News   Jul 12, 2024
 814     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 734     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 310     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Michael Thompson is in trouble:

"I recommend that City Council: • adopt a finding that Councillor Thompson contravened Article VIII (Improper Use of Influence) of the Code of Conduct; • direct that Councillor Thompson refrain from using his office to make further inquiries or advocate for matters at the request of or on behalf of Albert Gasparro or G Group; and, • reprimand Councillor Thompson."

See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-117213.pdf

Unfortunately I doubt any of this will affect his re-election chances.

John Filion is cleared:

"Following an investigation, I have uncovered no evidence to support a finding that Councillor Filion has any business or referral relationship with the named consultant. I am filing this report with City Council for two reasons. First, the anonymous letter that formed the basis of the Auditor's request raised serious allegations and was also received by many City councillors and City staff. Second, the concerns raised in the anonymous letter are similar to those raised by Councillor Thompson in defence of his own actions in a separate inquiry; I believe that City Council may reasonably wish to know this outcome and its reasons when considering my report and recommendations about Councillor Thompson. "

See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-117174.pdf

More likely Education. He does have a year or so of School Board experience.

More qualified than John Snobelen!

A few councillors still haven't signed up or announced that they aren't running, along with Michael Ford: Mike Layton, Mark Grimes, Justin Di Dunpar, Anthony Perruzza, David Shiner, Denzil Minnan-Wong, Glenn De Baeremaeker, and Neethan Shan.

A few, like Shiner, would usually wait until the last day or two to submit their forms -- it's a tactic meant to keep challengers guessing, especially if organization and fundraising isn't a big worry for a long-time incumbent. At least the deadline to run or withdraw is much earlier this time.

More qualified than John Snobelen!

A few councillors still haven't signed up or announced that they aren't running, along with Michael Ford: Mike Layton, Mark Grimes, Justin Di Dunpar, Anthony Perruzza, David Shiner, Denzil Minnan-Wong, Glenn De Baeremaeker, and Neethan Shan.

A few, like Shiner, would usually wait until the last day or two to submit their forms -- it's a tactic meant to keep challengers guessing, especially if organization and fundraising isn't a big worry for a long-time incumbent. At least the deadline to run or withdraw is much earlier this time.
Neethan Shan is an appointed Councillor who promised he would not run. Of course, if based on the strong rumour that Lucy Troisi is running, THAT means nothing! (I like the Justin di Dunpar note!) Correction. SHEN was elected in a by-election.

Last edited:
Iola! That's a blast from the past. There were so many characters like her and Singing Jimmy who used to worship Rob. Then he got removed from City Hall and believed Doug was behind it so he jumped on the Olivia Chow bandwagon.

Back