News   Jul 15, 2024
 253     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 400     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

2018 Provincial Election Transit Promises

How does that work?

How would having the surface portion ready earlier accelerate Yonge station construction? Yonge/Eglinton station is the critical path. Or do you believe crews will be taken off Yonge station in order to build the surface bits and building the surface bits earlier would have allowed multiple crews to be used?

Tunnelling out from Yonge would have shortened the timeline a bit but also would have added a ton of logistics challenges.
Y/E is on the critical path. That is why the 2014 election was so critical. If the Liberals were defeated, the Eglinton line could have been grade-separated to Scarborough - or at least to Don Mills. That would have saved the SSE spending, and also been more conducive to a DRL long.

At this point, the greater risk is another delay in the construction start.

If the contract is awarded before the elections, then it might even survive a Ford's victory. It would be relatively easy for Ford to say something like, this project is not my choice but I can't kill it now because too much money have already been spent or committed.

The delay in the completion date, while annoying, isn't really critical.

However if the contract signing is delayed to until after the elections, then nothing is guaranteed. Metrolinx needs to act fast.

You’re 100% correct. The article says the contract should be signed in the upcoming weeks, so we should be safe.

You’re 100% correct. The article says the contract should be signed in the upcoming weeks, so we should be safe.
I don't think they can sign anything in the writ period - so there is only two weeks.

Remember when Mulroney signed the EH101 helicopter deal in 1990 (3 years before election) and Media and Liberals said is was too much a last minute deal that they would cancel. Sure enough, they cancelled and paid huge cancellation costs.

I don't think they can sign anything in the writ period - so there is only two weeks.

Remember when Mulroney signed the EH101 helicopter deal in 1990 (3 years before election) and Media and Liberals said is was too much a last minute deal that they would cancel. Sure enough, they cancelled and paid huge cancellation costs.

Well it’s in the interest of both Netrolinx and the contractor to get this signed as soon as possible, so I’ll remain cautiously optimistic.

It’s unforgivable that the contract still has not been signed. The mismanagement of this project has been stunning. This should have been done years ago.

Well it’s in the interest of both Netrolinx and the contractor to get this signed as soon as possible, so I’ll remain cautiously optimistic.

It’s unforgivable that the contract still has not been signed. The mismanagement of this project has been stunning. This should have been done years ago.
You don't suspect that stunning mismanagement may have created a contract that has enough flaws in it that it shouldn't be signed?
I generally want contracts developed and signed by good management.

You don't suspect that stunning mismanagement may have created a contract that has enough flaws in it that it shouldn't be signed?

I don’t know. Maybe. I have zero confidence in Metrolinx’s project delivery abilities at this point.

In my observations, Metrolinx has proven itself competent in the technical details of projects it oversees, but horribly slow in signing and executing those projects. Thus, "stunning mismanagement" applies to signing and executing, not to the eventual outcome.

Eglinton Subway.

Eglinton Subway.
Was it signed in Writ period, or are you saying it was cancelled?

I recall the cancellation was ~$50M vs. $500M for the Helicopters.

As I recall farther, people gave Harris a pass as well because it was viewed as the previous government leaving a huge financial commitment to the successor. It also occurred during dropping TTC ridership, and low gas prices. It wasn't until a decade later that people regretted the decision. Then when Miller and Liberals decided to build an LRT instead of Subway - Harris was hailed as a hero for not starting a short subway that would tie the entire line to be subway. :)

Was it signed in Writ period, or are you saying it was cancelled? [...]As I recall farther, people gave Harris a pass as well because it was viewed as the previous government leaving a huge financial commitment to the successor. It also occurred during dropping TTC ridership, and low gas prices. It wasn't until a decade later that people regretted the decision. Then when Miller and Liberals decided to build an LRT instead of Subway - Harris was hailed as a hero for not starting a short subway that would tie the entire line to be subway. :)
When the NDP Government of Bob Rae pushed to get subways under construction, they took care that the projects to be started were balanced evenly between the political players in and around Metro. For North York and Southern York Region, they put forward the Sheppard Subway and the York University extension. For Scarborough, they pushed an extension of the Scarborough RT. For York, Etobicoke and Peel, they pushed the Eglinton Subway. Thus they could show that rapid transit funds were being spent evenly between the different areas within Metro, and nobody went away unhappy. The fact that the truncated versions of the Sheppard and Eglinton Subway together provided less benefit than, say, a single complete Sheppard or Eglinton line, didn't enter into consideration.

The discussion turned out to be purely academic. Despite getting shovels into the ground on the Eglinton West subway, the project was cancelled soon after the Conservative government took power in June 1995. The cavern that was excavated for a future Allen Station was filled in, creating another unfinished subway station akin to the roughed-in Lower Queen.
https://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5112.shtml

I'm not here to discuss helicopters, ice breakers, Davie Shipyards, or dangling gerunds. The point is that Ford *can* cancel any project underway, if he and his cohorts are elected in a majority.

Doug Ford pro-automobile and climate change denier stances revealed. See link. :mad:

Doug Ford Will Fight a Carbon Tax and Scrap Kathleen Wynne’s ‘Cap and Trade’ Slush Fund

Doug Ford today visited a local gas station to announce that as Premier he will both scrap Kathleen Wynne’s cap and trade slush fund and fight Justin Trudeau’s plan to impose a carbon tax on Ontario.

“There is a whole industry of special interests and lobbyists coming up with new names, and schemes to try to fool people into paying this new tax,” said Ford. “But the people will not be fooled, they see right through the carbon tax. They know it is just another Liberal scheme to put the government’s hand in your pocket.”
Ford drew attention to the price of gas in British Columbia which was the first Canadian Province to introduce a carbon tax. In the ensuing years, the carbon tax along with a series of other taxes and levies have increased the price of gas in Vancouver to over $1.50 per litre.

“In BC it’s now open season on drivers and Kathleen Wynne wants to follow suit,” said Ford. “If you need to drive a car to get to work, to school or to pick up your kids from daycare, Kathleen Wynne will have her hand in your pocket every time you fill up your car.”

By eliminating Kathleen Wynne’s cap and trade slush fund, an Ontario PC Government will reduce gas prices by 4.3 cents per litre at the pump. Ford also announced that an Ontario PC Government will use every tool at its disposal, including going to the Supreme Court, to stop the Justin Trudeau Liberals from imposing a federal carbon tax on Ontario families.

“I guarantee you that the only thing we’re going to cap is taxes and the only thing we’re going to trade is Kathleen Wynne,” said Ford. “We’re going to scrap the carbon tax. We’re going to put more money in your pocket. Change is coming. And help is on the way.”

How about buying a Prius, Bolt, Tesla. Pacifica instead of an Escalade. The gas is expensive and I drive a Fiat but people tend to lease or get rid of cars within 10 years. Next time buy hybrid or EV. Electing Doug isn't going to solve your gas issues.

Hopefully the Liberals will stop blatant electioneering in every news release and press conference paid for by taxpayers.
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-...complaint-about-wynne-announcements-1.3897108

Will they have to pay back all this money for electioneering at all these transit announcements?

And in other news the Liberals had to apologize (again and again). (1) for crude language and (2) for a paternalistic misquote about the Black community
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/liberal-...nguage-to-describe-ford-in-a-debate-1.3895528
https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/986406990145576960

They have gone below the belt far earlier than I thought. Desperate times! And the same people say that Doug Ford is crude.

Now will the Toronto Star also apologize? (especially since one of their sister websites was the one to dig around and identify this error)

Back