News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 386     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 963     1 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Similarly since Justin di Dunpar says he is not running we may see the dreadful Grimes romping home - if the OPP do not get to him first.

Also Troisi is the (supposedly acting councillor in Ward 28)

Rumours running around City Council offices is that the NDP are in a jam. Layton and Cressy can't agree on who's running in which riding. Layton does better in the more residential single home neighbourhoods of his ward. Cressy isn't liked in the vertical communities in CityPlace and the Waterfront. Neither want to run in the more Conservative South Core.

This is why they're fighting the 25 ward arrangement like their political life depends on it. It does. This is an existential crisis for both city councillors.

Ultimately, one of them is going to have to take Spadina Fort York, and I honestly think that whoever does, whoever it is, is vulnerable. Kevin Vuong has been canvassing non stop since May. He's bar none, the hardest working candidate in this race. Meanwhile, Ausma Malik has been MIA in the ward. Han Dong has literallygone fishing.

It’s not just in Trinity Spadina where Dippers will clash.

I’ve been told that one councillor, affiliated with the NDP, who would likely lose against the more experienced neighbouring NDP councillor in a head-on-head match up, was approached by the Liberal riding association, who said they would provide volunteers and party lists if they jump the Dipper ship.

Meanwhile, the ONDP has told MPPs to halt all campaigning for any candidates until all this is settled, so as to avoid any rifts in the riding associations.

One of the most fascinating races would be Matlow vs. Mihevc in St. Paul’s, two well known councillors with big connections to their parties, the Liberals and NDP, respectively.

I feel like neither Layton or Cressy would face any issue getting re-elected in either riding.

Agreed. Assuming they don’t run against each other, either would win handedly. Name recognition is key.

I’ve been told that one councillor, affiliated with the NDP, who would likely lose against the more experienced neighbouring NDP councillor in a head-on-head match up, was approached by the Liberal riding association, who said they would provide volunteers and party lists if they jump the Dipper ship.
Doucette? or Fragedakis?

Anyway, with this type of thing happening I don't know why people argue against parties, when it seems like their are already party politics in Municipal politics.

And on the Layton vs Cressy topic, I think Layton has too much sway and will get to run where he wants. The only way this doesn't happen is if he is looking forward to running at different level or for mayor in 2022. If that case he may be willing to give Cressy the more desirable riding.

Last edited:
Doucette? or Fragedakis?

Anyway, with this type of thing happening I don't know why people argue against parties, when it seems like their are already party politics in Municipal politics.
Because municipal local issues just don't translate well with party politics and political ideology. I believe they even transcend them.

Even though I personally disagree with someone like Gord Perks on a lot of political ideological questions, he is a fantastically knowledgeable and diligent city councilor and I would vote for him if I was living in Parkdale. The last thing we need are for city councilors to tow the party line on an issue instead of representing the interests of the local community.

Just because many councilors "align" with an upper-tier political party, and those who align the same way tend to vote as a bloc 60% of the time, does not mean that we have a de facto party system in the city, merely political factions. If we had a party system, then those same councilors would be whipped to vote partisanly 100% of the time!!! (We shouldn't want that!)

Doucette? or Fragedakis?

It’s a rumour. And yes, it was one of those two.

I agree that party politics is already dominant. Even self regarded “non partisan” candidates, like one running for council in the east end, is being run by Liberal staffers.

Last edited:
Live list of 're-registered' candidates:

http://app.toronto.ca/vote/candidateListAll.do

Kelly vs Jimmy K will be quite the race to watch. According to Jonathan Goldsbie, Jimmy K has more resources.

Christin Carmichael Gerb (who hasn't re-registered yet) vs. Mike Colle vs. Jennifer Arp in Eglinton-Bathurst will be exciting.

The biggest loser today has to be Ford-loyalist Vincent Crisanti, who will almost certainly lose to Mikey.

Live list of 're-registered' candidates:

http://app.toronto.ca/vote/candidateListAll.do

Kelly vs Jimmy K will be quite the race to watch. According to Jonathan Goldsbie, Jimmy K has more resources.

Christin Carmichael Gerb (who hasn't re-registered yet) vs. Mike Colle vs. Jennifer Arp in Eglinton-Bathurst will be exciting.

The biggest loser today has to be Ford-loyalist Vincent Crisanti, who will almost certainly lose to Mikey.

Carmichael Greb just registered.

So far, only Kelly vs Karygiannis officially has two incumbents facing off against each other.

I was hoping Matlow would run against Carmichael Greb and leave St Clair/Midtown to Mihevc.

I'd also like to see Perks kick Bailao out in Davenport and leave High Park to Doucette but not going to happen.

I'm rooting for Beth Levy, she is the most experienced with municipal affairs, well known in the community, and is a planner by trade.

Seems like a busy field. Could be another horrendous vote split.

I think Ausma Malik, Chris Moise and Jennifer Hollett are also losers after today. It is highly unlikely they run if KWT or Cressy/Layton run in their place.

Big winners are Mike Colle and Han Dong, whose wards now include the most or all of their old constituencies. They will have a much bigger list of supporters and more name recognition.

If I had to pick, I imagine Mike Layton runs in University-Rosedale, Cressy in Spadina-Fort York, and KWT in Toronto Centre.

If I'm Malik, Moise or Hollett, I'm looking at a potential lawsuit against the city or province for damages. Hollett, for instance, left a sweet gig at Twitter Canada.

Last edited:
This is of interest further to the above, the ethics of this case besides, Achampong is very adept at dealing with the Ontario Superior Court:
Court finds former mayoral candidate ‘sandbagged’ opposing counsel
November 22, 2012|Written By Michael McKierna

https://www.canadianlawyermag.com/l...l-candidate-sandbagged-opposing-counsel-4832/

In deference to Achampong, there might have been subsequent rulings beyond the above. My point is that he's a "sharp" lawyer. Looks like Mulroney's going to have to hone her legal linguistics let alone learn to dance in the halls of justice if she's to stand a chance on this...

“jurisdictional jigsaw” ya gotta love it! "Those who live by the 'saw' die by the 'saw' ."
'Sharp lawyer'? Aggressive lawyer, perhaps. Doesn't mean he's 'sharp'. Question Caroline Mulroney's involvement in the August 31 deliberations.

I think Ausma Malik, Chris Moise and Jennifer Hollett are also losers after today. It is highly unlikely they run if KWT or Cressy/Layton run in their place.

Big winners are Mike Colle and Han Dong, whose wards now include the most or all of their old constituencies. They will have a much bigger list of supporters and more name recognition.

If I had to pick, I imagine Mike Layton runs in University-Rosedale, Cressy in Spadina-Fort York, and KWT in Toronto Centre.

If I'm Malik, Moise or Hollett, I'm looking at a potential lawsuit against the city or province for damages. Hollett, for instance, left a sweet gig at Twitter Canada.
Lawsuits are expensive and time-consuming. Doug Ford knows this. Chances are there won't be too many lawsuits for damages happening.

Back