News   Jun 25, 2024
 803     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 767     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

How? It was probably a quickie plaster thing that was disposed of as soon as the Duke & Duchess left...

Generally they were - sometimes they were even made from fir boughs.

Maybe they'll build one if Steve Harper ever manages to invite the Prince & Princess of Wales to come to this country....

How exciting a structure for dour old Torontonians. Then again, maybe they get a bad rap, when you consider the exuberance of their buildings?

I love these old pictures, thanks for posting. Makes me realize how sorely we need a museum of Toronto history. This city must have a wealth of things that could be brought together creatively that would be of interest.

Honestly? That thing is pretty ugly in my opinion. I think it would even make Walt Disney blush.

It is pretty ornate, but that was the height of fashion in the Edwardian era. It's even tricked out with the new fangled electric light bulbs. So big city. So world class.

Interestingly, Toronto is a city without very many monuments- come to think of it, we don't really have any arches or monuments which one has to drive around or through (yes, but mildly the Princess Gates) in the city proper. I guess it would be too much for the average Torontonian to see such emblems of pride around the city..?

p5

(The gate actually isn't half bad, it has good proportions and suits the context properly-albeit a tacky.)

This image shows the arch at Bay and Richmond Street, erected by the Independent Order of Foresters.

Those IOF boys are such lickspittles.

Don't know if this means anything but I was at the site today and:

I saw some crates on the eastside of the construction site with medium sized pieces of structural steel.

I also so big steel brackets attached to the concrete core at floor levels.

(The gate actually isn't half bad, it has good proportions and suits the context properly-albeit a tacky.)

The "vulgarity" is excusable by its temporary nature. Same reason architectural theatrical sets tend to be more overloaded than architecture in real life...

Yes, temporary..So for that reason let's build some temporary arches aroudn the city..actually come to think of it...ahh..never mind...Speaking of vulgarity, has anyone noticed how fucking dirty our city is and has become?

p5

webcam imaged grabbed from Bay Adelaide.

looks like the lower levels have reached ground level. And we can see the final floorplate of the tower. The core is not directly centre in this tower. (slightly offset to the west after reviewing the image)

floorplatebafg7.jpg

Back