News   Jul 26, 2024
 916     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.2K     3 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

how is being opposed to gay marriage evil? It is his belief and in a city that respects diversity he is entitled to it. How does that make him evil? And to say "everyone" knows he is a bigot is absurd, you may believe he is a bigot and want your opinion backed up but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you. Again I don't see it. And it is not a requirement that the mayor attend pride week. If you want diversity you have to respect when someone holds different views than you.

And it is not a requirement that the mayor attend pride week. If you want diversity you have to respect when someone holds different views than you.

By not attending the Pride Parade, which is a huge event and brings a lot of revenue and attention to the city, he is sending a clear message that he does not support the LGBT community. Ford obviously does not seem comfortable with LGBT issues, and a mayor should be seen as proud to represent ALL facets and faces of the city, despite their personal convictions or privately held views.

It is like how both Chow and Tory pandered to the religious base by offering "prayers" to Rob this morning during the church debate. I doubt either truly believes in such things, but they have to appear as if they do. Even if it offends (or perhaps more accurately, disappoints) non-believers like myself. I know how the machine works, so I let it slide. Ford is unable to even fake his way into appearing tolerant, supportive, or compassionate, because he truly is none of those things.

It might be simplistic, but it's the sad truth.

Everyone knows Rob Ford is racist. Only a racist, supports a racist.

You might be the only one. My gosh, how can you claim he's not a bigot? He has publicly opposed same-sex marriage. How can anyone possibly be that utterly evil?
You claimed not to know Iron Sheik, didn't you?

how is being opposed to gay marriage evil? It is his belief and in a city that respects diversity he is entitled to it. How does that make him evil? And to say "everyone" knows he is a bigot is absurd, you may believe he is a bigot and want your opinion backed up but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you. Again I don't see it. And it is not a requirement that the mayor attend pride week. If you want diversity you have to respect when someone holds different views than you.

By not attending the Pride Parade, which is a huge event and brings a lot of revenue and attention to the city, he is sending a clear message that he does not support the LGBT community. Ford obviously does not seem comfortable with LGBT issues, and a mayor should be seen as proud to represent ALL facets and faces of the city, despite their personal convictions or privately held views.

It is like how both Chow and Tory pandered to the religious base by offering "prayers" to Rob this morning during the church debate. I doubt either truly believes in such things, but they have to appear as if they do. Even if it offends (or perhaps more accurately, disappoints) non-believers like myself. I know how the machine works, so I let it slide. Ford is unable to even fake his way into appearing tolerant, supportive, or compassionate, because he truly is none of those things.

Ok, not going to pride was bad but on July 1 where would you rather be? Muskoka, chilling out or in the middle of a parade sweating like a hog. I would not go to pride either

Ok, not going to pride was bad but on July 1 where would you rather be? Muskoka, chilling out or in the middle of a parade sweating like a hog. I would not go to pride either

What he wants is not germane - it's his job. Besides, the parade isn't on July 1, and that never prevented him from showing up for Canada Day celebrations/exposure either.

AoD

If you'd rather be in Muskoka chilling out while your city hosts the first World Pride ever held in North America, then don't be mayor of Toronto.

Which is ridiculous to justify or support. The machine doesn't have to work that way, and people don't have to accept lies.

People prefer lies. Bullshit is the fabric that holds society together. While I yearn (indeed, ACHE) for a world where there are no churches or religions or any superstitious sorcery of any kind, and intellect and reason are valued instead of reviled, the majority of people aren't "there" yet. Let them continue to wallow in their bliss. For now. We know better, and that's all that matters. An unfortunate side-effect of politics is that honesty, rationality, and straight-talk are alienating to the unwashed masses who need their bubbles of fantasy to function.

If Chow or Tory told us how they really feel about anything, their numbers would spiral into complete freefall. It's a balancing act of convictions and theatre.

We live in, and act in contradictions to at least some of our values at least some of the time - it's called etiquette, politeness and following rules (written and implicit) around impartiality, which is particularly important for anyone in positions of power.

