News   Aug 09, 2024
 749     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.4K     2 

2019 Ontario Liberal Leadership Race / Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

1591286616724.png

Honestly I dont know what's worse, having Doug Ford stay on as premier or having Del Duca be his successor. The thought of both make me shutter.

To think the Liberals had several other candidates, arguably all better than Del Duca.

3 were visible minority (Hunter, Coteau and Tedjo), 3 were women (Hunter, Graham, Hollingsworth)

The Libs not only managed to choose the only white male in the race; they also, more than likely, chose the worst candidate.

I happen to think any qualified, thoughtful, electable candidate, irrespective of their demographics would be fine.

But I felt the need to observe the demographics in light of everything going on...........

I think the result of this race is arguably a product of systemic discrimination in favouring the candidate w/the most connections and money over those more qualified for the job.

IMO, a poll is as good as the day it's taken on.

The Liberals are still very much out-of-sight and under the radar, and people still likely have the 'generic ideal Liberal leader' in mind over Del Duca (who's barely in the news).

Still expecting Conservatives to shed some seats in the next election especially in the suburbs, but I wouldn't doubt that they have a real chance of staying in power once the campaigning starts.

Last edited:
Depends Doug Ford is rather popular again in the 905 but the liberals would have to really put the NDP out of commission to steal a ton of seats.

1595366400762.png

Hmmmm

I realize a pandemic is about us and makes the typical nomination process more problematic.

But 'urgent'??

We have almost 2 years to the next provincial election.

That seems like ample time to find a democratic way to nominate the majority of candidates (its not like leaders haven't always had the ability to thumb the scale for star candidates)

It probably gives him another opportunity to do some kind of photo-op. He must be going through photo-op withdrawl right now and is absolutely craving and beging for the chance to get at one. This guy is a joke.

To think the Liberals had several other candidates, arguably all better than Del Duca.

3 were visible minority (Hunter, Coteau and Tedjo), 3 were women (Hunter, Graham, Hollingsworth)

The Libs not only managed to choose the only white male in the race; they also, more than likely, chose the worst candidate.

I happen to think any qualified, thoughtful, electable candidate, irrespective of their demographics would be fine.

But I felt the need to observe the demographics in light of everything going on...........

I think the result of this race is arguably a product of systemic discrimination in favouring the candidate w/the most connections and money over those more qualified for the job.

But Steve Paikin thought he was really diverse.

" But in the 163-year history of the party — that’s right, it predates Confederation — there’s never been a leader with a last name like Del Duca."

Honestly I dont know what's worse, having Doug Ford stay on as premier or having Del Duca be his successor. The thought of both make me shutter.

You know the feeling when you step in dog shit and then, as a reflex, you jump over and end up in another pile?

Yeah.......welcome to Ontario.

I must have been high af for the last few months but are you guys telling me that Del Duca is the man for the job?

So, then I must ask you....what's the point? (I already forgot that NDP lady's name, universe bless her soul).

I must have been high af for the last few months but are you guys telling me that Del Duca is the man for the job?

So, then I must ask you....what's the point? (I already forgot that NDP lady's name, universe bless her soul).

No, I don't recall anybody on this forum saying Del Duca is the man for the job. If anything, there's been unanimous scorn for him.

No, I don't recall anybody on this forum saying Del Duca is the man for the job. If anything, there's been unanimous scorn for him.

You misunderstood my meaning.

Are you guys telling me that these fools actually chose this chump as their leader, is what I meant by that.

Obviously none of you think he's the man for the job, because you're not stupid.

Recently, political parties lately have been accustomed to electing the worst candidate anytime they are selecting a leader. Prior to this the Libs selected Wynne over Pupatello, while Cons selected Ford over Elliott.

So we should give thanks to the party faithful who keep electing the most useless candidate each and every time. The public then puts the cherry on top by voting for the most useless of the pre-determined useless crop of leaders. It's pretty much a cycle that no one seems to want to end from the political side and public side.

You misunderstood my meaning.

Are you guys telling me that these fools actually chose this chump as their leader, is what I meant by that.

Obviously none of you think he's the man for the job, because you're not stupid.

I think Del Duca had all the money by comparison to the rest; and the attendant organization too.

So he sold the most memberships; and voila!

This is one of the things about leadership races that while out in the open is rarely discussed.

Winning is NOT about persuading the existing members of the party to vote for you; its about how many 'instant' new members you can create to vote for you.

That's not to suggest fixing that alone would lead to better candidates or outcomes; but it would sure be a good place to start!

Last edited:
Recently, political parties lately have been accustomed to electing the worst candidate anytime they are selecting a leader. Prior to this the Libs selected Wynne over Pupatello, while Cons selected Ford over Elliott.

So we should give thanks to the party faithful who keep electing the most useless candidate each and every time. The public then puts the cherry on top by voting for the most useless of the pre-determined useless crop of leaders. It's pretty much a cycle that no one seems to want to end from the political side and public side.

Hands down agree on Elliot vs Ford.

More iffy on Pupatello vs Wynne.............was never a fan of Sandra's; always struck me as very right-leaning, business-minded and not overly empathetic.

Wynne is an interesting tail; because based on her promises and the way people broadly felt about her; I think she was probably the better candidate.

She utterly fumbled her first 3 years in office though, failing to deliver on her key promises, not delivering a balanced budget either, not putting some scandals to bed; and allowing another to arise via the Sudbury by-election.

Then, I think her policies improved enormously, albeit belatedly with OHIP Plus/Youth Pharmacare, the rise in minimum wage (done awkwardly, probably a bit too quick, but right policy); the low-income student grants etc.

Excepting the hydro debacle, she had a decent couple of years.

But she also muffed things in not walking away; when it became clear that the public weren't buying the 'new' Wynne and that she was dragging the party down.

Certainly, it could have been a much better run of 5 years and change; but I'm not sure Pupatello would have delivered better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back