News   Sep 30, 2020
 312     0 
News   Sep 30, 2020
 599     1 

407 Rail Freight Bypass/The Missing Link

Tuscani01

Member Bio
Reaction score
Between Crombie and Vankoeverden, I have no doubt that the Federal Liberals are giving this some thought. With Mississauga swinging PC Provincially, it would also be a no-brainer for the Ford government to give its support to as well.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Only $2 Billion and 3 years to make the Milton Line 4 track and offering all day service both direction 7 days a week. Supposed to happen in 2014, but die after the election. Then the line was to be 3 track by 2011 and still not 9 years later..

All corridors with CN and CP "MUST BE 4 TRACKS" to be the backbone of Transit. Track Speed in these corridors need to handle 200 km/hr trains with as many grade separation as possible.

asher__jo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Only $2 Billion and 3 years to make the Milton Line 4 track and offering all day service both direction 7 days a week. Supposed to happen in 2014, but die after the election. Then the line was to be 3 track by 2011 and still not 9 years later..

All corridors with CN and CP "MUST BE 4 TRACKS" to be the backbone of Transit. Track Speed in these corridors need to handle 200 km/hr trains with as many grade separation as possible.
I really hope that this gets some traction. Having the Milton line with near-metro service levels would be transformative for Mississauga.

tmlittle

Member Bio
Reaction score
I really hope that this gets some traction. Having the Milton line with near-metro service levels would be transformative for Mississauga.
As well, I understand it's a distant possibility now, but a Milton line extension to Galt would be much preferable to creating a radial/spur route off the Kitchener line, which would probably only ever have commuter-oriented peak service and crowd that line even further. The Region of Waterloo did some moderately extensive planning around station locations, all in Galt, with the Milton line in mind. Using the Kitchener line would require either a subpar station location or a complex route through Cambridge that would require significant use of CP tracks anyway.

gweed123

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
As well, I understand it's a distant possibility now, but a Milton line extension to Galt would be much preferable to creating a radial/spur route off the Kitchener line, which would probably only ever have commuter-oriented peak service and crowd that line even further. The Region of Waterloo did some moderately extensive planning around station locations, all in Galt, with the Milton line in mind. Using the Kitchener line would require either a subpar station location or a complex route through Cambridge that would require significant use of CP tracks anyway.
The advantage with going up to the Kitchener Line though is you enable a Cambridge-Guelph commuting pattern. The way I see it is there should be a triangle arrangement between K-W, Cambridge, and Guelph.

The ION LRT will provide the link between K-W and Cambridge. A beefed up GO line (with perhaps a shuttle overlay) could run between K-W and Guelph, and this 3rd line could complete the triangle.

KevinT

Member Bio
Reaction score
No municipality is going to pull it off without the Feds mandating it on their behalf, and chipping in to help pay for it.