News   Apr 25, 2024
 359     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Any word from David Shiner; if he's planning to run again or not? He's my councillor but nobody ever hears from him around here. It would be great if he had a serious challenger.

What about a replacement/challenger for Di Ciano? Dude is either going to drop out or be particularly vulnerable to a challenge.
His challenger last time, Kinga Surma, is running for the PCs in Etobicoke Centre, so if she looses she could run again municipally, although not in the same boundaries as Ward 5, and she didn't really come that close last time.

Any word from David Shiner; if he's planning to run again or not? He's my councillor but nobody ever hears from him around here. It would be great if he had a serious challenger.

Dan Fox will make a second run. I'm not sure if it will be against Shiner though, given the shifts in the ward boundaries and the new ward in the area.

While Matlow is a card-carrying Grit, I question if his 'maverick' inclinations would play well under a culture of strict party discipline.

Mind you, I thought the same about Adam Vaughan, who seems to be fitting in well in the Westminster system.

I wonder if Michael Bryant - Eric Hoskins' predecessor - wants another kick at the can?

I thought this was an interesting article from just over three years ago. It notes that all of the youthful, social media savvy candidates in 2014 failed to win their seats. In some cases, like Andre Domise, they didn’t even place second. I hope that the new crop of progressive candidates in 2018 spend more time knocking-on-doors and less time hashtagging and preaching to their choir of followers.

While Matlow is a card-carrying Grit, I question if his 'maverick' inclinations would play well under a culture of strict party discipline.

If the Liberals were reduced to Josh Matlow and Shelley Carroll, how much party discipline do you need? Start with them and rebuild from there.

Added a poll to the top of the thread - just for fun. If there's interest we can add a new one every week or so.

Grimes definitely isn't a lock, especially given the huge changes in demographics in the ward. With a credible alternative, I can see him losing.

Back