News   May 03, 2024
 863     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 536     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 263     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Marriage may be an outdated social construct based on inequality (to you, in your opinion) but denying it to one group of the population while supporting it for another group is, in fact, bigoted.

Being opposed to marriage in general is a matter of personal preference. Piling on top of one of the most consistently discriminated and persecuted groups (globally, throughout the span of modern history) is indicative of an anti-social personality who would damage rather than improve the social contract. Nobody said that bigots should not be tolerated, they simply are, in my humble opinion, unfit to govern for the benefit of all.

Now, getting back on track, I personally wish to see Ford gone. Although I would certainly prefer to see him ousted by voters, I realize that the world does not confirm to my ideological aspirations. If he drops out for medical reasons, I would be quite content. My personal wishes for Mr. Ford are to get well and get out.

Last edited:
You've been warned again and again. It just ends up derailing the discussion.
What lead to this debate is the claim that by Rufus8 that Rob Ford isn't a racist.

Racism and bigotry are a huge part of this election. I don't we should turn a blind eye to those that seek to normalize prejudice. Though I see no need to raise it again, unless others raise it first.

Accusing all supporters of Ford of being racist is ignorant and simplistic. It does nothing to encourage discussion of why nearly a third of Toronto residents still support this oaf, even after the disclosure of his drug use, buffoonery and thoughtless comments.

I wouldn't say that all Ford supporters are racist, but I will say without reservation that they are ignorant.

Being opposed to marriage in general is a matter of personal preference. Piling on top of one of the most consistently discriminated and persecuted groups (globally, throughout the span of modern history) is indicative of an anti-social personality who would damage rather than improve the social contract. Nobody said that bigots should not be tolerated, they simply are, in my humble opinion, unfit to govern for the benefit of all.

I for one refuse to tolerate bigots. If you're bigoted and, more importantly, know that you're bigoted, I want absolutely nothing to do with you.

I wouldn't say that all Ford supporters are racist, but I will say without reservation that they are ignorant.

It's the Jerry Springer crowd, for sure.

It's unfortunate we live in an age where "fame" and "celebretardation" are more important to voters than issues and policies. They are entertained by Ford's antics, enjoy the circus around him, and would vote for him based solely on his celebrity appeal and the chance to !OMG! take a selfie with him. It is the movie Idiocracy brought to life. No wonder I drink.

If this is what it is that we cannot complain when Ford gets elected. Either that or you have to admit the voters have culpability for the last 4 years. At the end of the day, the people are just as responsible as Ford, since they voted him in.

Of course, as the saying goes - in a democracy the people gets the government it deserves. The only problem is, what is "the people"?

AoD

anywhooooo
i would like some debate about Toronto becoming a province in it's own right, too many issues are clouded by QueensPark or the feds not living up to their responsibilities. Development should be overseen by city not the OMB and transport should more cohesive and not a political football.

i did not "claim" that rob ford isn't a racist i said simply that i didn't see it. And calling people names on a public board is a form of bullying. Again I do not know what evidence anyone has, other than his avoiding Pride, that ford is a bigot. And I do not see how racism is HUGE part of this election. Maybe that is how you see it I disagree.

i did not "claim" that rob ford isn't a racist i said simply that i didn't see it.
Do you not recall the various tapes and reports that were released of Rob Ford using racist slurs, just before he confessed his wide-ranging drug usage, and went into rehab?

Rob Ford was quoted as saying:
Nobody sticks up for people like I do, every fucking kike, nigger, fucking wop, dago—whatever the race. Nobody does. I’m the most racist guy around. I’m the mayor of Toronto.”
- See Integrity Commissioner Investigating Rob Ford’s Bigotry

Before that all blew up, there were other reports of him using racist slurs. One example was the March 2012 indicdent where he called a taxi driver a Paki, making fun of his accent, and threw business cards at him l - see Toronto mayor Rob Ford 'snorted cocaine with prostitute'

These incidents were widely reported both here, and around the world. It's hard to see how you could have missed this.

And calling people names on a public board is a form of bullying.
I don't believe that any individual here has been called names.

tiresome discussion

I have not heard any of the "tapes" that you refer to, this discussion began when YOU said John Tory supported racists/bigots and therefore he himself was a racist/bigot. Somehow this veered off into stuff about Gay marriage I have no idea how. I don't know why you think IF rob ford said what you CLAIM he said how that makes JOHN TORY a racist/bigot. That was the original discussion. I repeat I don't think RACISM is a "HUGE" topic in this Mayoral campaign. You have tied this important debate up in knots because of YOUR agenda - why don't you run for mayor and then we can slander you on public forums.
Again I say I have NOT heard any of the tapes that you are referring to - GET IT?

sheeeeshh

I have not heard any of the "tapes" that you refer to ...
And this is where this becomes just totally implausible.

Your possibly the only person on the entire planet who hasn't heard about this. I really have to think your just trolling us here!

Back