News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 669     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 935     0 

294 Richmond E @ Sherbourne (TLS, 6s, Sweeny &Co.) COMPLETE

grey: Yes, the fashionable, faux boho lifestyle "loft" appeal of higher ceilings ( Put up huge canvases! Paint in northern light! Make giant sculptures! Get a dealer! Have a gallery show! ) was what I referred to earlier.

And I agree that there may also be a reaction to the low-ceilinged Modernist houses and apartments that the people who are now designing apartments grew up in.

I prefer modernist interiors with higher celings. Take a 12'x14' room with 10' ceilings and big windows on one side, throw in an invisible bookshelf, an eames rocker, a neat lamp, and call it a day.

Higher ceilings make the space seem bigger, which I think is more conducive to minimalism, ironically. Short feels cramped to me, whether we're talking about a closet or a penthouse.

I don't suffer from claustrophobia, I promise.

Last edited:
Yes, an evolution of the Modernist ideal, I think - the practical, unadorned workhorse style that was employed to rebuild much of Europe, and went gangbusters in cities like Toronto after WW2, supersized by the aspirational tastes of a more affluent society.

Adam Vaughan gave a nice little talk at the Court Noxon book launch, where he pointed out the appeal of Modernism after the War including the idea that since Hitler hated the Bauhaus so there must be something good about it!

The Star Jan 17

Christopher Hum - Condo Critic

294 RICHMOND ST. E. : In the case of this condo, the battle between old and new has been resolved adamantly in favour of the latter. Located on the northwest corner of Richmond and Sherbourne St., this elegant low-rise building makes no stylistic concessions to its neighbours, no matter how exquisite they may be. That includes the Turn Of The Century Lighting building, directly north. This is a frankly contemporary building that exemplifies the contemporary desire to have not just superb views but total transparency.

Sitting on a narrow site, the building addresses Richmond; on Sherbourne it is little more than a sliver. Though the material palette – glass and steel – couldn't be more different from the mostly masonry buildings on every side, the size and scale seem appropriate in this context. Unadorned and rigidly geometric, the condo becomes a foil for both its neighbours and the city.

GRADE: A

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Email condocritic@thestar.ca.

depends on the number of levels of underground parking. if it's multiple levels, the area is more than laypeople would think. easy way to figure out is to go to a parking lot and do a donut. that's the min. area for access.

A layperson doing a donut in a Smart Car is going to find that they can fit a lot more Smart Cars into an underground garage than I can my Hummer.

From an agent attached to the project.

Hi Everyone:

The work at 294 Richmond East does continue. As someone else rightly pointed out in response to the article this weekend, this building is not The Modern – in fact it’s not even a condo. It is a relatively small in-fill project that includes two small retail units on the ground floor, office space on the 2nd floor and rental apartments above. The 2nd Floor is leased and the new Tenant is commencing their leasehold improvements (finishes) in the next week or so. I believe they have been awaiting their city permit. The retail space has gotten quite a lot of interest from various typical small “chain†stores but the owners are particular about the type of tenant they choose. They would like to lease to a retailer who adds to the quality of the building rather than a sub shop or something. Finally, the finishes for the apartments above have been chosen and work will commence shortly (in fact I believe it started in the last week). The units should be available for occupancy by April/May. They are very appealing two-storey units ranging in size from 800 – 1150 sq.ft. Some have access to roof top decks. My company is beginning to market them now. Since this is not a condo building there has not been the usual rush to completion but the building should be complete and occupied by the summer.

If anyone has more specific questions please feel free to contact me directly.

Huh - so this the successor to the 2 or 3 floor retail strip buildings that line so many of Toronto's arterials. What a beauty it is too! Let's hope this place does well enough that TLS are soon ordering up lots of new &Co. buildings to replace some of the sorrier examples of Toronto's main street architecture.

Today
3297803909_339e283001_b.jpg

Out of curiosity, do you by any chance know how large of a site you need to be able to build underground parking into a building?

Sorry, I don't know, there are some sites with freakishly small underground parking, the condo at the N/E corner of Bay and College, and 22 Wellesley comes to mind.

Its a good idea this building doesn't have underground parking that's for sure!

Back