazel, Zola, Finishing Touches, San Remo & Boutique Le Trou.

From today's Star:
http://www.thestar.com/living/article/599948

Economy claims high-end stores
Who is killing the top shops in Toronto?

First Hazel, the stratospherically priced women's boutique in Yorkville, had to eat its inventory and now Finishing Touches and Zola Shoes are on the casualty list.

Zola owner Debra Anissimoff closed her shop at the end of February, thereby depriving addicts of such high-end brands as Gianni Barbato and Emma Hope their boot and shoe fix.

Finishing Touches, an oasis of style north of Lawrence Ave. for a phenomenal 34 years, is finished. On Monday afternoon, The Danbury Group, liquidators for Hazel, sent an email to Finishing Touches' "loyal customers as a special thank you" inviting them to an exclusive liquidation pre-sale two days in advance of the public liquidation starting tomorrow.

The prices are 40 to 70 per cent off the entire million-dollar inventory.

These loyal customers enjoyed free martinis and nibblies when Finishing Touches previewed its new lines each season but stopped shopping cold turkey in October when the economy started tanking.

The canary in the diamond mine might have been the stealthy shuttering of luxe boutique San Remo on St. Thomas St. way before the recession hit last year, despite the shop having a seemingly inexhaustible captive celebrity clientele like Britney Spears, Cher and Mariah Carey staying across the street at The Windsor Arms.

Is this the end of high-end shops?

A source from Finishing Touches, who didn't want to be named lest she sound like a whiner, attributes their demise to fear of shopping.

"People are frightened and I understand. Our loyal clientele in that income bracket is frightened. They say we're an institution and that they'll shop next year but that's too late. People have stopped shopping because everybody has the fear of God put in them."

Finishing Touches needs a lot of stock to fill 3,000 square feet and it is on Yonge St., not the priciest real estate in town but not chump change. The store has utilities, rent, suppliers and staff to pay.

"We are a victim of the times," she says. "There is all the media attention on how to survive but nobody talks about supporting local businesses. Independently owned businesses are screwed.

"The smaller mom and pop businesses are in better shape because they don't have the same overhead and the Gap stores can just close a few locations."

Add to that the shame in shopping – if a friend is laid off you must bask in his ambient bummer.

Prada and Hermès are offering customers plain brown shopping bags instead of ones with their logos. Imagine declining that iconic orange Hermès bag.

Some of the people still shopping are being subversive about it. A retailer in Hazelton Lanes reports that he gets a lot of customers paying half in cash and half on the credit card to throw off their spouses.

And that includes men.

Is this the end of creative buying? Will it extinguish that creative spark of shops that carry Canadian designers or non cookie-cutter clothes?

Boutique Le Trou, a champion of up-and-coming Canadian designers, including Project Runway contestants, closed last year.

Owner Marlene Schiff plans to have semi-regular pop-up sales to offload her stock, but was last seen helping out at the Hazel liquidation sale.

"I feel sorry for the industry," the Finishing Touches source says. "Positive energy has to be infused into it."

"The ones who tough it through, the selection will be tighter – they can't take a chance on different and exciting things," concurs Anissimoff. "Even if the customer does well with sales, the industry is downsized and a mess. It's not a business model for people to invest in. Sometimes the public forgets these small businesses like mine are here to make a living. It can no longer make sense for either of us.

"The fashion retail industry is a big wheel in a bad business model and has been for a long time. That was hidden in good times but there is a domino effect: If you don't carry the same products as everyone else, you are not as affected when big competitors start the markdowns. As soon as the competition slashes prices 50, 60, 70 per cent, your customer is asking, `Why aren't you offering it, too?'

"If we are forced to turn into discounters, it doesn't work."

The fashion retail industry has taken one of the biggest hits, Anissimoff says.

"Fashion has discounts seven months a year and you can't make for healthy business in the long term. `Sale' has no meaning any more. It used to mean leftovers. Remember `seconds'?

"Now it provides a complete `sale' selection really early in the season, devalues the product and doesn't reward the loyal customer who shops at full price."

What will Anissimoff do now?

"I don't know and I'm already bored."

So by Fall,

we will have (another) Hugo Boss store on 83 Bloor - by fall ?
a new Diesel Flagship store at Yorkville/Bellair by Summer
a new Burberry 2F Flagship store at 144/6 Bloor by Fall
a potential Apple store at 150 Bloor
a newly renovated Cole-Hahn store
a new Cartier 2F flagship

Anthropologie is apparently opening on Yorkville Ave as well.

Does anyone know if Teatro Verde is still moving to Yorkville Avenue, or if it is staying put at Hazelton Lanes?

Yorkville is dead, i remember a few years back all the restaurants were packed on a Saturday night, you couldn't get in without a reservation. As for high end stores, there is stores out in North York and Yorkdale mall that carry high clothing now a days.

Hey mikeinyyz, you mentioned Diesel at Yorkville/Belair opening this year....where exactly and is this confirmed?

Back