News   Apr 25, 2024
 348     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 421     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 624     0 

407 Transitway

it is odd for MTO to be doing these if they don't plan on completing them for another 20+ years. Usually MTO performs an EA and within a few years have some sort of construction project identified that at least partially relies on it..

I wonder if it is simply a land protection manner? they want to make sure nobody is developing a future station site?

it is odd for MTO to be doing these if they don't plan on completing them for another 20+ years. Usually MTO performs an EA and within a few years have some sort of construction project identified that at least partially relies on it..

I wonder if it is simply a land protection manner? they want to make sure nobody is developing a future station site?

MTO does studies 20+ years out for major highways on a somewhat regular basis precisely as a land corridor acquisition/protection exercise. They've been doing it over the past few years at least for Highway 17 between the 417 and the Manitoba border, there may be significant realignments in some areas vs. the current corridor.

Generally, they do an environmental assessment to scan the existing area, pick a corridor that has the least impact on the natural environment and people, do a preliminary design, and then start negotiations for land assembly and other arrangements once they finish the EA. When they get closer to actually securing funding and starting construction, they dust off those EAs, go into detailed design and do another scan to make sure things are up to date, and make any adjustments.

So I figure this is the same process. It's better to have your foundational surveys done and be ready subject to minor revisions and permits vs. having nothing at all.

MTO does studies 20+ years out for major highways on a somewhat regular basis precisely as a land corridor acquisition/protection exercise. They've been doing it over the past few years at least for Highway 17 between the 417 and the Manitoba border, there may be significant realignments in some areas vs. the current corridor.

Generally, they do an environmental assessment to scan the existing area, pick a corridor that has the least impact on the natural environment and people, do a preliminary design, and then start negotiations for land assembly and other arrangements once they finish the EA. When they get closer to actually securing funding and starting construction, they dust off those EAs, go into detailed design and do another scan to make sure things are up to date, and make any adjustments.

So I figure this is the same process. It's better to have your foundational surveys done and be ready subject to minor revisions and permits vs. having nothing at all.

This is very accurate. In this location it's likely that the EA was completed so that the corridor can be protected. In years to come there will be more and more development pressures put on the corridor and so being able to protect for areas around stations or for developments to incorporate stations will become more vital. Otherwise we end up with situations like Eglinton West where potential transit corridors get housing built on them.

On plate 30 of the Graphics Package, the Transitway is directly next to the highway. Won't this create problems for future widening of the highway?
upload_2018-8-23_10-23-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-23_10-23-31.png
    upload_2018-8-23_10-23-31.png
    796.4 KB · Views: 564
The fact that the 407 Transitway completely ignores Bramalea GO Station (where a lot of GO buses come in and off Highway 407) says so much about transit planning in the GTA. A Dixie Road Station is fine, but a Bramalea GO connection would be so much more useful.

Yes, I realize that this is a MTO, rather than a Metrolinx-led project. But that's part of the problem.

The fact that the 407 Transitway completely ignores Bramalea GO Station (where a lot of GO buses come in and off Highway 407) says so much about transit planning in the GTA. A Dixie Road Station is fine, but a Bramalea GO connection would be so much more useful.

Yes, I realize that this is a MTO, rather than a Metrolinx-led project. But that's part of the problem.
Probably integrating the transitway and Bramalea GO would mean a re-design of the Bramalea station. I know that this station has been re-built several times but it is probably not due for another re-work until sometime in....oh, wait, nevermind, they are rebuilding it now ;)

That stretch of the 407 is already at it's ultimate designed width - which is a massive 6 lanes in each direction. if you add more lanes than that you have to go to a collector-express system - which may be a bit out of budget for 407 ETR.

I don't really get this project. Traffic on the 407 is almost always moving well. Why do GO buses need another dedicated lane? Will the 407 concession company charge GO for using the transitway?

I don't really get this project. Traffic on the 407 is almost always moving well. Why do GO buses need another dedicated lane? Will the 407 concession company charge GO for using the transitway?
407 ETR does charge public transit - and I believe they charge them the commercial truck rates too, which are significantly more than a passenger vehicle.

The primary reason for the transitway is that the 407 will not run free-flow forever - much of the highway is now at it's ultimate design width, and moving into the future it will start to be increasingly congested.

Back