News   Jul 12, 2024
 229     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 377     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 220     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Please, God, let him get the nomination and win the election. At least he’d be constrained by party discipline at Queen’s Park.

Don't kid yourself. He would do well at Queen's Park - he's done very well under Tory, mostly keeping his stunts like the washroom photo-op in check. He's a smart man and would probably be a strong candidate for cabinet. Imagine him as Municipal Affairs Minister.

Remember that Ciano is definitely one Councillor that needs to be targeted and replaced- remember his ties to Dunpar and his role in the Metrolinx debacle + his opposition to ward redistribution & voting reform:

OPP reviewing allegations involving Councillor Justin Di Ciano, sources say
'Councillor Di Ciano has a long and close relationship with Dunpar. It has been a relationship that has been both financially and politically rewarding for him.'- Complaint to Integrity Commissioner Valerie Jepson
The integrity commissioner's investigation has centred on allegations that Di Ciano has benefited improperly from personal and business ties with Etobicoke-based developer Dunpar Homes Ltd., as first reported by CBC Toronto last May.

The investigation began after Di Ciano and Coun. Mark Grimes, who represents Ward 6 Etobicoke-Lakeshore, pushed for changes to a report that ended up benefiting Dunpar.
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...ncillor-justin-di-ciano-sources-say-1.4436059

I've always felt there was something slimey about Di Ciano. He forked out $21,000 of his own money on his 2014 election campaign - I believe the highest of any councillor last election. http://app.toronto.ca/EFD/jsf/candidate/view_financial_statements.xhtml

His brother is a well connected developer, and Di Ciano is practically joined to the hip of Etobicoke council-mate Mark Grimes, who has had past conflicts of interest with developers.

I also question the role Di Ciano had in potentially strong-arming the nominated 2014 federal Liberal candidate in Etobicoke Lakeshore who bowed out for 'personal reasons,' only to have James Maloney, the former interim councillor and whose federal campaign was chaired by Di Ciano, take her place.

As animatronic mentioned, Di Ciano and MPP Peter Milczyn - both Liberals - despise each other. Milczyn's ex-assistant ran and lost against Di Ciano in 2014.

Etobicoke politics is a sh*t show.

Last edited:
The fact that a former RCMP memeber is involved suggests that this is pretty serious. It's time Di Ciano is exposed for his suspect behavior.

One would hope Grimes is not far behind on the investigations list.

As animatronic mentioned, Di Ciano and MPP Peter Milczyn - both Liberals - despise each other. Milczyn's ex-assistant ran and lost against Di Ciano in 2014.

Etobicoke politics is a sh*t show.

Though said ex-assistant, Kinga Surma, is running for the provincial PCs in Etobicoke Centre next year. (NB no party-jump--she was a Con in 2014, as well.)

Though said ex-assistant, Kinga Surma, is running for the provincial PCs in Etobicoke Centre next year. (NB no party-jump--she was a Con in 2014, as well.)
Interesting, Surma isn't the most well known person. I've also noticed the PCs have nominated in Etobicoke-Lakeshore as well. Neither are big names in Etobicoke, odd considering most of Etobicoke will likely go PC next time around.

Grimes may face a tougher challenge next time around as the demographics in his ward have changed quite a bit, particularly around Huber Bay.

I find the role of party politicals in municipal elections fascinating. For instance, for the NDP, the local riding association unofficially 'anoints' a local candidate. Recently elected councillors like Joe Cressy, Mary Fragedakis and Sarah Doucette fit this mold. The Liberal Party, given it's 'big tent,' frequently has card-carrying party members running against one another. This leads to an odd scenario where campaign staff rivals become coworkers once a provincial or federal election is called. For instance, card carrying Liberals Ana Bailao and Alex Mazer in Ward 18 effectively 'split' the party membership of Davenport during their last election.

There are some rare examples of 'crossover' candidates who receive support from camps from two parties. For instance, KWT has support from both Liberal and NDP camps, as did Alejandra Bravo in 2014.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/omb-approves-ward-boundaries-1.4450695

Looks like Toronto will get 3 new councillors in 2018, and with that urban ridings will have a slightly higher influence on council than the suburbs. It makes each vote count more as it splits up very highly populated ridings.

What DiCiano did with going to the OMB was wrong, but I do agree with the point that South Etobicoke is hardest hit by the new boundaries, and will end up having two of the most populated wards in the city - not to mention Keesmaat's Planning department systematically under-reported the growth in that area (allegedly/my opinion). It really should have 1/2 a riding more, but because the city doesn't want a ward to cross the creek/river, it isn't even considered. Also with the new Federal, and soon to be provincial boundaries, Etobicoke Lakeshore and Etobicoke Centre are the two most populated ridings in the City of Toronto , add to that the huge growth at Humber Bay, and you can understand why people down there are upset.

What DiCiano did with going to the OMB was wrong, but I do agree with the point that South Etobicoke is hardest hit by the new boundaries, and will end up having two of the most populated wards in the city - not to mention Keesmaat's Planning department systematically under-reported the growth in that area (allegedly/my opinion). It really should have 1/2 a riding more, but because the city doesn't want a ward to cross the creek/river, it isn't even considered. Also with the new Federal, and soon to be provincial boundaries, Etobicoke Lakeshore and Etobicoke Centre are the two most populated ridings in the City of Toronto , add to that the huge growth at Humber Bay, and you can understand why people down there are upset.

The old (and current ward boundaries) were created in 1997, and were based on the 1991 census. Six years difference.

The proposed ward boundaries are based on the 2011 census. See link, dated 2015.

This change is already outdated, when looking at the 2016 census. See link. Map below shows difference between 2011 and 2016.
25111-87399.jpg

This means that the ward boundaries should be changed much more sooner than later. We shouldn't wait another 20 years before we do it again.

School Board Trustee Ausma Malik plans to run for Council:

With a just-released decision on new ward boundaries creating four new wards, Malik says she plans to run in one half of a divided Ward 20 (Trinity-Spadina), now represented by newcomer Councillor Joe Cressy — a fellow NDP voice who ran a joint campaign with Malik and friend Councillor Mike Layton (Ward 19, Trinity-Spadina) in 2014.

Article here. Supportive comments from. Cressy and Wong-Tam.

School Board Trustee Ausma Malik plans to run for Council:

Article here. Supportive comments from. Cressy and Wong-Tam.

Cressy says he hasn't decided which half of the ward to run for. I'd be happy to vote for Ausma if she runs for south of Queen but I have a feeling Cressy is going to want to run there because of his interest in Rail Deck Park.

I selfishly want him to run for the north part of the ward because he's been the absolute worst councillor I've ever had and would rather have a councillor that answers my questions and takes constituent input seriously.

Cressy says he hasn't decided which half of the ward to run for. I'd be happy to vote for Ausma if she runs for south of Queen but I have a feeling Cressy is going to want to run there because of his interest in Rail Deck Park.

I selfishly want him to run for the north part of the ward because he's been the absolute worst councillor I've ever had and would rather have a councillor that answers my questions and takes constituent input seriously.

Unfortunately the party is becoming more and more important than the people in many wards in this City.

Posted in Ward boundaries thread. maybe bettwe here?

Just heard that Suzanne Kavanagh, the long-time president of the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association, is planning to run in Ward 21. Certainly a very active neighbourhood advocate with lots of name recognition.

Back