News   Mar 28, 2024
 964     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 543     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 837     0 

2022 election - who is running for mayor?

Where are these numbers coming from? Personally I prefer standardized experiences over the hodgepodge mess "mom and pop" evokes.

We absolutely disagree. That sounds so dull to me.

I want stores that sell different products, restaurants that have different menus, retailers of all types that have unique interiors/exteriors/signage/service etc.

I find the ubiquity of McDs (insert as many other chains as one wishes here) to be offensive.

I want a different experience in North Bay than Barrie, than Toronto, than Montreal, than New York than Paris.

The thought of the same, endless, repetitive would be monopolies setting up shop everywhere is just so entirely unappealing.

Its not just consumer taste; its also a desire for genuine competition, for innovation, for labour mobility......for room for entrepreneurship etc.

Last edited:
We absolutely disagree. That sounds so dull to me.

I want stores that sell different products, restaurants that have different menus, retailers of all types that have unique interiors/exteriors/signage/service etc.

I find the ubiquity of McDs (insert as many other chains as one wishes here) to be offensive.

I want a different experience in North Bay than Barrie, than Toronto, than Montreal, than New York than Paris.

The thought of the same, endless, repetitive would be monopolies setting up shop everywhere is just so entirely unappealing.

Its not just consumer taste; its also a desire for genuine competition, for innovation, for labour mobility......for room for entrepreneurship etc.
Also, the fact that large chains are universal in being some of the worst jobs, both in pay and in working conditions.

Gil Penalosa is really starting to impress with his policy planks.

Not because they're world-beatingly amazing, but because they are potentially impactful, mostly for very small sums, this one is his latest:

1662132729323.png

1662132750812.png

Come on media, give my man Gil the spotlight.

Write to the reporters who cover City Hall for The Star, The Globe, CBC, CTV, City and Global. Most have public (work) email addresses; and/or you can tweet at them.

Gil Penalosa releases a transit plan for BRTs across the city.

Has its own thread:

@AlexBozikovic has a new column out today (yes, he's been busy lately)......

This one opines favourably on Mayor candidate Gil Penalosa, discussing some of his platform planks and observations.

Though it concludes with a certain resignation that Mr. Penalosa is unlikely to win the mayoralty. Its a good column, about a good candidate and person, trying to make a positive difference.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/art...e-mayoral-candidate-gil-penalosas-vision-for/ (behind the paywall at time of posting)

Reactions: PL1
@AlexBozikovic has a new column out today (yes, he's been busy lately)......

This one opines favourably on Mayor candidate Gil Penalosa, discussing some of his platform planks and observations.

Though it concludes with a certain resignation that Mr. Penalosa is unlikely to win the mayoralty. Its a good column, about a good candidate and person, trying to make a positive difference.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/art...e-mayoral-candidate-gil-penalosas-vision-for/ (behind the paywall at time of posting)
Just read Gil's platform and it's really good with a few exceptions. It appears that he's ok with encampments in parks so I would expect if he were elected he'd be a one term mayor after our parks stop being usable for a few years.

Just read Gil's platform and it's really good with a few exceptions. It appears that he's ok with encampments in parks so I would expect if he were elected he'd be a one term mayor after our parks stop being usable for a few years.

What I see in Gil's platform is that he is against the way Toronto tried to remove park encampents and he plans both to create more long term housing and to improve the shelter system within the first 100 days to get people out of the parks. Since we still have people living in tents in parks today after Tory's attempts to clear encampments I don't know why you think it would be worse under Peñalosa. I am encouraged by his addressing short and long term progress.

“As Mayor, I will work tirelessly to ensure that everyone has an affordable home of their own, but until that goal is reached there will be a need for transitional shelter space that ensures people can live with dignity,” said Penalosa. “No one’s first choice is to live in a tent. For too long, unhoused Torontonians have told the City that they are not accepting offers to move inside because they don’t feel safe in shelters. Shelter residents have a right to determine what is safe for them. It’s past time to listen and then act to ensure shelters are safe and offer needed supports.”

Back