News   Jul 12, 2024
 898     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 803     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 333     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There has been talk about a possible mayoral run for Layton, which is why I was checking him specifically.

I'm definitely curious where that came from. Layton isn't ready. Just doesn't seem to have it.

I would be stunned if Layton runs for mayor this year. I think most left wingers are waiting it out until 2022. Layton, KWT, Cressy have been named as potential mayoral contenders.

Also, finally confirmation that Cressy will indeed run in the new ward that covers part of what used to be the northern boundary of his ward, and Malik in the new southerly ward.

Last edited:
As expected, TDSB trustee Chris Moise is throwing his hat in the council race. He will be running in the new Ward 25 ward, currently mostly held by KWT in the current ward configuration. As Moise and KWT are allies, I anticipate this means KWT will run in the new Ward 23. Smitherman will probably run in Ward 21 or Ward 22.

As of today, KWT is running in Ward 22.

Carmichael-Greb is running for 're-election,' which would imply she was actually in office for 4 years.

Last edited:
No surprise that Jennifer McKelvie, close runner up to the late Ron Moeser in 2014, is running for a second time.

I don't think the NDP candidate Malik is a lock. The King West crowd isn't progressive at all.

Agreed. Typically the profile of a TDSB trustee is an asset, but how many of the recent arrivals to Cityplace and King West can name their trustee, let alone know what TDSB stands for? Kevin Vuong looks like he will be competitive, especially if he can get the support of local Liberals like Adam Vaughan and Han Dong.

I anticipate her trustee colleague Chris Moise winning.

Last edited:
No Troisi yet? I am guessing that will happen when it get close to the candidacy deadline.

AoD
I suspect you are correct though I still hope that she realises that running as a proven liar is not likely to help her candidacy. (She is on Council video saying - in answer to a question from Councillor Karygiannis - that she "would not run in Ward 28 or any other ward" and wants to return to the Cabbagetown Recreation Centre. She has certainly not endeared herself to residents of Ward 28 during her brief tenure either.

With the five month gap between the provincial and municipal elections, it wouldn't surprise me if some Liberal MPPs who lose in June throw their hat in the municipal ring in October. For instance, Yvan Baker, Soo Wong, Christina Martins or Arthur Potts.

Last edited:
No Troisi yet? I am guessing that will happen when it get close to the candidacy deadline.

AoD
4.59 on the Friday of the May 24 weekend, like a sneak.

I see Pamela Gough (TDSB trustee) has filed against Di Ciano. Don't think JDiC will have the Star's endorsement this time.

Back