News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 803     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

I never realized that the first 11 floors will be Blast Resistant Floors.

My eyes are playing tricks on me, I just re-checked the building specs.

Wall to core is 45 feet east and west; 27 feet north and south.

74-Ground-Floor-plan.jpg

downtown tonight - just wanted to say that the pictures of the BA core, excellent as they are, do not do justice to the sheer imposing size of this bad boy...if you haven't seen it yet in person, you really need to get down there - this will be a very large building......also, btw, they were pumping concrete tonight at 10:00pm.....

Yes, this building is huge.

Glad to see confirmation it will be constructed of steel.

Wouldn't that make TD the paradigm shift?

Through all the towers and elements constructed, it might as well be more paradigm than shift per se (and besides, I think there were other such paradigm-shifters beforehand, like Richmond-Adelaide)

First sign of steel and it small stuff. Oct 21-07
1683254876_b73c5a00d9_b.jpg

1682393139_51edaf4840_b.jpg

1683269358_2356a8d204_b.jpg

1682410461_b3ec861818_b.jpg

1682414737_6ad005ab20_b.jpg

1682736125_d8538e3bff_b.jpg

First signs of something going to connect to the core and it almost as tall as the old one.
1682730647_bc44074811_b.jpg

1683581616_df2c7bcc5f_b.jpg

Steel construction, that's good news.

It's funny, I was walking by it with a friend and mentioned its awesomeness. He said "it doesn't look very big". Then I told him that's just the core, and it'll be over 700' tall. Shut him up real good.

thanks for the update drum.

Steel construction should mean this building will look better than most of the high rise towers we are used to seeing. Only mega tall steel skyscrapers in Toronto I can think of are of extreme high quailty:

TD Centre
FCP
Brookfield Place
Commerce Court

Are you sure about Brookfield Place (BCE)???

I remember watching Phase II - Bay Wellington Tower being built back when I was in college and I am almost positive it was poured concrete and rebar. Maybe the upper levels where it steps back were steel construction?

Also, I might disagree with you about CCW being of high quality... Ive always though of the alternate glass and panel finish as being fairly cheap looking, though now doubt that overall its an impressive building mainly based on height.

thanks for the update drum.

Steel construction should mean this building will look better than most of the high rise towers we are used to seeing. Only mega tall steel skyscrapers in Toronto I can think of are of extreme high quailty:

TD Centre
FCP
Brookfield Place
Commerce Court

I think Scotia looks better than all of these (except TD), and it was concrete. And I'm pretty sure BCE was concrete, as well.

Aside, I noticed in the Skywalk that PCL construction has covered the boarded-up south wall (where the fast food restaurants used to be) with large pictures of past projects, including Scotia, BCE, and air canada centre. It's pretty cool seeing those buildings three quarters finished with the cranes still on top. Check it out if you like old photos of downtown!

Are you sure about Brookfield Place (BCE)???

I remember watching Phase II - Bay Wellington Tower being built back when I was in college and I am almost positive it was poured concrete and rebar. Maybe the upper levels where it steps back were steel construction?

Also, I might disagree with you about CCW being of high quality... Ive always though of the alternate glass and panel finish as being fairly cheap looking, though now doubt that overall its an impressive building mainly based on height.

BCE - I always thought it was steel. - I'll have to check that out. (keep in mind I was 15-16 when it was built and my memory may not be that good in this regard)

CCW - nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion. - Personally I think it looks far better than FCP just due to how the marble has worn over the years.

Back