News   Jul 15, 2024
 485     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 592     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

44th Canadian Federal Election

I agree, I think he's largely remembered somewhat fondly by many.

I am a staunch NDP supporter since I was 18. Chretien was probably the only reason I'd have voted liberal if not for the fact he left office before I turned 18 (I turned 18 in 2005).

He's a great man, a great statesman and someone people from every political party could respect.

Speaking of Chretien it's ironic really. With all the protests at campaign events I was fully expecting Trudeau to strangle a protestor.

PPC surge time. Erin has been defending and praising Kenney for a while and now he will have to deal with this mess.

Diverging slightly from the current topic of discussion, does anyone else feel we've lost the ability to have rational debate?

I got called a coward and a nazi supporter today for suggesting we shouldn't dehumanize people even if they were PPC supporters. I didn't think that being against dehumanization would be a controversial viewpoint but my comment got flooded by people telling me how I was wrong and anyone who supports the PPC should be ostracized, treated like trash and driven out of the country.

I emphasized that we should stand up to them and challenge their viewpoints, but using their own playbook against them only.serves to justify their antics in my opinion.

I really thought that Canada wouldnt be subject to all the decay that we've seen in the US but that seems to not be the case. Or is it just me?

There is a literal prominent Nazi type urging people to vote PPC and many far right and white nationalist groups strongly support them. Now, I content that some of them are too dumb to realize that their antics just help Trudeau.

There is a literal prominent Nazi type urging people to vote PPC and many far right and white nationalist groups strongly support them. Now, I content that some of them are too dumb to realize that their antics just help Trudeau.
Right but even still does that justify dehumanizing PPC supporters?

Like I abhor the PPC and it makes me sad that they have any traction but I dont ever think there is a time and a place to dehumanize people even if they are dehumanizing others themselves.

We are all still people at the end of the day.

Diverging slightly from the current topic of discussion, does anyone else feel we've lost the ability to have rational debate?

I got called a coward and a nazi supporter today for suggesting we shouldn't dehumanize people even if they were PPC supporters. I didn't think that being against dehumanization would be a controversial viewpoint but my comment got flooded by people telling me how I was wrong and anyone who supports the PPC should be ostracized, treated like trash and driven out of the country.

I emphasized that we should stand up to them and challenge their viewpoints, but using their own playbook against them only.serves to justify their antics in my opinion.

I really thought that Canada wouldnt be subject to all the decay that we've seen in the US but that seems to not be the case. Or is it just me?
yes I agree Bjays92,

the PPC was my second choice after i read their website and listened to PPC candidates, i agree with the freedom issues but disagree with some other policy specially when it comes to monetary policy & economics

funny enough ,even the immigrants are starting to realize that this "woke" & "cancel culture" sucks lol.., was listening to Manjeet Singh PPC candidate interview on OMNI tv

I still dont understand why most people just assume the PPC is a group of white rural racist men, just look at their diverse group of candidates here in the GTA

BRAMPTON EAST​

Manjeet Singh

BRAMPTON WEST​

Rahul Samuel

MISSISSAUGA–STREETSVILLE​

Gurdeep Wolosz

SCARBOROUGH–ROUGE PARK​

Asad Rehman

TORONTO CENTRE​

Syed Jaffery
WILLOWDALE
Al Wahab

YORK CENTRE​

Nixon Nguyen

YORK SOUTH–WESTON​

Sitara Chiu

HUMBER RIVER–BLACK CREEK​

Raatib Anderson

MILTON​

Shibli Haddad

The latest seat projection from 338

1631796602001.png

Attack the argument/policy/idea, not the person/people is a good way to think; and a constructive way to engage.

But even some here at UT find that challenging.

I do understand the inclination to look down on a group that certainly includes many people with lower levels of education, and views that are at odds with mainstream Canadian political thought.
That said, it simply isn't useful or constructive to broad-brush the entire group; or even to condescend to those whose views may be abhorrent.

After all, the social goal, I would assume, would be to make said people aware of the intellectual shortcomings of their ideas; or to feel greater empathy for groups they may have animosity towards.
One won't get there by school yard taunts.

Last edited:
the PPC was my second choice after i read their website and listened to PPC candidates, i agree with the freedom issues but disagree with some other policy specially when it comes to monetary policy & economics

I confess they wouldn't rank as a choice for me really. Having read their platform, as I have for the NDP, Liberals, Greens and Conservatives........I find it more than a little wanting.

If the former can all be critiqued for overly verbose platforms filled with some good ideas, but lots of vacuous nonsense, and too little focus.....
The PPC can be critiqued for an overly simple platform, which ignores many crucial issues and has utterly preposterous ideas for others.

funny enough ,even the immigrants are starting to realize that this "woke" & "cancel culture" sucks lol.., was listening to Manjeet Singh PPC candidate interview on OMNI tv

Lots of people take issues w/the extreme elements of the above; but doing so does not mean anything like automatic support for the PPC.

I still dont understand why most people just assume the PPC is a group of white rural racist men, just look at their diverse group of candidates here in the GTA

The PPC support does tend to be strongest in rural Alberta, Rural BC, and Northern Ontario.

It wouldn't be wrong to say their message plays better in areas that are less diverse and more rural, on average.
Certainly, its overly simplistic to characterize the group as above; but it wouldn't be wrong to say their supporters disproportionately come from said group.

But to your point, the National Post has an article below:

Last edited:
I agree, I think he's largely remembered somewhat fondly by many.
Strangled an obnoxious protester. We’d all like to do that. And a wife, Inuit statue in hand ready to bludgeon an intruder. He’s was a take no sh#t PM with a tough as nails spouse alongside. All good.

Back