AoD

how is being opposed to gay marriage evil?
How is it not? It's highly bigoted. What kind of evil bigot would oppose gay marriage?

If you want diversity you have to respect when someone holds different views than you.
Not when the opinion is highly bigoted. Should I accept the diversity of people who want to keep slaves?

You claimed not to know Iron Sheik, didn't you?
I did indeed. I googled him after, and it appears he's an aging Iranian actor/wrestler. Never heard of him ... not sure the relevance.

What he wants is not germane - it's his job. Besides, the parade isn't on July 1, and that never prevented him from showing up for Canada Day celebrations/exposure either.

AoD

If you'd rather be in Muskoka chilling out while your city hosts the first World Pride ever held in North America, then don't be mayor of Toronto.

First off I never said it was on July 1. I said if he wants to go up North he can. There is no reason to force someone to be there. It's about what's germane. It's about the fact you don't have to sour the parade in the first place. Learn to pick your battles. If Norm went then that's fine.
People prefer lies. Bullshit is the fabric that holds society together. While I yearn (indeed, ACHE) for a world where there are no churches or religions or any superstitious sorcery of any kind, and intellect and reason are valued instead of reviled, the majority of people aren't "there" yet. Let them continue to wallow in their bliss. For now. We know better, and that's all that matters. An unfortunate side-effect of politics is that honesty, rationality, and straight-talk are alienating to the unwashed masses who need their bubbles of fantasy to function.

If Chow or Tory told us how they really feel about anything, their numbers would spiral into complete freefall. It's a balancing act of convictions and theatre.

We live in, and act in contradictions to at least some of our values at least some of the time - it's called etiquette, politeness and following rules (written and implicit) around impartiality, which is particularly important for anyone in positions of power.

AoD
Which is ridiculous to justify or support. The machine doesn't have to work that way, and people don't have to accept lies.

If this is what it is that we cannot complain when Ford gets elected. Either that or you have to admit the voters have culpability for the last 4 years. At the end of the day, the people are just as responsible as Ford, since they voted him in.

How is it not? It's highly bigoted. What kind of evil bigot would oppose gay marriage?

Not when the opinion is highly bigoted. Should I accept the diversity of people who want to keep slaves?

I did indeed. I googled him after, and it appears he's an aging Iranian actor/wrestler. Never heard of him ... not sure the relevance.
First off don't compare this to slavery. That's offensive. Number two, you either lied about not knowing the Iron Sheik or don't want to admit Olivia screwed up. Point is less then 50 days to election, people don't care about this stuff. He should be last if they did.

First off don't compare this to slavery. That's offensive.
Surely making light of such legally and socially unacceptable bigotry against gay marriage is offensive.

Number two, you either lied about not knowing the Iron Sheik or don't want to admit Olivia screwed up.
I've never supported Chow. I've clearly stated I'm want to see someone else in this race. And Chow herself has said she screwed up ... what would possess me to not want to admit that a candidate I don't favour screwed up when they themselves admit it.

Last edited:
I think this is the most divisive and upsetting mayoral race in a long long time. The Fords, and their supporters, have opened up a huge chasm. We need, ultimately, a mayor who can effect some cooling off, and then some healing. This is just plain gross, and actually very un-Toronto. I will survey the candidates again with all of this in mind.

This one is a soft-ball.

We live in an advanced society which depends on a relatively fair, inclusive and equitable social contract to continue functioning in a harmonious fashion. Individuals certainly do hold anti-social points of view, though I'd argue that those who do so explicitly should not be allowed to govern. Once that social contract begins to degrade, things get bad for all of us. Not so hard to understand.

Now, regarding the point of tolerating intolerance, I see that as attempting to obfuscate the point with circuitous logic. Being tolerant does not mean agreement, and being tolerant of a point of view does not necessarily make it right. Again, basic competence should be the standard.

obfuscate the point with circuitous logic? DUDE marriage is a outdated social construct based on the essential inequality of two parties, TOLERANT means accepting others with all their flaws as they accept you with all yours. Other people's opinions/beliefs are not evil - judging them as such IS

Back