News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 495     1 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

A few from yesterday

DSC_1549.jpg

DSC_1550.jpg

And the floors are starting to come along, I still cant figure out whether this is going to be concrete or steel.

DSC_1551.jpg

DSC_1554.jpg

Paul

I am starting to think steel too, They are not using pre-fab forms for the floors, they are making them all custom. So I am guessing that that it will be steel from ground up.

You can also see pieces of steel extruding from the concrete on the north side of the core which look like what they would weld the floor beams to. Although I wonder why they don't seem to those on the east/west sides.

If it were concrete I think we would see rebar sticking out instead.

I am starting to think steel too, They are not using pre-fab forms for the floors, they are making them all custom. So I am guessing that that it will be steel from ground up.

Pre-fab forms are never used underground as those floors do not have standard floorplates. Pre-fab forms general start on the second or third floor where the floorplates become standard. One of the reasons the underground work seems to take forever as everything needs to be built by hand. And thus the reason why buildings start to rise quickly once they cleared the first few floors. This is true for all buildings that have standard floorplates.

Just found this on the Toronto Archive page, not thread worthy but a look at what the area looked like in the fall of 1901. If you look at the building on the left you can see Toronto has a history of lighting up it's skyline so Bay and Adelaid will be paying homage to our history in a way.

f1568_it0504-2.jpg

In the autumn of 1901, the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York, later King George V and Queen Mary, visited Canada. They stayed in Toronto for two days, reviewing troops, greeting thousands of people, and being entertained by the lieutenant-governor, Sir Oliver Mowat. As part of the celebrations, prominent buildings were illuminated at night and a number of ceremonial arches were constructed throughout the city. This image shows the arch at Bay and Richmond Street, erected by the Independent Order of Foresters.

holy crap!! that's awesome!

i wish that could've been saved somehow. would be amazing to see the original or an updated version of it.

Back