News   Aug 09, 2024
 657     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 601     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 2.3K     2 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He may have moved. He used to live near the waterfront. I missed that he ran in the provincial election. He’s a piece of work.

I think he runs in University-Rosedale now. At least he did for the provincial election. Maybe he doesn't live in the new Ward 19?

Last I heard he lives in the north end of his riding.

No surprise to see Layton running for re-election as a councillor. Wouldn't be surprised if he has his eyes on a bigger prize in four years.

Meanwhile, Neethan Shan as of this morning is running for re-election. His 'Scarborough vs. Everyone' mentality is unfortunate, but he's a reliable progressive vote on most issues.

Last I heard he lives in the north end of his riding.

No surprise to see Layton running for re-election as a councillor. Wouldn't be surprised if he has his eyes on a bigger prize in four years.

Meanwhile, Neethan Shan as of this morning is running for re-election. His 'Scarborough vs. Everyone' mentality is unfortunate, but he's a reliable progressive vote on most issues.

It's more like "Morningside Heights vs. Everyone" - he complained that his area didn't have a library, which is false. He then clarified he was talking about his own neighbourhood of Morningside Heights, the last subdivision built in Toronto. Morningside Heights is pretty bad - it's isolated, difficult to get to by transit, disconnected due to the railways, the tributaries of the Rouge River, protected greenspace, and hydro fields, and without even a commercial plaza. You can't easily walk from one end to the other. I don't know how the area can be easily serviced with a community centre or library. The density is very low, unlike nearby Malvern, which is much more centralized.

He's a reliable progressive vote on most things, but I really dislike him. As far as left-leaning councillors go, I do not care for Shan or Cressy.

What did Cressy do? Asking because I had no idea.

Cressy seems to get a bad rep from some UTers on responsiveness for day-to-day constituency items. I can't speak to it as I'm not his constituent. Like many councillors, I can only attest to their voting record and public remarks. From afar it seems like Cressy has a solid grasp of city building issues and a keen eye for issues like transit and social housing.

I complained to his office about how eager he was to throw the King Street Pilot under the streetcar in the name of appeasing TIFF. I got no reply. People who did get a response was a boilerplate talk about how important TIFF is, yada, yada.

That in itself isn't why I dislike Cressy, but it's indicative.

What do people think of Sarah Doucette? She's now my councillor, but I'm fairly new to the neighbourhood and don't have much of a sense of her record, whether good or otherwise. Are there any serious challengers, announced or expected?

Sarah Doucette is a part of the progressive downtown block. You can do worse. Re-elect her.

Meanwhile, Neethan Shan as of this morning is running for re-election. His 'Scarbrough vs. Everyone' mentality is unfortunate, but he's a reliable progressive vote on most issues.

As much as I was not a fan of Raymond Cho, his Constituency Assistant responded to my emails faster than Councillor Shan's C.A.

Perhaps busy scrap yards serve a useful purpose? Furthermore, if they have a proper permit there is nothing she (or the City) can do about them.

For a community that has nothing (especially for youths), there are far better uses for the land than a scrap yard. Also, there was an idea of having a GO Station at the corner.

For a community that has nothing (especially for youths), there are far better uses for the land than a scrap yard. Also, there was an idea of having a GO Station at the corner.

It would get replaced with condos.

The same people complaining about it would then complain about density creep.

Back