News   Apr 24, 2024
 974     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

407 Rail Freight Bypass/The Missing Link

Only $2 Billion and 3 years to make the Milton Line 4 track and offering all day service both direction 7 days a week. Supposed to happen in 2014, but die after the election. Then the line was to be 3 track by 2011 and still not 9 years later..

All corridors with CN and CP "MUST BE 4 TRACKS" to be the backbone of Transit. Track Speed in these corridors need to handle 200 km/hr trains with as many grade separation as possible.

Only $2 Billion and 3 years to make the Milton Line 4 track and offering all day service both direction 7 days a week. Supposed to happen in 2014, but die after the election. Then the line was to be 3 track by 2011 and still not 9 years later..

All corridors with CN and CP "MUST BE 4 TRACKS" to be the backbone of Transit. Track Speed in these corridors need to handle 200 km/hr trains with as many grade separation as possible.
I really hope that this gets some traction. Having the Milton line with near-metro service levels would be transformative for Mississauga.

I really hope that this gets some traction. Having the Milton line with near-metro service levels would be transformative for Mississauga.

As well, I understand it's a distant possibility now, but a Milton line extension to Galt would be much preferable to creating a radial/spur route off the Kitchener line, which would probably only ever have commuter-oriented peak service and crowd that line even further. The Region of Waterloo did some moderately extensive planning around station locations, all in Galt, with the Milton line in mind. Using the Kitchener line would require either a subpar station location or a complex route through Cambridge that would require significant use of CP tracks anyway.

As well, I understand it's a distant possibility now, but a Milton line extension to Galt would be much preferable to creating a radial/spur route off the Kitchener line, which would probably only ever have commuter-oriented peak service and crowd that line even further. The Region of Waterloo did some moderately extensive planning around station locations, all in Galt, with the Milton line in mind. Using the Kitchener line would require either a subpar station location or a complex route through Cambridge that would require significant use of CP tracks anyway.

The advantage with going up to the Kitchener Line though is you enable a Cambridge-Guelph commuting pattern. The way I see it is there should be a triangle arrangement between K-W, Cambridge, and Guelph.

The ION LRT will provide the link between K-W and Cambridge. A beefed up GO line (with perhaps a shuttle overlay) could run between K-W and Guelph, and this 3rd line could complete the triangle.

No municipality is going to pull it off without the Feds mandating it on their behalf, and chipping in to help pay for it.

Considering CP is apparently letting Metrolinx build their own tracks in the CP corridor for the Bowmanville extension, I fully expect this to open the door for the 4th track on the Milton Line

Which will negate the need for at least this part of the missing link.

Last edited:
^ True, but what the article surprisingly didn't cover was what happened when the bypass plan was still on the table and the reaction by York Region elected reps, local neighborhood associations along the CN York Sub, and CN Rail itself. Readers in Mississauga who want this should be made aware of the realistic complete picture.

Considering CP is apparently letting Metrolinx build their own tracks in the CP corridor for the Bowmanville extension, I fully expect this to open the door for the 4th track on the Milton Line

Which wi negate the need for at least this part of the missing link.

Given the positive words Verster had for the CP CEO for the GO Bowmaville Extension work, indeed, hopefully it's a good sign for Milton Line work.

Also, I think a former CP VP just joined the Metrolinx board (or maybe became a VP I can't remember)

A reference to it here:

Midtown line though :'(
Two thoughts:
1) could the freight bypass get done with CIB investment? CP gains capital $$ from land sales, and instead of future operating costs they pay usage fee on expanded CN corridor (how CN is compensated has to come into play). CP will make more than enough in redevelopment (Bombardier sold Downsview for $685M, but unsure if CP might be able to do some of the upzoning through its own real estate arm first)
2) if CP is allowing additional trackage in the east end, and then Milton...if Metrolinx were interested, might they also allow extra trackage on midtown?

Two thoughts:
1) could the freight bypass get done with CIB investment? CP gains capital $$ from land sales, and instead of future operating costs they pay usage fee on expanded CN corridor (how CN is compensated has to come into play). CP will make more than enough in redevelopment (Bombardier sold Downsview for $685M, but unsure if CP might be able to do some of the upzoning through its own real estate arm first)
2) if CP is allowing additional trackage in the east end, and then Milton...if Metrolinx were interested, might they also allow extra trackage on midtown?

A very valid question, that has multiple angles.

The first is whether the land is valued as a going concern ie railway versus as land by itself. The CP’s swath of real estate across North Toronto has sufficient value for development that CP must periodically wonder if they would be smarter to get out of the railway business and just build things. (In essence, that’s what the entire move off the Railway Lands has been about, up to and including the Raildeck Park story). One needs to stay grounded in the belief that Cp does see value in being a railway for the long term, and needs a route across town. And if they don’t, Metrolinx does. So selling the land to build on may be a fantasy. Further, cost of a new route would also be huge, and CP would not move simply out of kindness. The land valuation issues would be a big point of contention.

The second consideration is that railways prefer to own than to rent. On paper, the bypass route from Milton is flatter and shorter than the route CN currently uses. At face value, one ought to assume that the bypass would be cheaper, and even be able to quantify how much the bypass would save CN. That might inform how much they would be willing to pay the CIB for that opportunity, and that in turn might establish whether that looked like a good deal to CIB to be worth financing. On face value it’s a slam dunk…..Except…. once one establishes that there might be shared use of that asset with CP, and perhaps with GO/VIA, as some documents suggest….CN will get nervous about their ability to retain control of their operation, and whether they can retain needed capacity. It’s just safer to keep the asset that they have to themselves at present.

Lastly, railways are competitive about this stuff. Even if the bypass were built as two separate domains - one for CP, one for CN - CN knows how many miles of track CP has between Agincourt and Milton, and what their grades are, etc. If CN found that the bypass reduced CP’s costs more than it reduced CN’s, then as a simple matter of competitive equity CN would oppose the deal - and CP would also as vice versa.

So yeah, on some macro level one can construct a balance sheet with puts and takes that would look like economic sense to the railways. And yes, if there was the right ROI, it’s exactly the sort of infrastructure project that the CIB was set up to facilitate. But I can’t see it happening without a big policy nudge. Even with the CIB offering cheap money, Railways just don’t budge on these things, even for money, unless their other interests and risks align.

- Paul

Back