News   Apr 26, 2024
 247     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 480     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.4K     4 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
https://www.insidetoronto.com/opinion-story/8018132--who-s-responsible-for-the-money-disappearing-/

Do you think we could see a lot of turnover in 2018, or just more victories for incumbents?

I expect at least 2 current councillors to seek provincial office, and expect at least one of those to win.

Not sure if the 'loser' will still seek a council seat.

I expect the elimination of one ward to eliminate one incumbent.

Councillor McMahon has indicated she won't be running again.

We have two council seats currently filled by appointees who aren't supposed to run again.

That means minimum turnover would be 5, plus 3 new seats, for 8 new faces.

I expect the number will be higher, but I'm not convinced there will be a mass sweep.

Maybe 12-18 new faces on a 47 member council.

Just a guess.

I pray that Minnan-Wong wins the provincial seat - he's done enough damage to this city. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

You say that without considering the possibility that he gets appointed to some cabinet position of importance (such as transport minister) under a PC government, where his influence on Toronto could become even more powerful. Can't we just wait and see what happens before declaring victory?

Any rumours on a serious Di Ciano challenger? He seems ripe for the pickings, though he'll probably win re-election comfortably.

G0oing into 2010, it was assumed from 2006 results that Sandra Bussin would win re-election comfortably. Just saying.

This was brought to my attention via reddit.

This was a motion proposing turning the armoury into a temporary homeless shelter for the cold (considering current facilities are overcrowded).

DQZK0AwWkAEoWjG.jpg

Look at how 'progressive' councilors like Bailao, Holland, McMahon, Mihevc, Palacio and Robinson voted no.

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill with this particular motion, but I just thought it demonstrated very well how disappointing the vote records are of many of the 'progressive' / downtown / urbanist councilors.

I would not shed tears if many of these 'progressive' councilors lost their seats this year.

I would be willing to bet Mihevc pressed the wrong button or there is some other context to his vote. He is one of the most ardent left wingers on council.

I would be willing to bet Mihevc pressed the wrong button or there is some other context to his vote. He is one of the most ardent left wingers on council.

Mihevc has moved more to the center as of late it seems. His statement about "fare evaders hurting us all" was pretty shocking for a professed social democrat.

Back