News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

407 Rail Freight Bypass/The Missing Link

Another point that struck me was, if the intent is to drive all freight to 'the bypass', what becomes of the few but existing customers scattered throughout the GTA. Currently, I assume they are served by 'locals' on company owned lines or running rights on GO-owned lines. If the ultimate goal is to have frequent all hours passenger service, how do these customers get serviced? Even if they can, with short locals running longer distances from the bypass, does it remain financially viable? Dunno.

^ Pretty sure they would move any local switching to non-passenger train hours. I wouldn't expect it to be a huge challenge between Georgetown and Bramalea.

No new news here for those following this thread, but nevertheless, latest media article.

The presentations Gord is referring to have been posted here before, but just in case you haven't seen them, here's the link.

- In August and September 2017 Metrolinx staff provided presentation to Waterloo Regional Council and Waterloo City Council which referenced the Bypass.
- It was noted that it would take “7 years to complete including from the EA right through to completing construction”, Metrolinx and CN Rail are doing "feasibility reviews" right now, and the "Induction Study will be complete by December [2017]. Formal planning work will begin in the Spring [of 2018]." (see here is the presentation and see this link for a video of the presentation)

Metrolinx negotiations with CN Rail ongoing for Kitchener GO
Higher volume service to Kitchener will take 'a number of years,' says official
CBC News Posted: Nov 29, 2017 2:11 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 29, 2017 5:06 PM ET

Things are moving along with Metrolinx plans for the Kitchener corridor, but not as fast as Waterloo region residents may want.

"I know people in Kitchener are very anxious, but the initial indications for the [freight train] bypass is that it's quite a substantial amount of work," said Gord Troughton, director of the Kitchener corridor infrastructure.
The company is negotiating with CN Rail to build a 30-kilometre freight bypass in order for passenger trains to use the existing rail owned by CN between Georgetown and Bramalea. Waterloo Regional council was updated on the decision in August.

Troughton told CBC News they are currently working on a feasibility study of the freight bypass and will finalize the agreement for early next year.
"It'll still be a number of years for the higher volume service to get out to Kitchener," he said.

The second track to Kitchener won't be put in until negotiations and environmental assessments are finished.

Troughton quoted seven years as the goal to start passenger service on the second track.

One of the links referenced a meeting back in April. Just musing aloud because there is no mention one way or the other in this latest update.

One of the links referenced a meeting back in April. Just musing aloud because there is no mention one way or the other in this latest update.

Oh, okay now I understand. If you watch the video the off-peak issue may have come up in the Q and A with Regional Councillors. I'm not sure how much they are aware of the Union to Bramalea potential, pre-Bypass, for off-peak service.

I think Metrolinx visited Brampton Council to discuss the draft RTP so it may have come up there. I haven't watched the video. If interested I could try to find it and post it.

There's a reference to the Bypass and CP in this article about service to Cambridge, and the new Minister wanting details.

Reference in article: "While advocates for a Cambridge GO train station contend upgrading the bus line to rail would increase demand, a major obstacle is that the Canadian Pacific Railway owns the track on the Milton corridor and uses it for frequent freight service. Metrolinx has an agreement with the company to operate GO trains as far as Milton, but not farther west. Until a new freight corridor is built that would allow freight service to be shifted off the Milton line, Metrolinx says it is “quite limited regarding expansion.” (emphasis added)

And, just to recall this from November 2017: "In discussions held earlier this year, senior CN staff indicated to senior Regional representatives that CN was also opposed to any connection between the CP/Milton rail line and the CN-York mainline."

There's a reference to the Bypass and CP in this article about service to Cambridge, and the new Minister wanting details.

Reference in article: "While advocates for a Cambridge GO train station contend upgrading the bus line to rail would increase demand, a major obstacle is that the Canadian Pacific Railway owns the track on the Milton corridor and uses it for frequent freight service. Metrolinx has an agreement with the company to operate GO trains as far as Milton, but not farther west. Until a new freight corridor is built that would allow freight service to be shifted off the Milton line, Metrolinx says it is “quite limited regarding expansion.” (emphasis added)

And, just to recall this from November 2017: "In discussions held earlier this year, senior CN staff indicated to senior Regional representatives that CN was also opposed to any connection between the CP/Milton rail line and the CN-York mainline."

Ironically though, pursuing the Missing Link would do absolutely nothing for GO service to Cambridge, which is the Minister's aim. The Missing Link would re-join the existing CP ROW well east of Cambridge, so the same obstacles that exist today would exist then as well.

Ironically though, pursuing the Missing Link would do absolutely nothing for GO service to Cambridge, which is the Minister's aim. The Missing Link would re-join the existing CP ROW well east of Cambridge, so the same obstacles that exist today would exist then as well.

The only benefit would be simplification of scheduling. CP Trains would only conflict with GO Trains between Lisgar and Galt Stations, and presumably, it would be a limited peak-direction service. It could help, but not by that much.

Back