News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 568     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Interestingly, Toronto is a city without very many monuments- come to think of it, we don't really have any arches or monuments which one has to drive around or through (yes, but mildly the Princess Gates) in the city proper. I guess it would be too much for the average Torontonian to see such emblems of pride around the city..?

There is a little arch on the east side of Yonge near College. Not sure why it's there or what its purpose was. It seems like a bit of an architectural folly.

I'd love to see a highly modern take on a city arch. There is La Defense in Paris, but I almost imagine something glass and cube-like with a central arch and with a play of lighting at night. Not sure what it would commemorate, maybe Toronto's 'niceness' or something political like that.

mariokarter at SSC provided an excellent update today!

10/18/07
img0332kk2.jpg

img0337sg2.jpg

img0339za8.jpg

img0342ik3.jpg

img0340ch3.jpg

img0345vr5.jpg

img0347ec0.jpg

img0348jr4.jpg

img0354pu5.jpg

img0360ye8.jpg

img0364ct2.jpg

img0368sv4.jpg

img0378jf0.jpg

img0380yz1.jpg

There is a little arch on the east side of Yonge near College. Not sure why it's there or what its purpose was. It seems like a bit of an architectural folly.

That arch was salvaged from a grand old church at Yonge and Bloor that was demolished in the early 80s and rebuilt in the base of an office tower next-door. The fact that it's never had a proper plaque installed is one of Toronto's curious curatorial oversights. Apparently the fear at the time was that hoodlums would steal anything bronze or copper that was put up.

webcam imaged grabbed from Bay Adelaide.

looks like the lower levels have reached ground level. And we can see the final floorplate of the tower. The core is not directly centre in this tower. (slightly offset to the west after reviewing the image)

floorplatebafg7.jpg

My eyes are playing tricks on me, I just re-checked the building specs.

Wall to core is 45 feet east and west; 27 feet north and south.

That arch was salvaged from a grand old church at Yonge and Bloor that was demolished in the early 80s and rebuilt in the base of an office tower next-door. The fact that it's never had a proper plaque installed is one of Toronto's curious curatorial oversights. Apparently the fear at the time was that hoodlums would steal anything bronze or copper that was put up.

I never heard of this. Where was the church and where's the office building with the church facade?

My eyes are playing tricks on me, I just re-checked the building specs.

Wall to core is 45 feet east and west; 27 feet north and south.
Caltrane, I'm pretty sure they're doing some underground work on the east side that will eventually be covered over by the parkette.

The Church of Scotland that is behind the Alliance Atlantis building?

Correct. (NB: they didn't retain the facade: it was a total rebuild. All that's left is that piddly arch.)

As far as "commemorative arch" equivalents in recent decades go, don't forget the NPS Peace Garden...

It was from the original St. Andrew's United Church, now in more modern premises at 117 Bloor Street East. It is indeed curious, and unfortunate, that no sign has been placed on this arch to recognize its origin.

downtown tonight - just wanted to say that the pictures of the BA core, excellent as they are, do not do justice to the sheer imposing size of this bad boy...if you haven't seen it yet in person, you really need to get down there - this will be a very large building......also, btw, they were pumping concrete tonight at 10:00pm.....

Thanks for the info' Sir Novelty. I cannot tell you how many times I've walked by it wondering why it was there. I like it though, it gives a little bit of 'Washington Square' feel to the area, especially in the fall.

It was from the original St. Andrew's United Church, now in more modern premises at 117 Bloor Street East. It is indeed curious, and unfortunate, that no sign has been placed on this arch to recognize its origin.

A yes, that's a United church. The saltire always makes me think it's Presbyterian.

I remember when that was a side street off Yonge connecting to McGill Street until the early 1980's. I've also been flummoxed as to where that arch ever came from, and it's purpose.

Back