News   Mar 28, 2024
 245     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 319     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 682     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Star reporting contents of confidential legal report to Council ahead of special mtg next week.

Legal 's opinion seems to be underwhelmed confusion as it comes w/no recommendation.

The article discusses the arguments.

Of note, the City Clerk now says she can cope w/the province's change, as Elections Ontario and MPAC are helping her out.........

She apparently thinks reverting the 47-ward election may be even more challenging at this date.

https://www.thestar.com/news/toront...-council-city-of-toronto-legal-team-says.html

The Star reporting contents of confidential legal report to Council ahead of special mtg next week.

Legal 's opinion seems to be underwhelmed confusion as it comes w/no recommendation.

The article discusses the arguments.

Of note, the City Clerk now says she can cope w/the province's change, as Elections Ontario and MPAC are helping her out.........

She apparently thinks reverting the 47-ward election may be even more challenging at this date.

https://www.thestar.com/news/toront...-council-city-of-toronto-legal-team-says.html
My reading of this confirms what I thought beforehand that a legal challenge is a longshot.

We should remember that John Tory was a lawyer, who actually graduated from Osgoode Law School, and was a business man, who was President and CEO for Rogers Media. See link.

Doug Ford "attended" Scarlett Heights Collegiate Institute. He got his "job" at the family business, Deco Labels and Tags, through nepotism. See link.

Who would you believe has a better "legal" chance at winning a legal challenge for "anything"?

We should remember that John Tory was a lawyer, who actually graduated from Osgoode Law School, and was a business man, who was President and CEO for Rogers Media. See link.

Doug Ford "attended" Scarlett Heights Collegiate Institute. He got his "job" at the family business, Deco Labels and Tags, through nepotism. See link.

Who would you believe has a better "legal" chance at winning a legal challenge for "anything"?
Do you think Doug Ford personally wrote bill 5?

I thought you were going to say that - "and Jennifer Keesmaat has no legal background and says that Ford should not be allowed to shrink council.

Who do you trust to accept the legal advice from the experts? "

I thought you were going to say that - "and Jennifer Keesmaat has no legal background and says that Ford should not be allowed to shrink council.

Who do you trust to accept the legal advice from the experts? "

Goddamn. Enough with the troll tactics. Seriously.

Not commenting on L. K. Lis’s argument; however, on the point of Nepotism, anyone who has ever had something to gain from it knows that there is nothing easy about gaining something through Nepotism.

Speaking of which my Councillor is Mike Layton and I wanted to share my feelings on him in a greater point about the roll of Councillor representation and politics.

Layton is actually a good representative that listens to reasonable arguments. That makes him a good Councillor. Politically I fairly consistently disagree with his views. If he ran for higher levels of government in my riding under the NDP banner I would never vote for him. City Council is a fundamentally different beast and there is a big difference between who you want to deal with on local issues that effect your home, street, and business, and macro political philosophy.

Not commenting on L. K. Lis’s argument; however, on the point of Nepotism, anyone who has ever had something to gain from it knows that there is nothing easy about gaining something through Nepotism.

Speaking of which my Councillor is Mike Layton and I wanted to share my feelings on him in a greater point about the roll of Councillor representation and politics.

Layton is actually a good representative that listens to reasonable arguments. That makes him a good Councillor. Politically I fairly consistently disagree with his views. If he ran for higher levels of government in my riding under the NDP banner I would never vote for him. City Council is a fundamentally different beast and there is a big difference between who you want to deal with on local issues that effect your home, street, and business, and macro political philosophy.
This is an essential point, and a major factor of why Ward boundaries are often not optimal when shared with legislative boundaries.

What's wrong with Mike Layton? And you'd vote conservative if he ran for higher levels of government? Yikes.

Avenue, that's missing my point. I'm not commenting on my political stance, I'm using a personal anecdote to make a point of why Council representation is somewhat different than political ideology. Put it another way, if I was a left-leaning NDP voter that would not necessarily mean that my Conservative Councillor wouldn't be a good Councillor and worthy of my vote from a representation point of view.

Furthermore, society is healthy and functioning precisely because people have different political points of view. We all think we know better but this should be tempered with a healthy appreciation that a range of views, not the triumph of one point of view, is the end point.

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-119904.pdf

Additional Ward Changes for the 2018 Municipal Election
In the event a challenge to Bill 5 is successful in the courts (which could be subject to further appeals), the City Clerk has assessed the risk and capacity to revert back to 47 wards in the administration of the October 22, 2018 election.
Assuring compliance with the principles of the MEA and ensuring the integrity and confidence in the electoral process will be severely compromised. Reverting back to a 47 ward model so close to election day raises unacceptable levels of risk and undermines the trust and confidence of candidates and voters. The City Clerk is concerned she will be unable to undertake the necessary due diligence required to administer an election while meeting the principles of the MEA including the ability to
•produce an accurate voters list based a revised 47 ward model.
•secure additional and re-permit voting places that meet the accessibility requirements outlined in legislation;
• design, produce, print and perform logic and accuracy testing of 2 million ballots
across 235 ballot types and required end-to-end testing of election systems;
•amend and print training materials and execute training for over 18,000 election day workers; and
•provide revised communication and information to voters, candidates and the public; about their ward and where to vote."

Though I strongly disapprove of HOW the reduction in Councillors has been done (and I think it is done) I can accept a 25 Ward Council could be effective. However, the reduction in numbers completely changes who the best councillors might be. Those in the Doug Ford mold of enjoying dealing with pot-holes and speed bumps (though quite popular with voters, despite what we think here) would be TOTALLY unsuitable as the"board of directors" type of councillor that will be needed under the 25 Ward model. We certainly do have some current councillors who can probably make the switch (Cressy and Minan-Wong?) but I doubt that all of the current crop (even some who are excellent now) could cope.
The other problem is that the constituent complaints about speed bumps and pot-holes will not go away but in future ALL of this 'retail politics' will have to be dealt with 100% by councillors' constituency assistants as the councillors themselves will be busy (should be busy) actually running the city and 'we' will need more of them and perhaps a different kind who can (and are allowed to) work with little or no direction. It will be a huge 'culture change' for all of them and there will be no room for the chronic non-performers like Mammo and Grimes or those who simply fail to show up for work.

Back