News   Jul 16, 2024
 416     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 516     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 643     2 

2014 Ontario Provincial Election

The last of the losers has to be the mainstream media in general, wrong in their endorsement (except for the Star) Wrong on the issue that ended up being important with the voters. Wrong in how they read the polls. Here's the problem with news people reading poll, they look at it as interesting/entertainment, it should be looked at as a science. They see ONE poll with NDP 30% and go "Wow lets run with it" which of course is irresponsible and what you should do is cross-reference with other polls to see it it have any match to it at all. PS if any mainstream media organization wants to reach me for my services, drop me a PM and I won't yell at you too badly lol

What is the purpose of an endorsement?

Is it to tell which party will win, or which party will be best for Ontario?

If it is the former, then the mainstream media was indeed wrong. If it is the latter, then the verdict will only be known in 4 years time.
In hindsight, we can say that any mainstream media that supported the Liberals in 2011 or 2007 made the wrong call, because the province is much worse due to their rule. But in this election, the judgement on their endorsement can only be made in the future.

I don't think it's Ontarians not wanting change, but rather they were rejecting the flavour of change proposed. Ontarians never have a penchant for extremism. This election was always a referendum on Hudak, and Wynne just happened to be the benefactor from all this political drama.

You may be inside the head of the electorate...I am not.....all I have is observations and I observe that not only did they not vote for change they gave the existing minority government a majority....they not only did not change they said "even more of the same please!".

As for hating extremes, the Liberals themselves described their budget (and, therefore their election platform) the most progressive in history....they have and are moving us significantly left.

What is the purpose of an endorsement?

Is it to tell which party will win, or which party will be best for Ontario?

If it is the former, then the mainstream media was indeed wrong. If it is the latter, then the verdict will only be known in 4 years time.
In hindsight, we can say that any mainstream media that supported the Liberals in 2011 or 2007 made the wrong call, because the province is much worse due to their rule. But in this election, the judgement on their endorsement can only be made in the future.

Exactly....you cannot be "wrong" in an endorsement....it is just an opinion on who you think is best for the job and why....it is not a prediction of outcome.

With all due respect to those who were disappointed with the outcome of last night's election, I feel that those of us who are even remotely satisfied should take this opportunity to point and laugh at the Toronto Sun:

CAN_TSUN.jpg

Nothing tastes quite as sweet as conservative butt hurt tears :D

People, people, people. Wynne's budget plan and Hudak's budget plan are very different.

Hudak's idea was to quickly cut spending to reach balance in 2016, and cut revenues as well by reducing tax rates. What would that mean numbers-wise? Hard to know, but here's my analysis:

In 2013-14, Ontario had $116.4B in program spending, $10.6B in debt servicing costs, and $115.7B in revenue, for a net deficit of $11.3B. The stillborn 2014-15 budget (soon to be reintroduced!) projects revenues of $118.9B. Hudak's version of the 2014-15 budget would have likely been around $117B or so, as it lacked some of Wynne's tax hikes plus included a corporate tax cut. Wynne projects $5B a year increases in revenue owing to the US recovery (unaffected by Hudak), infrastructure stimulus effects (much less with Hudak), and background economic growth (likely reduced with Hudak given austerity measures). That means under Hudak revenue increases would be, say, $4B a year instead of $5B a year under Wynne. Meaning by 2016-17, we'd be at $125B. With debt servicing costs of around $13B (by then), that means program spending would have to be $112B in 2016-17 to hit balance. That's about $4B less than last year's spending levels, amounting to about $1.3B a year of spending reductions in each of 2014-15, 2015-16, and 2016-17.

Wynne's proposal is to increase program spending to $119.4B in 2014-15, increasingly slightly to $120B in 2015-16 and retaining that $120B in 2016-17, then cutting back down to $119.4B in 2017-18. Spending is kept essentially the same, with revenue growth eating into the deficit over time.

So, here's the summary:
-Under Hudak, spending would have been $4B lower than what it is today when the budget is balanced in 2 years--revenue and expenditure will match at about $124B.
-Under Wynne, spending will be about $3B higher than what it is today when the budget is balanced in 3 years--revenue and expenditure will match at about $135B.

