News   Jul 15, 2024
 102     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

Hopefully the Liberals will stop blatant electioneering in every news release and press conference paid for by taxpayers.
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-...complaint-about-wynne-announcements-1.3897108

Will they have to pay back all this money for electioneering at all these transit announcements?

And in other news the Liberals had to apologize (again and again). (1) for crude language and (2) for a paternalistic misquote about the Black community
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/liberal-...nguage-to-describe-ford-in-a-debate-1.3895528
https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/986406990145576960

They have gone below the belt far earlier than I thought. Desperate times! And the same people say that Doug Ford is crude.

Now will the Toronto Star also apologize? (especially since one of their sister websites was the one to dig around and identify this error)

I sort of feel like I'm watching the nightmare of Ford being elected in slow motion.

Its feels like all the arrogance and entitlement of the Liberals being in power for the past 15 years has truly gone to their heads.

Like say not subsidizing hydro rates to help win elections?
I believe all 3 parties have now put forth positions to keep hydro rates low, that all require subsidies.

I agree with not subsidizing - but I'm not seeing much difference between the main 3 parties on that issue.

I believe all 3 parties have now put forth positions to keep hydro rates low, that all require subsidies.

I agree with not subsidizing - but I'm not seeing much difference between the main 3 parties on that issue.

I'm sure that is correct, but to be fair to the PCs, their policy is at least consistant with there view on the issue, unlike the Liberals who have gone out of their way to both pay too much for power while selling it for too little while claiming to be for the environment. Good riddance to them.

Cross posted from the GO Service thread.

Article from today.

NIAGARA REGIONAL REPS DISCUSS GO TRAINS WITH POLICY STAFF FROM FORD'S OFFICE

11:18 AM

Niagara's Regional Chair says staff from Doug Ford's office maintain the Ontario PC leader is fully committed to bringing Go Transit to Niagara if he is elected in June.

When Ford made a visit to Niagara a few weeks ago, he made waves when he said he would need to 'review' the plan.

Chair Alan Caslin says Niagara Region representatives met with senior policy staff from Ford's office yesterday and walked them through the Niagara Go Business case.

In a release, Caslin says following the discussion Ford's representatives confirmed he his fully committed to bringing Go Transit to Niagara.

Reactions: rbt
This is what I have been saying for a while and why transit advocates need to relax and not create this dooms day scenario for transit under a Ford administration.

So far all Ford has done is proclaim all the taxes he is going to cut which is the easy part. The hard part, as he is quickly finding out, is how he will balance the books without cutting service or reducing expansion and yet having to deal with local cities and the MPs they represent. Sorry Ford but no politician, of any strip, will be willing to forfeit their seat to ensure a Ford victory. Now multiply this by 10 as he has to go to Miss, Brampton, Hamilton, and Ottawa and tell potential voters and local Tory candidates that they will not be getting their new or extended LRTs as promised nor will London get it`s BRT, people in the 416 suburbs can no longer look forward to RER and Wynne`s promised TTC fares within the city for RER, and even Scarberians can say goodbye to the STC subway and Eglinton East LRT. All of these is to say nothing of the formidable and still politically powerful Tory who still holds a lot of sway in provincial Conservative insiders. He also doesn`t need to pick a fight with other big city mayors in places like Ott/Lon/Ham/KW/Nia/Miss/Bramp where he desperately needs to pick up key swing seats.

The political fallout from potential voters and their local Conservative candidates will be horrific while he has to also live up to his balanced books commitments.............the math doesn`t work.

So far all Ford has done is proclaim all the taxes he is going to cut which is the easy part. The hard part, as he is quickly finding out, is how he will balance the books without cutting service or reducing expansion and yet having to deal with local cities and the MPs they represent.

We know how they did that while in control of Toronto's budget. Deferrals of investment, reduction of service (including TTC service), while simultaneously promising the world without committing to dates or raising fully funding those commitments.

You'll recall the Scarborough is important message coupled with deferring the bus maintenance facility, bus purchase program, and reduction of route hours in Scarborough. The Ford's are pretty good at saying one thing and doing something different.

While this is a promising statement on one of Metrolinx's cheapest projects (seriously, this is a petty cash project), I'd still like to hear a commitment to the current schedule.

A Doug win is probably the best thing for my finances; but I still think it'll be hard on the medium-term future for the province.

Last edited:
I think with oil prices creeping up we are going to see the general sentiment on carbon taxes shifting to Ford’s position. The Liberal’s smartly and or fortunately introduced additional carbon costs at a time when oil prices were low. We could see gas prices at the pump reaching really high levels historically again.

As I mentioned in another thread we also need to get away from the idea that “you can just buy a smaller car” will play well as a general sentiment. While a slow reduction in reliance on fossil fuels over time will be accepted by society in general people will not accept a rapid pace of change. Many people and businesses (as well as our economy in general even here in Toronto) are nearly entirely dependent on the status quo of pricing to function. The people who can adapt are the people with money, not the average person. Our service and good supply chains are entirely dependent on fossil fuels. Commuter vehicle use is an issue but not of primary significance.

Cancelling a project in your own city with no political affiliations required and your own re-election is guaranteed is a breeze compared to cancelling projects province wide in a very diverse province which where you desperately need those seats and have to appease the local Conservative candidates is quite another.

This is what I have been saying for a while and why transit advocates need to relax and not create this dooms day scenario for transit under a Ford administration.

So far all Ford has done is proclaim all the taxes he is going to cut which is the easy part. The hard part, as he is quickly finding out, is how he will balance the books without cutting service or reducing expansion and yet having to deal with local cities and the MPs they represent. Sorry Ford but no politician, of any strip, will be willing to forfeit their seat to ensure a Ford victory. Now multiply this by 10 as he has to go to Miss, Brampton, Hamilton, and Ottawa and tell potential voters and local Tory candidates that they will not be getting their new or extended LRTs as promised nor will London get it`s BRT, people in the 416 suburbs can no longer look forward to RER and Wynne`s promised TTC fares within the city for RER, and even Scarberians can say goodbye to the STC subway and Eglinton East LRT. All of these is to say nothing of the formidable and still politically powerful Tory who still holds a lot of sway in provincial Conservative insiders. He also doesn`t need to pick a fight with other big city mayors in places like Ott/Lon/Ham/KW/Nia/Miss/Bramp where he desperately needs to pick up key swing seats.

The political fallout from potential voters and their local Conservative candidates will be horrific while he has to also live up to his balanced books commitments.............the math doesn`t work.
Essentially, Ford just has to campaign that the books are completely cooked and he can't promise anything until he gets an independent review done. He can talk general platitudes that how its preferable to have someone who will do the right thing compared to a proven corrupt party.

Essentially, Ford just has to campaign that the books are completely cooked and he can't promise anything until he gets an independent review done. He can talk general platitudes that how its preferable to have someone who will do the right thing compared to a proven corrupt party.

Yet it is apparently sufficiently known for a 1% cut in corporate taxes?

AoD

Last edited:

Back