News   Jul 12, 2024
 789     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 712     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 303     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was also wondering about Michelle B but I think I saw her name on the list. As far as her losing, she won by a lot of votes last time around if I remember correctly.

Name recognition mostly. I knew the second place person very well. Paul is a environmental, tree hugging NDP'er. Very much left and bordering on Communist. In any other riding he would have been considered a fringe candidate.

I worked on his campaign at the time and left because of his pie in the sky ideas. Not to attack his credibility but the ideas he proposed were so off the wall and not feasible that I left to volunteer with someone that I actually thought would be able to do some good for Toronto.

I worked on his campaign at the time and left because of his pie in the sky ideas. Not to attack his credibility but the ideas he proposed were so off the wall and not feasible that I left to volunteer with someone that I actually thought would be able to do some good for Toronto.
I would hate to see you actually attacking someone's credibility! :-}

Michelle Holland is not a useful figure for Council or her Ward.

She was responsible for the removal of the Pharmacy and Birchmount bike lanes, which had caused very little disruption (I don't live in her ward but drove through regularly).

Where Adrian Heaps could claim involvement in creating those bike lanes, and in championing a dramatic improvement to Victoria Park Stn, the sitting councillor has no comparable accomplishments.

I have had limited dealing w/her, but on a personal level, my own impression is temperamental, shortsighted, a tad paranoid and almost entirely vacuous.

But maybe that's just me..........

I hope there will be a credible, high-quality alternative running for her ward in the coming election and if so, I wish them good luck.

She was responsible for the removal of the Pharmacy and Birchmount bike lanes, which had caused very little disruption (I don't live in her ward but drove through regularly).

Where Adrian Heaps could claim involvement in creating those bike lanes, and in championing a dramatic improvement to Victoria Park Stn, the sitting councillor has no comparable accomplishments.

I have had limited dealing w/her, but on a personal level, my own impression is temperamental, shortsighted, a tad paranoid and almost entirely vacuous.

I hope there will be a credible, high-quality alternative running for her ward in the coming election and if so, I wish them good luck.

The Birchmount Bike lanes were impractical. The stretch they put it on wasn't well used by cyclists and only served to cause traffic congestion.

I live in the area and was glad when they were finally yoinked.

Michelle is one of the councillors with the most missed votes She spends more time out of the country at conferences paid for by the city than she does at city hall.

I wouldn't be upset if Michelle Holland lost her ward - but name recognition goes a long way. I don't see her losing.

As for Filion calling it quits, that sounds like swell news. North York might have a chance at adding +1 decent councilor this October.

I wouldn't be upset if Michelle Holland lost her ward - but name recognition goes a long way. I don't see her losing.

As for Filion calling it quits, that sounds like swell news. North York might have a chance at adding +1 decent councilor this October.

Agreed, it is extremely difficult to turf incumbents. Last election only one incumbent lost and in 2010 I believe only four lost.

Palacio, Carmichael Greb, Di Ciano and Mamo are the only ones that I think can get turfed.

Agreed, it is extremely difficult to turf incumbents. Last election only one incumbent lost and in 2010 I believe only four lost.

Palacio, Carmichael Greb, Di Ciano and Mamo are the only ones that I think can get turfed.

Ironically enough Michelle booted the incumbent Adrian Heaps.

Re Holland/Berardinetti: if we may flip things, Bob Chiarelli was humiliated into a similarly poor third in the 2006 Ottawa Mayoral race. Next thing you know, he was byelected back into Queen's Park...

The Birchmount Bike lanes were impractical. The stretch they put it on wasn't well used by cyclists and only served to cause traffic congestion.

I live in the area and was glad when they were finally yoinked.

Michelle is one of the councillors with the most missed votes She spends more time out of the country at conferences paid for by the city than she does at city hall.
I live in her ward and was very happy to see them go. People in the suburbs use cars more than bikes, like it or not. I think Birchmount was affected worse than Pharmacy was.

I agree on her voting record, she misses a ton.

Crawford may also be in trouble. He isn't very well thought of in his ward, and Guildwood will be losing Paul Ainslie due to restructuring of the wards. He was very popular.

Crawford may also be in trouble. He isn't very well thought of in his ward, and Guildwood will be losing Paul Ainslie due to restructuring of the wards. He was very popular.

Shiner is in trouble. I was talking to a few neighbours last weekend, and they all voted for him in the past, but never see him around anymore. They will not be voting for him this time.

Dan Fox is running again and appears to have a strong organization out of the gate. Nobody had ever heard of Fox before 4 years ago, but he ran a strong grassroots campaign in 2014 and did much better than anyone expected. Watch this one closely.

Michelle Holland-Berardinetti (that's the name she's registered under in 2018) got the 3+ HOV lanes on Eglinton Avenue East down to 2+. That's her one and only accomplishment.

Back