News   May 03, 2024
 685     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 441     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 233     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ah, yes, Ward 34 (Rosedale-Danforth-Old East York), the craziest of the new wards.

While I tend to often agree with the so-called progressives on Council, Mary "I bring you surface parking lots" Fragedakis has been underwhelming. Some real competition, from Rosedale or anywhere else in the ward, would be nice.

Her failure to get behind the Donlands bike lanes early on was a disappointment.

IF one were looking for more ward-centric stuff, her ward is one of the most shortchanged for parks in the City (the playground/sportsfield kind); and I haven't seen any serious push to address that w/one significant new park and/or a major expansion of an existing one.

Her ward also has the most undersized district library in Pape and is only complimented by that tiny room inside the community centre.

No real movement on doing something there either.

She doesn't seem like a bad person, but her efforts to improve her community or the City have both been underwhelming.

Mind you, an improvement on Case Oootes who used to actively try to make the City worse.

Her failure to get behind the Donlands bike lanes early on was a disappointment.

IF one were looking for more ward-centric stuff, her ward is one of the most shortchanged for parks in the City (the playground/sportsfield kind); and I haven't seen any serious push to address that w/one significant new park and/or a major expansion of an existing one.

Her ward also has the most undersized district library in Pape and is only complimented by that tiny room inside the community centre.

No real movement on doing something there either.

She doesn't seem like a bad person, but her efforts to improve her community or the City have both been underwhelming.

Mind you, an improvement on Case Oootes who used to actively try to make the City worse.

There's also only one indoor pool in Ward 29, also at the Pape community centre. I've been pleased with her office staff and her work on a neighbourhood parkette. And yes, she has been a reliable progressive vote and a big improvement over Ootes.

Wasn't there already someone (more locally rooted, presumably) bidding for the nomination? Mammo probably had it conveyed to him that he wasn't welcome...

Mammo. Even the Tories have some principles and they must know that he is under police investigation for the Parking Authority frauds. It would not look good to have a candidate being charged just as an election is getting underway. My suspicion is that he was 'discouraged' from throwing his hat into the Provincial ring. We will see if charges are actually laid - in which case even his Council chances ought to be zero. too. (But it is still quite odd why his Ward keeps re-electing him!)

I wonder if Ainslie and Crawford will run against each other now that Ward 36 has been extended. Ainslie is quite popular in his ward but Crawford isn't quite so much in his.

Back