News   Apr 24, 2024
 347     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 404     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 754     1 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...w-to-fight-premier-doug-ford-on-ward-cut.html

Toronto will take province to court over Ford’s plan to slash size of city council
All else besides on this, the Globe has been playing a coy game on refusing to mention Achampong, the councillor candidate spearheading his own case, referred to by the Globe as "a councillor". I searched the Globe's data-base, and his name only recently came up in a column yesterday, to which I added a reader comment as described. Of course, the Globe is moderating it, and I haven't checked back to see if they published it.

Whatever, Dynamite! My real question is whether Superior Court kicks this up to the SCC? Either way, it's Injunction Plus at the minimum.

Ford is going to get a licking, a la "The Game of Throwns (sic)"...as in 'thrown out'. My popcorn budget is getting out of hand...

I think Ausma Malik, Chris Moise and Jennifer Hollett are also losers after today. It is highly unlikely they run if KWT or Cressy/Layton run in their place.

Big winners are Mike Colle and Han Dong, whose wards now include the most or all of their old constituencies. They will have a much bigger list of supporters and more name recognition.

If I had to pick, I imagine Mike Layton runs in University-Rosedale, Cressy in Spadina-Fort York, and KWT in Toronto Centre.

If I'm Malik, Moise or Hollett, I'm looking at a potential lawsuit against the city or province for damages. Hollett, for instance, left a sweet gig at Twitter Canada.
Yes, the political parties behind many (but certainly not all) candidates will all have been trying to 'allocate' candidates to one of the new Wards and there are going to be lots of disappointed candidates (particularly new ones). Your pick seems to be dead-on and I hear that the NDP HAVE 'assigned' Wong-Tam to Toronto Centre, Cressy to Spadina-Fort York and Layton to University- Rosedale.

Yes, the political parties behind many (but certainly not all) candidates will all have been trying to 'allocate' candidates to one of the new Wards and there are going to be lots of disappointed candidates (particularly new ones). Your pick seems to be dead-on and I hear that the NDP HAVE 'assigned' Wong-Tam to Toronto Centre, Cressy to Spadina-Fort York and Layton to University- Rosedale.

I also forgot George Smitherman, who will likely still run, but probably lose to KWT.

I'm interested in how they resolve the Fletcher-Fragedakis problem. Fletcher is the senior Councillor, and regardless of what one thinks of her views, is the far more effective Councillor. But I believe she's older, and she might just want to retire in favour of Fragedakis rather than take on what is effectively two wards.

Last edited:
I think Ausma Malik, Chris Moise and Jennifer Hollett are also losers after today. It is highly unlikely they run if KWT or Cressy/Layton run in their place.

Big winners are Mike Colle and Han Dong, whose wards now include the most or all of their old constituencies. They will have a much bigger list of supporters and more name recognition.

If I had to pick, I imagine Mike Layton runs in University-Rosedale, Cressy in Spadina-Fort York, and KWT in Toronto Centre.

If I'm Malik, Moise or Hollett, I'm looking at a potential lawsuit against the city or province for damages. Hollett, for instance, left a sweet gig at Twitter Canada.

Chris Moise is one of the applicants on the legal applications against Bill 5. He'll be okay (he has professional training and a small business), but for many of these younger hopefuls, it's an awful predicament.

Wait Wong-Tam is part of the NDP caucus, I kept hearing from many people she was not aligned with NDP(despite always voting the way they want).

I speculate Moise and Malik are gonna run back to the TDSB. And I think Hollett is just not going to run.

Wait Wong-Tam is part of the NDP caucus, I kept hearing from many people she was not aligned with NDP(despite always voting the way they want).
I think she was tapped to run for the Liberals at one point or the other.

Either way, I believe it is fair to say she is more or less aligned with progressive interests.

I could see Fletcher, at age 67, stepping aside for Fragedakis. I heard that initially Fletcher was keeping her old seat warm for local trustee Jennifer Story in 2022. I concur that Fletcher is a much stronger councillor, atleast on the council floor. Also, the Greek population south of the Danforth is tiny compared to the northern portion that Fragedakis represents.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Joe Mihevc step aside rather than run against Matlow. Mihevc has held public office for 27 years, and has a decent fall back option as an ex-professor in the humanities.

Last edited:
I wonder if Bike Cop Kyle can take advantage of a vote split and kick out both Robinson and Burnside. He's been campaigning so who knows.

I think she was tapped to run for the Liberals at one point or the other.

Either way, I believe it is fair to say she is more or less aligned with progressive interests.

Don't forget that Shelley Carroll caucused with the progressives, and she's a Liberal. Vaughan did as well. KWT, I don't think, is strongly aligned with either party.

I wonder if Bike Cop Kyle can take advantage of a vote split and kick out both Robinson and Burnside. He's been campaigning so who knows.
I just don't think that riding is really favored for a progressive candidate.

Anyway if you look at the candidate list there all incumbent progressive councilors have not signed up yet with the exception of Perruzza. I find this an interesting strategy.
I saw Diane Dyson who was Janet Davis' pick to replace her whining about another candidate signing up. https://twitter.com/Diane_Dyson/status/1031628934448902146
Personally I find this a bit of reality denial. People are really holding onto hope for the court challenge.

Back