News   Aug 13, 2024
 427     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 539     0 

44th Canadian Federal Election

There won't be an appetite for another election. They'll figure out a way to make it work.
But if the Liberals win the most seats does that guarantee them the government? Couldn’t Singh and Otoole make a coalition? Isn‘t that what almost happened to Harper when the GG prevaricated for a few days?

But if the Liberals win the most seats does that guarantee them the government? Couldn’t Singh and Otoole make a coalition? Isn‘t that what almost happened to Harper when the GG prevaricated for a few days?

It would be all about who can convince the GG that they will enjoy the 'confidence of the House', which will obviously depend on the seat distribution. The 2008 'crisis' wasn't a result of the election; the Conservatives formed a minority government but were faced with a non-confidence vote and Liberal-NDP agreement to present a coalition agreement to the GG (with the Bloc in support). The House was prorogued and the agreement fell apart.

I really can't see a formal or informal agreement between the Conservatives and NDP given the gap in their platforms; or at least one that would have any legs. If they did, I think party supporters on both sides and voters in general would view it as a crass grab for power and be severely punished at the next inevitable election

I really can't see a formal or informal agreement between the Conservatives and NDP given the gap in their platforms; or at least one that would have any legs.
So then we're back, regardless of all Singh's rhetoric to the NDP propping up Trudeau and the Liberals. Is that the legacy Singh wants to leave behind, serving as nothing more than a leg to Trudeau's stool?

OTOH, a NDP coalitions with the Cons would likely force Justin out of the leadership of the LPC.

So then we're back, regardless of all Singh's rhetoric to the NDP propping up Trudeau and the Liberals. Is that the legacy Singh wants to leave behind, serving as nothing more than a leg to Trudeau's stool?

OTOH, a NDP coalitions with the Cons would likely force Justin out of the leadership of the LPC.

The NDP can never realistically win a federal election, so if they can use their kingmaker role propping up a minority Liberal government to get elements of their platform implemented that's a success for them.

I already voted by mail. My family already voted at one of the advance polls (one on Sunday, the other on Monday). So there is nothing can be changed, on my part.

So leaving this thread behind until election day. In the meantime, I'll be turning my attention to you especially Doug Ford, and to John Tory.

Last edited:
Somehow people still think it is a good idea to talk about Auschwitz in anything but an earnest way is beyond me.
As time passes it will become as solemn an event as any other genocidal tragedy in human history, to be discussed and considered in ways we may find abhorrently insensitive and inappropriate today.

The NDP can never realistically win a federal election, so if they can use their kingmaker role propping up a minority Liberal government to get elements of their platform implemented that's a success for them.
I voted for Chang in Toronto Centre. I hope the NDP takes it, but the Greens are splitting the vote.

Back