News   Apr 19, 2024
 425     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 752     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 761     1 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I just don't get the visceral rage people have towards the Liberal Party and Wynne in particular.

People want the Liberal party to be held accountable for all the scandals and corruption. That still has not happened. Its nothing personal against Wynne. She just happens to be the face of the party.

Maybe the economy would be doing even better, or we'd have more money to spend on social programs if the Liberals didn't squander so much money.

So, the Liberals have great policies that are boosting the economy and helping millions of the most in need people--not to mention building infrastructure that will benefit future generations (esp GO RER)--but, somehow, Ontario is heading in the wrong direction and Kathleen Wynne is the anti-Christ. I just don't get the visceral rage people have towards the Liberal Party and Wynne in particular. As far as I'm concerned she's the best premier we've had since Bill Davis.

Other than accountability for some mismanagement and unethical behaviour there is a problem with having interest payments escalate as that takes money away from programs and infrastructure. There's a fine line to walk in regards to deficit spending, whether or not the current government knows how to walk it is the question. I mean selling off a part of Hydro One was a bit of a short-sighted fiscal stop-gap that could be used as an example of how they don't know how to walk the line.

Robert Benzie
@robertbenzie

BREAKING: @OntarioPCParty provincial nomination committee is reviewing several questionable candidate nomination elections, the @TorontoStar has learned. Committee meets Friday to determine if any need to be overturned due to ballot-stuffing. #onpoli

Happy united PC fun land!

Mike Crawley‏Verified account@CBCQueensPark 8m8 minutes ago
Mike Crawley Retweeted Robert Benzie

I have a PC party source confirming this as well. Also, I’ve learned two of the nominations that are getting reviewed: Ottawa West-Nepean and Scarborough Centre. #onpoli #pcpo

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...mer-leader-patrick-browns-downtown-condo.html

The PC party stopped paying rent on Patrick Brown's condo.

Last edited:
People want the Liberal party to be held accountable for all the scandals and corruption. That still has not happened. Its nothing personal against Wynne. She just happens to be the face of the party.

Maybe the economy would be doing even better, or we'd have more money to spend on social programs if the Liberals didn't squander so much money.

The money that was supposedly squandered is a drop in the bucket of the provincial budget. As for the "corruption", if members of the government were corrupt, then I assume they would be prosecuted. This isn't a lawless society.

An election isn't just a performance evaluation. We need to know that the next government will have better policies. The Conservatives aren't very promising in that regard. As for the NDP, they are barely visible at the moment. I am guessing Horwath wants to see the budget before showing her hand for fear of being passed to the left yet again.

The money that was supposedly squandered is a drop in the bucket of the provincial budget. As for the "corruption", if members of the government were corrupt, then I assume they would be prosecuted. This isn't a lawless society.

You really shouldn't be so flippant about the waste of money. And it is hardly a drop in the bucket. If that's the best argument you can make in favour of the Liberals its lame as hell.

And your corruption argument is invalid. I guess the #metoo movement is also not real because charges haven't been laid in a lot of cases.

This is pretty funny considering the Orange news that came out yesterday.

So, acknowledging that one month is grossly premature for any evaluation, and that more detailed info would be useful, it appears the minimum wage hike did not cause an apocalypse.

While Ontario did shed part-time employment last month, it also gained full-time employment and saw a net reduction in unemployment from 5.6% to 5.5% in January.

The stats published, so far, don't show averaged hours worked, so I can't say if gains for some p/t workers weren't partially off-set by hours reduction.

But, I can offer this anecdote. Two major supermarkets near me both have 'hiring' signs up, which would seem inconsistent w/hours reductions.

Speaking of Minimum Wage, BC announced yesterday it will go to $15.20 an hour by June 1st, 2021.

That's a 3-year phase in.

This year's increase is to $12.65 per hour (an increase of $1.30)

I offer that as 'context' for that on-going discussion.

Speaking of Minimum Wage, BC announced yesterday it will go to $15.20 an hour by June 1st, 2021.

That's a 3-year phase in.

What will rents in Vancouver be like by then? Never mind Vancouver. 1 beds in Kelowna are going for 1200-1800 now. That seems like too little too late in terms of a pay rise, if you ask me. The three year phase in is wise, but it should maybe have kicked in 4 years ago.

The money that was supposedly squandered is a drop in the bucket of the provincial budget.

I don't think the relative amount of money squandered is the point here. It's the flippant and complete disregard for other people's hard-earned contributions to state revenue. It's the arrogance. The self-righteousness.

Reactions: jys
So, acknowledging that one month is grossly premature for any evaluation, and that more detailed info would be useful, it appears the minimum wage hike did not cause an apocalypse.

The story is going to be an overall loss in jobs. The worst in years.

Only self-interested and economically ignorant people thought it was going to be an economic disaster. Any business worth being called one was able to adapt without issue.

Back