News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 823     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Ok, they can latch on to whatever they want, but if it's not supported by fact then.....they may as well be latched on to a sinking ship of lies. Whether or not the idiot masses believe what they're told without thinking about it critically or doing the least bit of self-informing is another story.

The story in the media won't be as rosy as Northern Light is trying to portray it.

Responsible journalists will portray it as facts deem correct. Only sensationalist rags like CP24 and the Sun will try to spin it with all sorts of shocking anecdotes.

Responsible journalists will portray it as facts deem correct. Only sensationalist rags like CP24 and the Sun will try to spin it with all sorts of shocking anecdotes.

Even the CBC headline is 'Canada loses 88,000 jobs in January"

The largest declines were in Ontario and Quebec.

I do believe that things will eventually level off. But there has been a shock to the system.

I do believe that things will eventually level off. But there has been a shock to the system.

Can we tone down the hyperbole?

The Ontario unemployment rate is DOWN.

Moreover, Quebec which also some p/t job losses had no minimum wage hike.

Finally, Q1 is traditionally the time in which retailers do their annual layoffs as they shed seasonal Christmas hires and experience their low sales ebb of the year.

Considering the above, and that unemployment declined, I don't see any overly worrisome news.

Now more time is required to see a fuller picture.......

I'm not doing a rose-coloured glasses thing, I'm stating facts.

Can we tone down the hyperbole?

The Ontario unemployment rate is DOWN.

Moreover, Quebec which also some p/t job losses had no minimum wage hike.

Finally, Q1 is traditionally the time in which retailers do their annual layoffs as they shed seasonal Christmas hires and experience their low sales ebb of the year.

Considering the above, and that unemployment declined, I don't see any overly worrisome news.

Now more time is required to see a fuller picture.......

I'm not doing a rose-coloured glasses thing, I'm stating facts.

Just reposting this for effect.

That same article shows that there were 9000 full time job gains in Ontario in January, does not show that the loss in jobs was caused by the wage increase, and shows that the industries with the highest employment losses all pay above minimum wage :

• Educational services.
  • Finance, insurance, real estate, rental and leasing.
  • Professional, scientific and technical services.
  • Construction, as well as health care and social assistance.

Ok, to be fair, those are ridiculously ambiguous terms, and I suppose some workers in those fields may work for minimum, but the vast majority are surely quite a bit higher paid.

If anything, I'm waiting to see inflation numbers. That will be the real test of the wage hike's impact. I suspect it will be nominal.

Ok, they can latch on to whatever they want, but if it's not supported by fact then.....they may as well be latched on to a sinking ship of lies. Whether or not the idiot masses believe what they're told without thinking about it critically or doing the least bit of self-informing is another story.
Ford supporters / Trump supporters have never let facts stand in their way. They like slogans, i.e., "gravy train", "MAGA", "drain the swamp". Critical thinking isn't their strong suit.

Reactions: DSC
What the hell's going on with the PCs right now? It seems they blunder into some fresh new disaster (or three) with every passing week.

Bullcrap! This is the perception the average voter develops after ad nauseam unrelenting biased news coverage out to vilify the only party capable of dethroning the media darling Liberals. It's intentional to dissaude placing the Tories under consideration. Remember the Tories had a 20-point lead the day before the "scandal" broke. No one can blame the Tories for trying to iron out the kinks since it's been seemingly forever since the last time they were in power. They're rusty going up against the big red machine. Why are we holding them to these impossibly high standards when the Liberals' have been known for a while now yet excused?

Bias? From the little I watch of CP2Ford, they are giving very positive coverage of the PC leadership race. Now, they did mention the nomination scandal briefly, but it wasn't the top story.

Mike Crawley @CBCQueensPark
7m

BREAKING: Ontario PC officials have overturned the nominations of 2 candidates, in Scarborough Centre and Ottawa-West Nepean. New nomination meetings will be held. #onpoli #pcpo

BOOM!

Last edited:
Critical thinking isn't their strong suit.

I mentioned this before somewhere on these forums but my 2nd year Critical Thinking course at Carleton was the single most important course I took at any time in my schooling. It should be compulsory in high school...and two semesters long. I'm so glad I took it even though I had essentially dropped out of school by that time. It was the only class I completed in second year....spent the rest of my time reading about neurology, chemistry, and psychoactives (also learnt a lot!).

Back