News   Jul 16, 2024
 667     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 593     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

I really think the curtainwall will take this baby from "boring box" to "new gem on the skyline". It has so much goin' on (reflectivity with hints of transparency and bit 'o opaqueness to boot).

It's simple and silvery and will be a dancin' canvas of nieghbourhood reflections. Better than RBC, in part due to its dense context.

Time to start looking forward to BA2. I really hope they are able to add more floors to it. Twinned with BA1 would be hot.

I say ScotiaPlaza is closer to Mo - and not full blown PoMo.

Or, to be Charles Jencksian about it, LateMo.

picmoe.jpg

This is Mo.

And when it comes to pointy PoMo tops, here's Toronto's ultimate

I love walking in the shade of buildings! I hate bright direct sunlight (it gets so bad sometimes I just sleep all day and go out at night.)

These shadow provisions are going to lead to some bizarre skyline patterns when the city becomes as dense as Manhattan in the distant future. But it will never be a perfect sea-like wave of building tops, because there will be the handful of towers that manage to circumvent limitiations set by the city at the OMB.

So what if a building casts a shadow on NPS for 20 minutes in the afternoon? Sunshine is totally overrated. It's probably a PR tool used by city politicians to make it look like they're doing something beneficial.

"We didn't approve this development because it blocks :):):) sunshine :):):) from the Square!"

I think people forget how annoying sunshine actually is. I intentionally walk down Bay Street which is a shaded canyon of towers because otherwise I get frigging intense, blinding sun in my eyes. If anything, I wish the Square was MORE shaded. It still gets plenty of light all day anyway.
Most people like the sun, especially in a city where it's cold half the year. You can create shade in a sunny square in a variety of ways. You can't create sun in a shady square.

I don't see the OMB ever approving a development that the city turns down because of shadows on NPS. The city has been consistent on that point for decades and has a lot of documentation to back it up. Contrary to what a lot of people think, the OMB doesn't just throw the city's position out the window.

That info is wrong I think.

I'm pretty sure the original 80's design for BA1 was supposed to be between 900 and 1000 feet...

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the urbandb height info is wrong, I couldn't find any other sources to back it up. 900-1000 feet seems more reasonable for a 57 storey office tower with a pointy hat.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the urbandb height info is wrong, I couldn't find any other sources to back it up. 900-1000 feet seems more reasonable for a 57 storey office tower with a pointy hat.

Snip from a 1991 The Star Article:

"A big hole, to be sure, because the "Bay Adelaide" would have been one of the biggest buildings downtown, taller than its Scotia Plaza neighbor to the south and much more expansive than Commerce Court West at the southeast corner of King and Bay."

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar...2&desc=Bay+Adelaide+not+just+a+hole+in+ground

Didn't realize it was going to be that big. - Big and Ugly!!

( No wonder all the hype.. back in the day. Even now with 2400 posts!!)

Yeah, it was going to be a massive tower.

I have several renders of the original project, but have to find them on an archived CD.

Back