News   Jul 19, 2024
 239     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 469     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 1.4K     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

You guys think Olivia has gained 7 to 10 percent of support in 5 days huh?
Not sure where your getting 7 to 10 percent. The polls last week and just before was 25% to 26%, the ones before were about 30%, and the new polls are 29% to 30%. All are within the margin of error.

The first poll from Friday is clearly an outlier. It's the one poll in 20 which is just no good.

Ford did push the ridiculous Scarborough subway through.
Ford? It was nothing to do with Ford, he was pretty messed up at that point. It was all Stintz, and it was the opening for her mayoral run.

A new Ipsos poll - the first since #FordSwap2014 - has John Tory at 43%, Olivia Chow at 29% and Doug Ford at 28% http://globalnews.ca/news/1566237/john-tory-opening-up-big-lead-over-olivia-chow-doug-ford-poll/
That's today's poll that we've already been discussing above.

Last edited:
Not sure where your getting 7 to 10 percent. The polls last week and just before was 25% to 26%, the ones before were about 30%, and the new polls are 29% to 30%. All are within the margin of error.

The first poll from Friday is clearly an outlier. It's the one poll in 20 which is just no good.
I said low to mid 20s, so I'm not sure what your arguing here.

Here's the the back of a ward 42 candidate's propaganda flyer. Kabirul Mollah is offering a "SUBWAY EXTENDED TO TORONTO ZOO," "MORE ROUTE & RELIABLE BUS SERVICES" and "FAIR FARE." I don't think Kabirul is a regular Urban Toronto user, but whatever sells.

FAIR FARE, I love it.

fairfare.jpeg

Attachments

• fairfare.jpeg
    fairfare.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 329
I actually think the main plus for the idea is the mutability of it. It can emerge as Tory envisions or can be changed into some combination of GO electrification with TTC fare integration and Tory can still claim victory. That latitude is exactly why I see it as a feasible idea.

This is what I am counting on, and I think that is the plan as the Tory team must surely know that SmartTrack would never take off. Get elected, salvage w/e tangible ideas from SmartTrack (prioritization of Stoufville line electrification, fair integration), continue forward with Sheppard and Finch LRTs, work with council on DRL and other transit developments.

If the new Ipsos poll is true and Thug Ford is at 28%, it will make my voting decision much easier. Then again, it is Ipsos....

Here's the the back of a ward 42 candidate's propaganda flyer. Kabirul Mollah is offering a "SUBWAY EXTENDED TO TORONTO ZOO," "MORE ROUTE & RELIABLE BUS SERVICES" and "FAIR FARE." I don't think Kabirul is a regular Urban Toronto user, but whatever sells.

FAIR FARE, I love it.

LOL... may as well go big or go home. Promising subways everywhere as a trophy to your constituents, the new way to win!

FAIR FARE, I love it.

Why stop at the zoo?

Maybe it will even be extended to the Pickering Airport.

If Thug Ford somehow gets elected in, I will seriously renounce my faith in democracy. The ancient Greeks did vilify democracy after all.

I may be no John Tory fan but it's looking very seriously that he has this election in the bag. I doubt that good old Dougie will be able to be so genial as to drum up enough support to overtake him. For all his many, many faults, Rob Ford was able to portray himself as a relatable "everyman" that you could have a beer with. Doug is a much more standoffish, belligerent presence that I don't think will go over well with voters.

I was planning on attending but decided to go home instead when I heard that Tory dropped out.

Perhaps it is a calculated political move. SmartTrack is terribly weak as a transit plan, the best thing to do is just shut-up about it until after the election. Nobody will remember "TTC rider's group" being furious come election day.

edit: Cross-post with nfitz.

Weak transit plan? It's actually a really good idea, the best of the three by far. What has Olivia suggested? More buses to clog the already jammed roads? Real winner there.

Weak transit plan? It's actually a really good idea, the best of the three by far. What has Olivia suggested? More buses to clog the already jammed roads? Real winner there.

Well considering that the only part of it that Tory actually came up with was the name "SmartTrack" and an absurdly high price tag, while the province has taken and will take care of the rest with GO RER...

Tory also has the defeatist right-wing "There's no funding" mentality that has held back transit in Toronto - nay, Ontario or even Canada - for decades.

Well considering that the only part of it that Tory actually came up with was the name "SmartTrack" and an absurdly high price tag, while the province has taken and will take care of the rest with GO RER...

Tory also has the defeatist right-wing "There's no funding" mentality that has held back transit in Toronto - nay, Ontario or even Canada - for decades.

I listened to his radio show for years, he's an open minded guy and I believe he has learned many lessons over the years. He will work with the province and federal politicians for fair funding for Toronto. John Tory is no hardcore Conservative, he's more of a Liberal actually. The province had no plans to build Smart Track in 8 years. This plan will get it moving, should Tory win. It's a positive for the city, connecting Mississauga and Markham to the downtown core, plus ties in outer TO communities like Liberty Village and integrates it into the TTC for a $3 fair. It's a plan that works. It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than anything that has come out of Olivia's mouth. And don't even get me started on the Ford family plan. That's laughable.

Back