News   Jul 12, 2024
 911     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 815     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 334     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Will be interesting to see how it plays out. The local NDP doesn't always play nice with non-NDPers.

I’ve always been fascinated by the workings of political parties in Toronto city council. Occasionally you have candidates that can bridge political silos. For instance, KWT has support from both the NDP and Liberals, and Alejandra Bravo and Dan Mazer had support from members of both parties last election. Occasionally you have candidates running against each other from the same political party. For instance, Justin Di Ciano vs. Peter Milczyn in 2010 were both card-carrying Liberals, and Ana Bailao vs. Cesar Palacio in 2018 will be the same thing.

In between elections, most of the progressive Liberal types play well with the NDP members, like Shelley Carroll or Adam Vaughan when he was on council. You get a sense of the size of the 'Liberal Party' tent when you consider that Shelly Carroll and Ana Bailao are members of the same party as Frank Di Giorgio and Jim Karygiannis.

I’ve always been fascinated by the workings of political parties in Toronto city council. Occasionally you have candidates that can bridge political silos. For instance, KWT has support from both the NDP and Liberals, and Alejandra Bravo and Dan Mazer had support from members of both parties last election. Occasionally you have candidates running against each other from the same political party. For instance, Justin Di Ciano vs. Peter Milczyn in 2010 were both card-carrying Liberals, and Ana Bailao vs. Cesar Palacio in 2018 will be the same thing.

In between elections, most of the progressive Liberal types play well with the NDP members, like Shelley Carroll or Adam Vaughan when he was on council. You get a sense of the size of the 'Liberal Party' tent when you consider that Shelly Carroll and Ana Bailao are members of the same party as Frank Di Giorgio and Jim Karygiannis.

Certainly members of the same party, but there is an archaeological aspect to that. One senses Carroll and Bailao would feel a lot more at home in a Liberal caucus of today, either at Queen's Park or Parliament Hill, than Di Giorgio or Karygiannis. I seem to recall Jimmy describing himself as "the last Samurai in the party" when he left federal politics - his era had passed.

Certainly members of the same party, but there is an archaeological aspect to that. One senses Carroll and Bailao would feel a lot more at home in a Liberal caucus of today, either at Queen's Park or Parliament Hill, than Di Giorgio or Karygiannis. I seem to recall Jimmy describing himself as "the last Samurai in the party" when he left federal politics - his era had passed.

Fair point. With the Trudeau government's more leftish bent, it's easy to forget that last decade there were still dozens of 'blue liberals' collecting dust on the backbenches. For whatever reason, Toronto's east end made up a huge share of that faction: Tom Wappel, Jimmy K, Dennis Mills, John McKay, John Cannis and Dan McTeague. All were anti-same sex marriage and some were pro-life. McKay is the only one still in Ottawa. JT must have been so happy to see Jimmy depart in 2014.

Fair point. With the Trudeau government's more leftish bent, it's easy to forget that last decade there were still dozens of 'blue liberals' collecting dust on the backbenches. For whatever reason, Toronto's east end made up a huge share of that faction: Tom Wappel, Jimmy K, Dennis Mills, John McKay, John Cannis and Dan McTeague. All were anti-same sex marriage and some were pro-life. McKay is the only one still in Ottawa. JT must have been so happy to see Jimmy depart in 2014.

My favourite Dennis Mills story is that he ensured that his riding of Broadview-Greenwood got renamed Toronto-Danforth, without public consultation. He did so, apparently, because he was annoyed that the local NPD had registered the broadviewgreenwood.ca domain name.

I'm getting off topic, but I suppose the relevance is today that we have two (NDP-held) municipal wards (29 and 30), both named "Toronto Danforth", all because two decades ago Mills wanted to stick it to the NDP.

we have two (NDP-held) municipal wards (29 and 30), both named "Toronto Danforth", all because two decades ago Mills wanted to stick it to the NDP.

Has there been any effort to name the new wards on the map, or update the wikipedia page for the 2018 election? The 2014 election page is quite detailed and informative, and it would take a significant group effort to make the 2018 one equally useful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_municipal_election,_2014

I thought Di Giorgio ran for the federal Tories in 1984.

From link.

2014:
wards_keymap.gif

2018:
8f5a-2018-01-22-OMB-Approved-47-Ward-TWBBI-267-2017-Map-1024x659.png

I wonder if Mary Fragedakis will have any competition with the widely expanded Ward 34? She is probably the quietest on council of the 'NDP caucus,' but she has a solid constituency presence. Could a well-financed Rosedalian throw their hat in the ring?

Last edited:
Ah, yes, Ward 34 (Rosedale-Danforth-Old East York), the craziest of the new wards.

While I tend to often agree with the so-called progressives on Council, Mary "I bring you surface parking lots" Fragedakis has been underwhelming. Some real competition, from Rosedale or anywhere else in the ward, would be nice.

Last edited:
Ah, yes, Ward 34 (Rosedale-Danforth-Old East York), the craziest of the new wards.

While I tend to often agree with the so-called progressives on Council, Mary "I bring you surface parking lots" Fragedakis has been underwhelming. Some real competition, from Rosedale or anywhere else in the ward, would be nice.

Agreed. It is definitely the wackiest redrawing. One thing going for Fragedakis is that despite the huge geographic addition of Rosedale, the area has very low population (voter) density. She also has the well oiled Toronto Danforth NDP machine behind her.

Ward 7 is currently Councillor Mammoliti's ward. Originally, he was NDP. Today, he "says" he's Progressive Conservative.

If Mammoliti gets elected in Brampton-Centre as a Progressive Conservative, the "new" ward 7 may end up with a more left or left-center councillor.

If Mammoliti loses in Brampton-Centre in June, expect Toronto's ward 7 to re-elect the incumbent (again) in October. Unless Mammoliti "retires".

Ward 7 is currently Councillor Mammoliti's ward. Originally, he was NDP. Today, he "says" he's Progressive Conservative.

If Mammoliti gets elected in Brampton-Centre as a Progressive Conservative, the "new" ward 7 may end up with a more left or left-center councillor.

If Mammoliti loses in Brampton-Centre in June, expect Toronto's ward 7 to re-elect the incumbent (again) in October. Unless Mammoliti "retires".
Or unless he is charged by the OPP!

Back