News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 986     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brad is a Tory loyalist, all the while it’s a challenge for me to think what Tory might have done to ease our gridlock. Even the King transit way has been abandoned. Brad is farcical.
Where to start...

1. Look seriously at how road construction is done and approved in Toronto. Many projects (e.g. KQR and Wellington) take FAR longer than planned and are extremely poorly 'managed'. The City bureaucracy is organised in silos who appear never to communicate.
2. Think ahead. The City knew that Queen would need to be closed at Yonge for the Ontario line but then did not speed up the new watermain work on Adelaide and clearly paid no attention to the fact that it (and the subsequent streetcar track work) were running late. No wonder it will take 2 years to open up the preferred streetcar diversion!
3. Road space is limited, on-street parking needs to be more strongly controlled and public transit improved (not reduced).
4, Utilities need to be STRONGLY discouraged from digging up recently paved streets and sidewalks (and then failing to repair their 'utility cuts' for years). Montreal offers utilities a window to do their work on/below a street prior to City work with lower fees; work done after is much more expensive. Toronto has 'moratoriums" - which are clearly never enforced.
5. Sometimes 24/7 work is the best option.

Where to start...

3. Road space is limited, on-street parking needs to be more strongly controlled and public transit improved (not reduced).

Agreed.

For above-ground works, near homes, I'm loathe to go there for any length of time; but just adopting 'Centrecourt' work hours would do wonders; 12-hours per day, 6 days per week.

Don't think the new Forum poll was posted yet.

1685453001859.png

1685453058614.png

Attachments

• 1685453028428.png
    1685453028428.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 1685453117039.png
    1685453117039.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 20
Assuming Chow wins and finishes Tory's term, is there any chance she would not have the power of incumbency to win a full term?
I think there's a real chance she loses her re-election bid, especially if the centre and right unite around one candidate, a la Ken Sim in Vancouver or Mark Sutcliffe in Ottawa.

Don't think the new Forum poll was posted yet.

View attachment 481511

View attachment 481513

How is Matlow polling at 1% in Etobicoke??

Where to start...

1. Look seriously at how road construction is done and approved in Toronto. Many projects (e.g. KQR and Wellington) take FAR longer than planned and are extremely poorly 'managed'. The City bureaucracy is organised in silos who appear never to communicate.
2. Think ahead. The City knew that Queen would need to be closed at Yonge for the Ontario line but then did not speed up the new watermain work on Adelaide and clearly paid no attention to the fact that it (and the subsequent streetcar track work) were running late. No wonder it will take 2 years to open up the preferred streetcar diversion!
4, Utilities need to be STRONGLY discouraged from digging up recently paved streets and sidewalks (and then failing to repair their 'utility cuts' for years). Montreal offers utilities a window to do their work on/below a street prior to City work with lower fees; work done after is much more expensive. Toronto has 'moratoriums" - which are clearly never enforced.
^ all very valid complaints, and they’ve been valid for years. The fact that recent administrations have not addressed these issues is very telling. Who’s been looking out for the public? Certainly not the two recent mayors.

I can’t see any reason to elect a Tory loyalist.

Assuming Chow wins and finishes Tory's term, is there any chance she would not have the power of incumbency to win a full term?
Of course there's a chance. If she screws up in the next 3 years, if a very strong alternative appears etc etc. Being Mayor does give one certain advantages, mainly name recognition but that can be a two-edged sword!

It boggles my mind this video came from a guy who was TTC commissioner.

What's that Brad? Sorry, I couldn't hear you over all the pandering and opportunism.

Drab Drabford.

Honestly I thought that's a requirement for Tory's TTC appointees. The more synophant, useless they are, the more likely you will get on it.

AoD

I think there's a real chance she loses her re-election bid, especially if the centre and right unite around one candidate, a la Ken Sim in Vancouver or Mark Sutcliffe in Ottawa.
In this political climate I think the chances of the right uniting around anyone are pretty low. Too much of a platform is being given to the far right, which ostensibly seems to be full of grifters and opportunists. It's probably why we have 102 candidates that include the likes of Anthony Furey, Giorgio Mammoliti, and Chris Sky.

The right barely voted for Tory in 2014. It was centrists who voted him into power, and I think it's centrists handing Chow the seat.

In this political climate I think the chances of the right uniting around anyone are pretty low. Too much of a platform is being given to the far right, which ostensibly seems to be full of grifters and opportunists. It's probably why we have 102 candidates that include the likes of Anthony Furey, Giorgio Mammoliti, and Chris Sky.

The right barely voted for Tory in 2014. It was centrists who voted him into power, and I think it's centrists handing Chow the seat.

I actually passed a Chris Sky rally on the weekend. It was on BIrchmount just north of Lawrence on Saturday.

Small gathering but every freedom loving, anti-vax yahoo was out there supporting him.

Though honestly the current round of election is a bit of a Trojan Horse - considering the fiscal crunch the city is in. I would have preferred to see Tories and their allies sleep in the bed they have made - rather than be the sacrificial lamb for them.

AoD

Back