News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

407 Rail Freight Bypass/The Missing Link

I think the dotted line is just approximate.

Probably to keep alignment vague.

If it's in the 407 corridor, it seems more likely to be a trenched between the 407 and the transmission pylons. (Trenched to keep it a very freight-happy level grade under interchanges). That necessarily puts the line a few tens meters south of the 407.

Last edited:
I think the dotted line is just approximate.

If it's in the 407 corridor, it seems more likely to be a trenched between the 407 and the transmission pylons. (Trenched to keep it a very level grade under interchanges)

I think you're right. I had a quick look on Google maps and the south side makes more sense. Not sure why they couldn't have just put the dotted line there even though it's a conceptual map. It's not hard to do.

I'm old enough to remember when the CN bypass (York & Halton Subs) was built. Other than the east and west ends, the line originally went through nothing but farmland. I can't think of even a small village it touched. I find it interesting than people would bought homes backing out or near active rail - all of which came after the line was built - now complain about trains. It is similar to people building out in farm country then complaining about the smells and tractors blocking the road (the reason some municipalities have passed 'right to farm' legislation or require that title documents acknowledge the presence of farming).

I suppose NIMBY-ism is a matter of perspective; it seems York Region doesn't want Toronto's problem.

I'm old enough to remember when the CN bypass (York & Halton Subs) was built. Other than the east and west ends, the line originally went through nothing but farmland. I can't think of even a small village it touched. I find it interesting than people would bought homes backing out or near active rail - all of which came after the line was built - now complain about trains. It is similar to people building out in farm country then complaining about the smells and tractors blocking the road (the reason some municipalities have passed 'right to farm' legislation or require that title documents acknowledge the presence of farming).

I suppose NIMBY-ism is a matter of perspective; it seems York Region doesn't want Toronto's problem.
There's a degree of culpability on the part of the buyers, but the real responsibility lies with the local municipality and province for allowing construction that close to a rail line that was obviously going to see increased usage.

I don't see or hear any outrage over the 407, and it presents as much or more of a threat to quality of life.

Trainweb.org may have solved the question.

According to them it is very old (no date given but the wiki date may not be far off) but it was rebuilt in the period of 1959 - 1965.

So perhaps people are recalling that work? But if that is what is being remembered the notion that it went through “nothing but Farmland” needs to be challenged.

Anyway....it is old but was rebuilt.

It was a misnomer using the "Halton Sub" term. York Sub is the right one, and the point on farmland is correct, I too remember it well.
[...]
The CN York Subdivision, or York Sub for short, is a railway line in York and Durham regions in the Greater Toronto Area. It runs for 25 miles between the Pickering Junction on the eastern edge of Toronto, and the MacMillan Yard in Vaughan.

Prior to the construction of the York Sub, CN traffic ran through the downtown core along the CN Kingston Subdivision and through the Union Station area. During the 1950s, CN developed a plan to move traffic off of this line to a major new switching yard in what was then farmland far to the north of the city. The switching yard emerged as the MacMillan Yard, and the traffic normally passing through downtown was switched onto two new tracks, the Halton Sub connecting to the west, and the York Sub to the east. Construction of the York Sub took place between 1959 and 1965.[1]

Originally built in what was then farmland, the York Sub is now firmly embedded in the Greater Toronto Area and has little room for expansion. The lines pass from the Kingston Sub to York Sub at Pickering Junction, with a prominent bridge crossing over Highway 401 in an area now surrounded by buildings, including the Pickering Town Centre. The line runs just north of Steeles Ave to Yonge Street, then turns northeast to join John Street from Bayview to Woodbine, Esna Park Road/Alden Road between Woodbine to Warden, and 14th Avenue from Warden to Markham Road. It connects with the Newmarket Sub at Snider, with the Bala Sub at Doncaster, and with the Uxbridge Sub at Hagerman. Originally, there ware diamonds with connecting wye tracks at each of these locations, but since the crossing with the Uxbridge Subdivision was grade separated, the connecting tracks at Hagerman were removed. [...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CN_York_Subdivision

As for the Halton, off the top of my head - Mac Yard to Halwest (Bramalea). is new in the early 60s, open 1965. Halwest to Silver (Georgetown) is Grand Trunk, a very old line dating from 1860ish. Silver to Burlington - Hamilton & Northwestern, 1880ish.

- Paul

Halwest to Silver (Georgetown) is Grand Trunk, a very old line dating from 1860ish.
Originally the Toronto and Guelph, extended west when GTR came to town, but not to the same level of construction. The T&G was an exceptionally (for its day) well-built line, much of the remaining original infrastructure (bridges etc) in excellent shape to this day.

That's as much a comment on how much more important Guelph was a century ago than what it is now (basically a satellite city this side of Kitchener/Waterloo). The Toronto-Guelph Interurban was also considered to continue west to K/W, but that leg thought uneconomic at the time. Odd in retrospect.

So I'm 'sort of' vindicated (?!?). I grew up around Yonge and Steeles so my memory was of the eastern (York sub) side. I have no recollection what went on in the west end, but if Mac Yard was new in the 60s, then it seems at least part of the west end would have been new as well. I wonder if the Halton Sub covered a different alignment back then. Not unheard of. Regardless, I'm just happy I remember what I had for breakfast.

So I'm 'sort of' vindicated (?!?). I grew up around Yonge and Steeles so my memory was of the eastern (York sub) side. I have no recollection what went on in the west end, but if Mac Yard was new in the 60s, then it seems at least part of the west end would have been new as well. I wonder if the Halton Sub covered a different alignment back then. Not unheard of. Regardless, I'm just happy I remember what I had for breakfast.

The section of the line through Milton which is on an embankment was built new in 1964-ish as part of that original CN bypass work. But other than that, and the section from Halwest east, the line was completely pre-existing and was just improved for the bypass, although they did rebuild virtually every single bridge along the existing sections of the line.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back