News   May 08, 2024
 54     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 339     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 688     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Interesting:...
You're at centre, it is...or at least *was* a pretty wide field in Ontario politics in generations past. Federally too in retrospect...and being a 'Centrist' is becoming less popular in polarized politics.

But here's the point: Like sexual offences...are political malfeasance occurring more often nowadays...or just being *reported* more often? None of the three major Ont parties are clean, not even approaching it. Is this business as usual, or has something gone rotten that can't be fixed?

Last edited:
Excellent posts! We're not only now discussing Wynne, or competition, we're discussing the factors in a context that they should be. I've still to do my research on this subject, but this is a very fair point:
Yes, albeit there may be points to buffer that, but here's the really big if:

Electric cars. When even the Financial Times runs serial front-page specials, not only on alternative energy now beating hydro on price in aggregate (provisos apply), but the change in the nature of demand, we're still faced with the *multiple higher demand* to recharge electric cars domestically. This is a case of 'when', not 'if'. There are ways to mitigate the loading (night-time, for instance, and local storage)

Don't know if anyone saw Gore on The National last night, the interview, but even he has kicked forward his prognosis. Is the Ontario electorate ready for this discussion? Sadly, I think not.

And neither are 'the leaders'. That much more credit to the quality of the posts here lately.

Take the ridiculous subsidies (both from the companies and the consumer) away, and this happens:

1. Very few are sold (see: Hong Kong ... usually a leader in these things).

Also, the average person sees a story from the fawning MSM how Tesla is the most valuable car company in the U.S., and they go, "HOW?"

Tesla has never made a profit.

Glenn Murry just resigned.

Looks like he's trying to leave a sinking ship early.

Actually ... with less than a year to go 'til the next provincial election, he's kinda left it a wee bit later than his party probably preferred ... especially for such a high-profile guy.

Glad he's leaving.

Shameless and self-serving opportunist.

Left for the Pembina Institute - a respectable NGO, where he'll likely make a fair bit more money than his cabinet post. What annoys me is the timing though: too late to require a by-election -- I would understand, though, if he simply announced that the wouldn't run in the 2018 election. It doesn't respect the good people of Toronto Centre.

Take the ridiculous subsidies (both from the companies and the consumer) away, and this happens:

1. Very few are sold (see: Hong Kong ... usually a leader in these things).
lol...it might help your case if you actually read the links provided. Subsidies are not needed for electric, or for oil, which is subsidized.

Fortune magazine, that bastion of lefty, Communist diktat:
Tesla believers will likely view Volvo's declaration that every new car made in 2019 and beyond will have an electric motor as a validation of CEO Elon Musk's vision of a future of sustainable, electric transportation, Barclays auto analyst Brian A. Johnson wrote in a research note Wednesday.

Johnson takes a different, and darker, view, saying it provides more evidence (especially after a recent visit to China) that "Tesla will face intense competition by next decade" from legacy automakers who are expanding their electric options.

Johnson makes three points that he describes as "reality checks" on Tesla's valuation. His main points:

1. While Tesla might have a lead in battery costs, at least outside of China, other scale advantages of legacy automakers likely means the cost-per-vehicle advantage will not be meaningful. (Johnson did admit that Tesla is well ahead on key tech components such as software, Big Data, and the ability to improve performance and fix bugs via "over-the-air" software updates.)
  2. Tesla faces competition not just from pure all-electrics, but from hybrids. Johnson notes that nearly every major automakers is planning to roll out 48-volt hybrids and many may offer plug-in hybrids.
  3. China's competitive environment is "stacked against Tesla" even though regulatory pressures there makes it a prime market for electric and plug-in electric vehicles. His argument: plug-in hybrids and low-end EVs are "vastly more popular" than Tesla, local regulations favors local companies, a flood of cheap Chinese batteries will negate any advantages from the multi-billion battery factory Tesla is building near Reno, Nev.
Of course, Musk's reaction to all of this will likely follow previous comments about automakers deciding to produce electric vehicles: the more, the merrier.
http://fortune.com/2017/07/05/volvo-electric-car-goal/

From the Financial Times: (Just the last few days, the FT and other preeminent business press have been featuring articles like these, for *real* investors and capitalists, not reactionary right wing ranters)

Last edited:
lol...it might help your case if you actually read the links provided. Subsidies are not needed for electric, or for oil, which is subsidized.

From the Financial Times: (Just the last few days, the FT and other preeminent business press have been featuring articles like these, for *real* investors and capitalists, not reactionary right wing ranters)

What makes you think I don't read the FT?

By the way, those *real* investors and capitalists created the Great Recession.

GTFO with your condescending ... fanboy bullshit.

Look, Ma ... I can do it, too!

http://www.businessinsider.com/hong-kong-shows-how-tax-rebates-drive-tesla-sales-2017-7

And:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/electric-cars-oil-price-2017-7

(Make sure you read the part where it shows how much of a tax break/my money is going to Upper Middle Class Cathy and her 3rd car, or Swan Boat Steve and his comfy retirement present.)

