News   Jul 15, 2024
 103     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

44th Canadian Federal Election

Get a load of this poll from EKOS, I rather hope their PPC result is one of the one times out of 20............

View attachment 348019
1631373313251.png
PPC is definitely moving up, though double digit support is likely an artifact of this one poll having a small sample since the more thorough regional polling seems to have them below 10% everywhere, even Alberta, so I don't know how they could be 10% nationally.

Interestingly, their support seems to be coming at a net-cost of support to the NDP, directly or indirectly I can't tell. It could be a net impact where NDP supporters are moving Liberal, Liberal supporters moving Conservative, and Conservative supporters are moving to PPC, which nets out to negative NDP, positive PPC, and no net impact to Libs or Cons.

It's tough to parse out, but the CBC poll tracker image here appears to reflect this net shift party by party through this month-to-date. But also the PPC could be attracting people from every party in some parts of Canada. Their nationalist and libertarian messaging can appeal to both the left and right.

Last edited:
I voted this morning. It went reasonably well, though they were obviously not prepared for a line of people waiting at 9:00, but they managed to clear all of them by 9:15, and then people could walk right in and vote immediately...
I voted yesterday (Friday) at about 6 p.m. and there was no line up. I took my Ontario Photo Card as I.D. (I don't drive anymore, and you need something displaying your photo and address) and noticed that both it and my Health card show an expiry date in the middle of 2020. They took it without any problem and I think they didn't even bother to check if it had expired. I had also taken my passport (they only need to be renewed every ten years instead of five) and the last credit card bill that was mailed to me 3 months ago (before they had finally switched over to online), but I didn't need them.
I'm not sure how I failed to notice the Health card had expired when I used it earlier in the year for vaccinations. I renewed the Ont Photo ID card online for $38.50, but it seems I now must go to a Service Ontario location to renew the Health card as doing so online also requires a driver's licence, and cannot be done otherwise, even with the Ont Photo card.

Edit: Mon., Sept. 13 -- Huge line-up at nearest Service Ontario location to me at about 4:45 p.m., with most people holding licence plates in their hands. I left and will have to try again another day, and on the way home noticed another line-up outside of the advanced voting location I had used on Friday, so good thing I did it then instead of waiting.

Last edited:
My wife and I voted today at the Wellesley Community Centre on Sherbourne. It was easy, no one else there, but the clerk took at least two mins checking my drivers license against my Voter card, finding and then crossing out my name on the list, then pulling a ballot from the pad, writing out my name on a separate list and I assume the ballot number, and then folding my ballot. If there were ten people behind me the tenth person would have voted about 20 min after me. So, I highly recommend voting early.

It was good to see both my newly-registered kids on the list beneath my name. Since they voted by mail their names were struck through by default.

So, that’s four for Chang in Toronto Centre.

Both the wife and I voted today. Three people in front of us, a couple behind when we left. The only ID tendered was the voter registration. Five minutes, tops.

I voted yesterday (Friday) at about 6 p.m. and there was no line up. I took my Ontario Photo Card as I.D. (I don't drive anymore, and you need something displaying your photo and address) and noticed that both it and my Health card show an expiry date in the middle of 2020. They took it without any problem and I think they didn't even bother to check if it had expired. I had also taken my passport (they only need to be renewed every ten years instead of five) and the last credit card bill that was mailed to me 3 months ago (before they had finally switched over to online), but I didn't need them.
I'm not sure how I failed to notice the Health card had expired when I used it earlier in the year for vaccinations. I renewed the Ont Photo ID card online for $38.50, but it seems I now must go to a Service Ontario location to renew the Health card as doing so online also requires a driver's licence, and cannot be done otherwise, even with the Ont Photo card.
The Ontario card expirations were extended indefinitely because of the pandemic. I'm not sure of the current status on that, but mine expired in August 2020 and I didn't renew them until the end of that year.
I did run into some people who were grumpy about taking those as ID (the bank for one), but they eventually accepted it.

Last edited:
I didn’t even know there was a freeze. In June we took the kids to Service Ontario to get their ID cards and the place looked active enough.

There was a freeze early on in the pandemic due to covid restrictions and related closures.

It's why Service Ontario is so backlogged now.

The freeze was for over a year. It was only lifted in the past couple of weeks. While you could renew, you didn’t have to. There was no penalty for letting stickers, licenses etc lapse, but there was also no waiving of fees so people are now surprised to see that they still owe for the set 18 months.

online where possible is the best bet. I had my new stickers within a week.

The freeze was for over a year. It was only lifted in the past couple of weeks. While you could renew, you didn’t have to. There was no penalty for letting stickers, licenses etc lapse, but there was also no waiving of fees so people are now surprised to see that they still owe for the set 18 months.

online where possible is the best bet. I had my new stickers within a week.

I'll have to check my ID, didn't get any expiry notices; I did my plates in March 2020 and took the 2-year option; so they'll be up next year.

Back