News   Jul 15, 2024
 285     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 434     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

44th Canadian Federal Election

My gut feeling is we'll get a very weak and unstable Liberal minority, with only a couple of seats more than the CPC. The NDP will be salivating over such a result.

They may be salivating but I don't see a minority lasting that long in the current political climate.

They may be salivating but I don't see a minority lasting that long in the current political climate.

I'm not so sure. Voters will not want to go to the polls again anytime soon. They're already frustrated that this election was called.

Ya, Trudeau has leverage there by saying he went to the public to see what they wanted, and they wanted the status quo, so the other parties need to fall in line. Another party causing an election right off the throne speech is out of the question, and I assume the budget will appear days after that and be pushed through fast. Then they can sit around and do nothing through probably an extended Christmas break.

EDIT: Also, I doubt anyone wants to overlap with the Ontario election next year (June 2nd,) so it will be interesting to see how they steer around that. My guess is if there is a minority with the Liberals having the most seats then we go another two years with them in power (no coalition) and then have another election in September 2023.

Last edited:
242002286_10165863795265221_5631506930220704451_n.jpg
From link.

People are generally impatient, irrespective of their political leanings, with governments.

I don't mean in a small-c conservative sense (anti-government); but rather with ineffectual politicians/leaders who fail to implement meaningful parts of their platform, who fail to actually raise the standard of living, at least modestly, for majority.
I expect, in any minority scenario, there will be a high degree of pressure to show accomplishments of some kind.

In the event this goes as it currently appears (Liberal minority) I expect that pressure will be somewhat more left-leaning.
But if its a Conservative minority, I expect similar pressure, albeit it from the right and the centre........putting any such government between a rock and a hard place.

As to the timing of any subsequent election; if there's a majority......not a day under 4 years, you would think................but if its a minority, I think a lot will have to do with allowing for leadership changes.

If he doesn't become PM, O'Toole will be under immense pressure to go; if Trudeau holds on only to a minority, given how polarizing he's become, I expect much the same. Even with a majority, I'd be surprised
to see Trudeau run for a 4th term.

In this case, it was actually before the deadline and they just didn't bother to replace him with someone else. It isn't a CPC friendly area.

Back