And, finally:

http://www.businessinsider.com/hong-kong-shows-how-tax-rebates-drive-tesla-sales-2017-7

(Note: I don't mind electric cars, it's just ... listening to people rave about them is like reading a fawning tech "journalist" getting an orgasm over the latest Apple product. If they were affordable and PRACTICAL, than fine. 'Til then? Cut the shit. It'll always be a niche product largely for annoying white folks like you.)

What makes you think I don't read the FT?

By the way, those *real* investors and capitalists created the Great Recession.

GTFO with your condescending ... fanboy bullshit.
Yeah...speaking of right wing reactionaries. You nailed it Bob. You speak highly of yourself. Trumped again.

Meantime, for JJ: Still haven't had a chance to delve on the Ontario projected load needs for electric demand, and how electric cars will affect that, but just reading the NYTimes, and a trend is made clear:
The utilities also struggled with an energy landscape that had changed dramatically since the large reactors were proposed in 2007. Demand for electricity has plateaued nationwide as a result of major improvements in energy efficiency, weakening the case for massive new power plants. And a glut of cheap natural gas from the hydraulic fracturing boom has given states a low-cost energy alternative.

Continue reading the main story
Related Coverage

Facing those pressures, the two owners of the project, South Carolina Electric & Gas and Santee Cooper, announced they would halt construction rather than saddle customers with additional costs.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/31/...version=Full&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

Whatever the projected load demand for Ontario, it won't be provided by nuclear...

Yeah...speaking of right wing reactionaries. You nailed it Bob. You speak highly of yourself. Trumped again.

Meantime, for JJ: Still haven't had a chance to delve on the Ontario projected load needs for electric demand, and how electric cars will affect that, but just reading the NYTimes, and a trend is made clear:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/31/...version=Full&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

Whatever the projected load demand for Ontario, it won't be provided by nuclear...

WHAT is with the hate and what are you talking about?

I don't come here and call you names.

I'm a proud progressive/urban *conservative*.

I know that confuses and bothers the hell outta you, but that's the way it is.

You know nothing about me.

listening to people rave about them is like reading a fawning tech "journalist" getting an orgasm over the latest Apple product.
You know Bob, you have no idea of my race, the fact that I haven't owned a car in this jurisdiction for over forty years, I'm an avid cyclist, and I'm not Swan Boat Steve. And I've never owned a 'Smartphone' or an Apple device of any sort, and I'm a technologist. I just don't see the need.

Can't you get anything right save for goose-stepping and ranting?
From the article you link:

[Authorities in Hong Kong put an end to a tax credit for electric vehicles that vastly reduced the cost of Tesla’s cars on April 1, and in the subsequent months the automaker's sales in the territory dropped to zero, reports Business Insider Australia.]

That's Tesla, not electric cars in general. In fact the Fortune article I posted, if you'd only read, is about the *threat* to Tesla's presumed dominance.

[Johnson takes a different, and darker, view, saying it provides more evidence (especially after a recent visit to China) that "Tesla will face intense competition by next decade" from legacy automakers who are expanding their electric options.]

The FT referenced articles I linked are about EVs in general, not one is about Tesla.

But I digress...

Last edited:

It's easy to look smart with a lot of words and links to reputable publications.

You know Bob, you have no idea of my race, the fact that I haven't owned a car in this jurisdiction for over forty years, I'm an avid cyclist, and I'm not Swan Boat Steve.

Can't you get anything right save for goose-stepping and ranting?
From the article you link:
[Authorities in Hong Kong put an end to a tax credit for electric vehicles that vastly reduced the cost of Tesla’s cars on April 1, and in the subsequent months the automaker's sales in the territory dropped to zero, reports Business Insider Australia.]
That's Tesla, not electric cars in general. In fact the FT article I posted, if you'd only read, is about the *threat* to Tesla's presumed dominance.

But I digress...

Goose-stepping?

That is truly offensive. Just because I'm a conservative, that makes me a ... Nazi? Explain this one to me ...

Not white? Fine. I honestly could care less what colour you are.

I reckon most who drive them are white, though.

Currently, electric cars are primarily for folks who can afford to shop at places like Whole Foods and Williams Sonoma. Insular, privately hates the poor, and comically self-congratulatory.

And, MY POINT was ... ya take away the generous subsidies and tax breaks, *currently*, their business model ain't lookin' quite so hot ... Tesla or not. Elon Musk/Tesla is THE self-appointed saviour, so I will use them as the key ex.

Anyway, sounds eerie similar to the money and schemes behind renewable energy. A WHOLE industry largely created on the backs of other people's hand-outs.

I haven't owned a car in this jurisdiction for over forty years, I'm an avid cyclist, and I'm not Swan Boat Steve. And I've never owned a 'Smartphone' or an Apple device of any sort, and I'm a technologist. I just don't see the need.

To add to your resume, you spend a lot of time insulting people who disagree with you on UT (see below)

You might want to start here: (but maybe not, when you have two right feet, sensible shoes don't fit)

Uh huh. How many fingers? Maybe get someone to help you with the math..

The answer is...

(...The sound of crickets chirping...)

Yeah...speaking of right wing reactionaries.

You need to chill out :cool:

Last edited:

Back