Wynne will have to have spending restraint but much less than Hudak. Plus her plan is very easy for ministries to work with. They can simply shift spending from future budgets into the current one. For example a hospital can use their increase in 2014-15 to buy more than one year's worth of equipment this year allowing them to spend less on equipment in the next few. If its done right, the spending restraint could be practically invisible to the public. Hudak's plan would have made that kind of planning impossible. Note that McGuinty in his last few years managed to shave some $6B off the deficit without any noticeable decline in public services.

And, even if Wynne's revenue growth numbers prove to be too optimistic, guess what--her budget plan actually incorporates $1.2B each year of "cushion room" in case revenue growth fails to meet required levels.

This approach--increase spending short term to focus on highly stimulatory things like infrastructure and fix up existing funding shortfalls, followed by several years of spending freezes--was (ironically enough) the very successful strategy the federal government just used to balance its budget.

Last edited:
It's a blue collar town historically and very diverse racially. In fact, the eastern part of Brampton (Bramalea/Springdale) has more in common with Malton (Mississauga) and Rexdale (Toronto) to some degrees than it does with the western half of Brampton. It's similar in some ways to parts of Scarborough too really. In other words, areas where the Liberals have pretty-much always done well.

Actually, *Old* Brampton (i.e. as it existed until 1973/4) wasn't especially "blue collar historically"--or at least, no more than one'd expect from Peel County's main population and administrative centre. Remember that it was (and remains) Bill Davis's home; and the centre of town retains a lot of that old Upper Canadian Tory gentility (and votes accordingly--it went Tory as the rest of the riding went Liberal in 2007 and 2011).

It's Bramalea--built from the 60s onward on the back of airport-spurred industrial sprawl--that gets "blue collar" bragging rights; not unlike the UK's New Towns in that regard. (And it's worth noting that in 1990, when both-at-the-time Brampton seats barely stayed Liberal, Bramalea was the primary centre for NDP support.)

With all due respect to those who were disappointed with the outcome of last night's election, I feel that those of us who are even remotely satisfied should take this opportunity to point and laugh at the Toronto Sun:

CAN_TSUN.jpg

Nothing tastes quite as sweet as conservative butt hurt tears :D

What else can one expect from a Parti Quebecois member owned newspaper chain?

I think the cover is actually quite humorous, its a rehash of what is probably the suns most famous cover. (The one they did for 2011)

You know I find it funny that I am putting my support and effort behind not only a party (PC) I don't usually vote for but a political leader (Hudak) I never liked.

Let me tell you why. It's not really about the Liberals or Wynne. It's what they represent to me in my heart that I don't want to admit. I have lived in Ontario since the 1980's and throughout this time Ontario has been at the centre and heart of Canada. It has been the place to be, a national leader both politically and economically. This is the point in history where for me I have to admit that this is not the case anymore. Ontario is no longer exceptional, it is a middle-of-the-road place within Canada. That is actually not such a bad thing from a global perspective, it still puts us in exceptional company, but I guess I'm just a competitive person and mediocrity doesn't sit well with me. It is not the Provincial government's fault that this is the case and Wynne is not going to change things one way or another. I just don't know if Wynne or the people of Ontario recognize the change? She is still pushing national leading social programs, national leading infrastructure initiatives, and has at the core of her philosophy that Ontario public workers need to be the best paid in the country as though we are still the place to be and the economic powerhouse of the nation.

The irony is I am actually personally doing great. If you believe it, I actually care about these things not for my own future but for the future of this city and my community and so that Ontario can be an attractive place to prosper for my children.

The Romance of the Three Kingdoms starts with this passage: "Empires wax and wane; states cleave asunder and coalesce". There is nothing certain but change. What rises up will fall, and what falls will rise up once again. My problem and maybe strength is I can't help but want to try to intervene and control this inevitable process.

So anyways I say good luck to Premier Wynne in how she feels she needs to intervene, and that's the last I'm going to comment on this election :)

Last edited:
Where is Dalton?
Shouldn't he be on the world's biggest soap box celebrating the vindication of his disastrous reign by the voters of Ontario?

Back